[Character] Doctor Midnight

Certified

Doctor Midnight was partly inspired by the Shadow and Indian Jones. The character mixes minor powers with skills as well as a trusty Pistol and grappling hook and rope. I had used the name while working on the Metahumans Rising setting and it just stuck with me and said Certified ... Build me... I needs to be a full character. As you will see below I gave in. I hope you enjoy.

Doctor Midnight

Alternate IDs: Felix “Doc” Davis

Value Char Base Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 10 5 12- 3d6 / 200.0kg

18 DEX 10 24 13-

18 CON 10 16 13-

15 BODY 10 10 12-

18 INT 10 8 13- PER Roll 13-

20 EGO 10 20 13-

25 PRE 10 15 14- 5d6

12 COM 10 1 11-

3/13 PD 3 0

4/14 ED 4 0

6 SPD 2.8 32

7 REC 7 0

36 END 36 0

32 STUN 32 0

Movement

Running: 6"/12"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Leaping H: 3"

Leaping V: 1 1/2" Swinging: 20"/40"

Basic Combat Stats

BaseOCV: 6 BaseDCV: 6 BaseECV: 7

Levels: +2 with Martial Maneuvers

Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

3/13 PD (0/10 rPD) 4/14 ED (0/10 rED) 0 MD 0 PwrD

END: 36 STUN: 32 BODY: 15

Martial Arts

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

3 Basic Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 7d6 Strike

5 Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Joint Lock/Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND ; Target Falls

4 Killing Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 2d6

3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 35 STR for holding on

4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 Strike

3 Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, 5d6 Strike; Target Falls

Skills

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bugging 13-

3 Climbing 13-

7 Concealment 15-

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 Interrogation 14-

3 Language: Japanese (fluent conversation; literate)

3 Language: Cantonese (fluent conversation; literate)

3 Lockpicking 13-

7 Mechanics 15-

3 Persuasion 14-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Stealth 13-

Perks

3 Fringe Benefit: Lieutenant

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

30 Combat Luck (15 PD/15 ED)

5 Eidetic Memory

Powers

15 Reinforced Duster and Flack Jacket: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4), Real Armor (-1/4) 0

5 Nightvision 0

10 Darkness Field: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, (15 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (Consealment; -1/2)

8 1) Midnight Mist: Darkness to Sight and Radio Groups 2" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (31 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Consealment; -1/2) 3

6 2) Mind Control 6d6 (Human class of minds) (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Target must be within the Midnight Mist; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (Consealment; -1/2) vs Human. 3

6 3) Mind Scan 6d6 (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Target must be within the Midnight Mist; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (Consealment; -1/2) 3

13 Tether Cable and Claw: Multipower, 20-point reserve, (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

2u 1) Tie Down: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF (20 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 2

2u 2) Swinging 20" (20 Active Points) 2

1u 3) Snatch: Stretching 4" (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to grab things and pull them; -1), Always Direct (-1/4) 2

11 .45 Pistol: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 clips of 6 Charges (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) vs ED. [6]

Disadvantages

Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe 20

Social Limitation: Subject to Orders Very Frequently (14-), Major 20

Psychological Limitation: Aversion to Sunlight (Common, Moderate) 10

Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong) 15

Social Limitation: Famous (Frequently, Minor) 10

Susceptibility: Sunlight 1d6 damage per Minute (Very Common) 15

Vulnerability: 2 x Effect From All Light Based Flash Attacks (Common) 20

Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN From Light Attacks (Common) 10

Hunted: Kamikaze 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish) 15

Distinctive Features: Exposed Skin radiates an inky darkness at all times. (Easily Concealed; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) 15

Character Information

Height: 1.81 m Hair: White

Weight: 89.00 kg Eyes: White

Appearance: Doctor Midnight wears a long Kevlar reinforced trench coat and fine suit. His hands and wrists are covered with leather gloves and his face is concealed with a grey bandana and fedora leaving only the bridge of his noise and eyes exposed. His stark white eyes framed in a black aura. When using the Midnight Mist the Doctor removes his hat and bandana.

Background: A member of the first US battalion exposed to Kaiser Box in WWI Corporal Felix “Doc” Davis life was forever changed. As the battled hardened solders fell around him Davis knew this would not be his fate. Something inside was changing.

Under observation for the next four months Felix Davis, Iowa Farmhand fell away replaced by the hero who would be named Doctor Midnight. The Doctor came from his knack with all things mechanical the Midnight came from the gifts left by the events of that faithful night.

Davis was able to absorb light. In truth he spent much of his time in observation learning to control his abilities; although never able to fully shut them off he is able to keep them to a fain aura around his body. It was also during this testing that Davis learned that those who found themselves trapped within the Darkness Field were susceptible to his influences and at times he could even understand their thoughts.

As the First World War pressed on Doctor Midnight was used on several covert missions inside the German Border; repeatedly proving his skill and his ability to use his new found talents. Before the end of the war he would earn the rank of Lieutenant and was considered on of the army’s top men for deep cover recon.

Personality: The Doctor sees his abilities as another tool to aid US as they defend those in need. Although late to join the Second World War Doctor Midnight was a vocal supporter leading up to Pearl Harbor. Unlike many pro-war voices at the time he never spoke ill of the tragedy in Hawaii. Instead the Doctor requested to join the Pacific Theater instead of returning to Europe.

Campaign Use: The character presented is Doctor Midnight at the onset of World War II, before his fall at Nagasaki. Metahumans Rising Background http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57389

Character Costs

Characteristics: 131 Martial Arts: 34

Skills: 65 Perks: 3

Talents: 38 Powers: 79

Base Points: 200

Disadvantages: 150

Unspent Exp: 0

Spent Exp: 0

Total: 350

Re: [Character] Doctor Midnight

The Doctor comes from a nickname he had before his exposure to KB. Due to his knack with machines everyone called him Doc. You know the car doctor.

I can see the resemblance to Doctor Mid-Nite but I must admit I was never a big DC fan and hadn't heard of him or more likely remembered hearing about him.

The comparison to the Shadow was more on the mix natural skill and training with some powers. I don't know if this is why I chose the Mind Scan and Control but I think that it was more to do with the name and vision I had of the character. Pinned down by enemy solders he removes his mask and all hell breaks loose in the confusion. The Indian Jones aspect came from the same piece of almost always outnumbered and having to use his wits and some luck most of the time to survive.

As this Doctor Midnight came together I did try capture that feel of high adventure but not take too much from the character's that inspired

him.