A TARDIS in the Batcave

Mark Rand

Moments after an unconscious, or dead, Batman was unmasked, Keiko, his engineer, and Alfred, his butler, heard a cyclic wheezing, groaning noise from their left. Turning, they saw an old-style telephone booth with a blinking light on top of it appear.

"My word," Alfred said.

"Yeah," Keiko, who had been flipping switches on the communications board, said. "What is that thing?"

"I don't know," Alfred replied.

The door opened and a tall, dark-haired man in a three piece suit walked out. With him were three women. The first wore black leathers. The second wore a white nurse's uniform and cap. The third wore the kind of uniform flight attendants wore in the 1960s. "Is this Heathrow Airport in 2114?" the man asked.

"No," Alfred replied. "This is Gotham City, New Jersey, in the year 2007."

"We came to the wrong coordinates, again," the nurse said.

"At least we're on the right planet this time," the flight attendant said in a cheerful tone. "Last time we tried for Heathrow, we ended up on Rigel 4 in the year 4411."

"I'll just make a slight adjustment to the TARDIS controls and we'll be on our way," the man said. Less than a minute later, they heard a scream and a loud thump. There was also the smell of smoke in the air.

"We're in trouble," the nurse said as the three women entered. Curious, Alfred and Keiko followed. After checking the man over, the nurse said, "He has a lump on his head."

The man came to, looked around, and said, "The demat circuit is fried. That means we're stuck here."

Re: A TARDIS in the Batcave

I know that this idea might seem somewhat silly, and it just might be. However, it isn't new. The third Doctor was trapped on Earth for a while.

I had considered adding a geisha, a cowgirl, and a woman warrior in armor to the TARDIS crew, but it just didn't seem to work.

Comments, questions, and suggestions on this idea are requested.

You can never have too many Time Lords in a campaign in my opinion. Of course' date=' I being a sneaky bugger, wouldn't make it so obvious up front.[/quote']

Yeah, you're right.

I probably should have had it appear earlier, looking like a part of the cave's rocky structure.

I could've also had the flight attendant be either the nurse or the cat burglar (that's what the lady in the leathers is). Some flight attendants have nursing degrees and three flight attendants moonlighted as cat burglars in the McCloud third season episode The Barefoot Stewardess Caper.

One idea I had would've given the Time Lord a different crew. His first companion would be a suave and debonair male cat burglar (probably with a multipower for his most common tools and a VPP for the rest of it).

The second person to join the crew was the airline stewardess, who had once been employed as a hotel maid. Her offer to keep the domestic side running smoothly was accepted. Since she had only four uniforms with her, she usually wore clothes from the wardrobe closet. All that changed when the burglar told her how beautiful she looked in it. Since then, she's always worn her uniform. (Although she's capable of doing most of her chores gloved, she only wears them for dressy occasions.)

A doctor and nurse were the third and fourth to join the crew. Originally called upon to tend an ill companion, they have found a family. In all probability, they have been exposed to, and have knowledge, of futuristic medical equipment and techniques. (In all probability, the nurse wears her one white uniform and cap only on special occasions.)

Other companions may be added.

The TARDIS and crew can be dropped in anywhere, not just the Batcave.

The Time Lord and associates may just be exploring, or looking for a specific enemy, like The Master or The Rani.

A TARDIS's internal space is huge. You probably could fit a small city inside.

Conceivably, a TARDIS could easily hold twenty or thirty companions, all from different ages and worlds.

I think it would be against the flavor of the Doctor to have a calvacade of companions. He never seems to travel with more than three assistants. Even when he was Earth-based, he really only had four (Brigadier, Yates, Benton & Jo). Having more than that in a new "Marooned Doctor" yarn would be stretching it.

I think it would be against the flavor of the Doctor to have a calvacade of companions. He never seems to travel with more than three assistants. Even when he was Earth-based' date=' he really only had four (Brigadier, Yates, Benton & Jo). Having more than that in a new "Marooned Doctor" yarn would be stretching it.[/quote']

Good point. I'm trying to remember who many players the old FASA Doctor Who Role-Playing Game permitted. I think it was six, which would make one Time Lord and five companions.

The Time Lord is Alistanathcalebiviteth of the Arcalian College. His companions call him "Stan".

The first person to join him was Tamara Carlina Fellowes, a pretty, red-headed cat burglar. She's usually referred to as either Tabby or Tabby Cat and has picked up advanced burglary tools and disguise gear on various planets and in various times.

The second is the flight attendant, who is from 1971, where she worked for National Airlines. She graduated from a two-year nursing school and received her R.N. before joining the airline. She has learned quite a bit about nursing since then and the TARDIS has advanced first aid and medical equipment, which she knows how to use.

Back then, flight attendants had to be gloved for promotional appearances, but didn't have to wear them the rest of the time. Here's the URL for a National Airlines history page that has links to other pages on that site: http://www.nationalsundowners.com/nostalgia/stuff10.php. She's wearing the kind of uniform the flight attendant in the TARDIS is wearing. Although capable of working gloved, she rarely wears them in the TARDIS.

I'm sensing a certain importance being attached to whether or not the flight attendant is wearing gloves or not. Is that a big thing for time lords?

Incidentally, nice to see Alistanathcalebiviteth again! I was so proud of myself when I learned to pronounce that!

I'm sensing a certain importance being attached to whether or not the flight attendant is wearing gloves or not. Is that a big thing for time lords?

Incidentally, nice to see Alistanathcalebiviteth again! I was so proud of myself when I learned to pronounce that!

Actually, I was commenting on the difference between what happens in the movies and in the TARDIS. Of the three, Tabby's the one that's gloved most. But then, she's a cat burglar.

I'm considering a different crew for Stan's TARDIS. In consists of Dr. Mark Sloan, from the CBS series Diagnosis: Murder, Vanessa Sellars, a cat burglar that appeared in the Diagnosis: Murder episode The Seven Deadly Sins, Cathy Hunt, a widowed stewardess on a star liner, and Susan Gray, R.N. Both Cathy and Sue are from the 22nd century.

Vanessa joined the TARDIS after Tabby was killed by The Master. That incident forced Stan to regenerate, again.

Mark is a physician specializing in internal medicine and a friend of Vanessa's. He also likes jazz and Glenn Miller, plays chess and several musical instruments, does magic tricks, rollerblades and can dance (soft shoe and tap).

Cathy still wears her stewardess uniform, which consists of a gold short-sleeve dress, a black scarf, elbow-length black gloves, and knee-high black boots. A pin with her first name is at her left breast and a pin with the airline insignia is on the scarf. She also wears a watch on her left wrist and her wedding ring on the right ring finger, over the glove. (Due to an accident when she was six, the skin on Cathy's hands looks like a snake's skin.)

Due to the fact that they were in fashion when she became a nurse, Sue wears the uniform styles, including the cap, worn by nurses in the 1950s through 1970s.