Multipower Pools and Slots

Vanguard

Question

This came up in a conversation the other day and I thought I'd go directly to the source for the answer.

If you have a multipower with say a 60 point pool in it and then you have 2 ultra slots that are 30 pnts, could you use both slots at the same time?

One of my friends says that no, you can't because they're ultra slots so they take up all the points in the multipower.

The other friend says you can because each slots, regardless of what power level you use the individual powers at, only take 30 points.

Both the above friends have been playing since Champs 1 so I don't know if this is an individual interpretation of the rules or if something changed during the various editions until we evolved with what we have now. Friend #1 also mentioned something about your multipower only able to have a pool equal to the biggest AP Slot power.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Thanks for your time Steve

1 answer to this question

Re: Multipower Pools and Slots

Yes, you can use both slots in the situation you describe. As it specifically states on page 317 of the rulebook, "When a character uses a Fixed slot, he must always allocate reserve points equal to the Active Points of the power in the slot." It does not say "A Fixed slot always uses the entire reserve, regardless of the slot's size." So, if you have a 60-point reserve with two 30-point Fixed slots, you can use both slots at once since each only takes up 30 points of the reserve.