Healing, Regeneration, Lost Limbs

A thought struck me, this one stemming directly from reading the Powers section of UMM.

Healing, Regeneration Only + Regrow Limbs

or even Healing + Regrow Limbs

Since Regrow Limbs is an Adder in and of itself it's a flat cost. But once you factor in any Advantages on the Healing Power (such as all that stuff on Regeneration) it becomes a bit more expensive.

What if regenerating limbs were to be defined as:

Extra Limbs; Inherent; Only To Replace Lost Limbs (-?)

6 points gives you an infinite number of limbs that act as the default limbs (mechanically) you come with (2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head). The Limitation (value unknown, game dependent I suppose) means you can only use it to grow limbs you started with and subsequently lost. (if it's a -1/4 we're down to 5 Points - the same as the Adder on Healing.)

You lose a Leg just activate your Extra Limbs Power and it grows back. *poof*

Lowers the Active Points of Healing/Regen. And I think cleans up the power a little more as well.

Or am I just being a munchkin here?

Re: Healing, Regeneration, Lost Limbs

This seems a reasonable approach. A charactre with Extra limbs - unlimited tentacles need never worry about regrowing a limb. Why shoud it cost more to avoid losing the limbs you already have?

However, this doesn't completely eliminate "Regenerate Limbs", as the Extra limbs construct won't restore someone else's lost limb (I guess you could make it UAA, but then you have to maintain it in perpetuity).

This seems a reasonable approach. A charactre with Extra limbs - unlimited tentacles need never worry about regrowing a limb. Why shoud it cost more to avoid losing the limbs you already have?

However, this doesn't completely eliminate "Regenerate Limbs", as the Extra limbs construct won't restore someone else's lost limb (I guess you could make it UAA, but then you have to maintain it in perpetuity).

Ah, the first hole in the idea. Healing inherently already restores others limbs without further actions/need for the Healer.

Perhaps an Advantage to turn Extra Limbs into an Adjustment Power like Healing is? I think that pushes us back towards being complicated though.

Otherwise the only other idea I have for restoring limbs is Transform, or going back to the Adder for the Healing Power. hmmm.

You know, perhaps this is one of those moments where altering the letter of the rules to match the spirit isn't such a bad idea. UAA on Extra Limbs built this way could simply restore the limb indefinitely without all the other hooha that comes with typical UAA applications.

It's also worth pointing out Limb Regeneration built this way does not restore lost BODY, that has to heal normally.

The extra limbs thing seems like a pretty good idea in general, certainly for self-regeneration. Making it useable by others, uncontrolled and persistant really doesn't seem too far out to regrow other people's limbs. You might want to link it to the healing, or it could be entirely seperate. There's no real reason why this should be a hugely expensive effect.

Also might want to limit it a little if it can only RE-ATTACH a severed limb- If your arm is dissolved by acid or bitten off and swallowed by a monster, you're out of luck.

You know, perhaps this is one of those moments where altering the letter of the rules to match the spirit isn't such a bad idea. UAA on Extra Limbs built this way could simply restore the limb indefinitely without all the other hooha that comes with typical UAA applications.

It's also worth pointing out Limb Regeneration built this way does not restore lost BODY, that has to heal normally.

All you should have to do is buy it Persistent, so you don't have to maintain line of sight, and Inherent, so it can't be Dispelled. Or make it Uncontrolled and Inherent, and have the way to turn off the Uncontrolled being "chop it off again".

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

The only "issue" with using UAA and this construct is if the Power Owner dies or is otherwise removed - all the Limbs to "healed" disappear unless the GM decides that a UAA Regenerated Limb is permanent (until cut off again at least).

Extra Limbs is already Persistant.

No purchase needed.

It is normally Persistent with regards to keeping it going when you are unconscious, yes, but would you allow it to work without line-of-sight when UAA is added as well?

My preference is to agree with you, but I could see it going either way, especially if the Power is considered to cheap for what it does. I also prefer using Uncontrolled.

The only "issue" with using UAA and this construct is if the Power Owner dies or is otherwise removed - all the Limbs to "healed" disappear unless the GM decides that a UAA Regenerated Limb is permanent (until cut off again at least).

Sure, but Uncontrolled is generally considered to be separate from the one with the Power, so it's permanent until cut off (the way to reverse it). This seems to me to be no more unreasonable than having a Transform: Sick to Well, with the reversal conditions being catching the disease again.

Sure' date=' but Uncontrolled is generally considered to be separate from the one with the Power, so it's permanent until cut off (the way to reverse it). This seems to me to be no more unreasonable than having a Transform: Sick to Well, with the reversal conditions being catching the disease again.[/quote']

UAA Uncontrolled seems a good way to do it. I would say it would have to be at the -1 Level of Uncontrolled.

I think you can build enough advantages on to the Extra Limbs to make it workable. Let's see: Extra limbs (5 points),

Inherent (+1/4)

Usable Against Others (+1) - the target will control how the arms are used, so UAA seems overkill, however Usable By Others means we have to buy multiple uses, and each user would then be able to regenerate lost limbs on its own unless we take the power away.

Persistent (+1/2 - 5er says you need this even if the base power was persistent to avoid the LOS issue)

"Inherent" (+1/4) - bought again to make the restored limbs inherent to the target, so they won't vanish even if the power owner dies.

only to restore/replace lost limbs (-1)

So that's 15 AP, 7.5 RP. Healing lost limbs is a 5 point adder. If we make the limitation -2, we'd get a 5 point power as well, but the Healing approach requires also buying some Healing, and it costs END, so the 7.5 result is probably reasonable.