Books of Richard K. Morgan

Killer Shrike

Hey, so I stumbled across Richard K. Morgan a couple of days ago. I've read Market Forces, am wrapping up Thirteen, and have Altered Carbon queued up next. This stuff is pretty good cyberpunk / cybernoir / dystopia / whatever you want to call it.

Anyone else find this material to be useful as inspiration for their games? If nothing else its got me itchin to cycle back to MetaCyber and finish it.

Re: Books of Richard K. Morgan

I read ALtered Carbon, and thought it was absolutely brilliant.

I picked up Broken Angels...and got almost 100 pages in befre I put it down.

Care to elaborate on why? Just couldn't get in to it?

I've read Market Forces, Thirteen, and Altered Carbon so far and planned on getting Broken Angels and Woken Furies this weekend.

I read Woken Furies the last couple of nights. I found it a bit contrived, and the ending to be far too messianistic. While there were some good bits in it from a gaming perspective, it was too deus ex machina for me. Of the five Morgan books I've read in the last couple of weeks its by far my least favorite.

Sorry for the really late reply. RL has been nutty and I haven't been around.

I cannot really pinpoint why Broken Angels[i/] did not do for me what Altered Carbon did. Its entirely possible that I would not have read all of Altered Carbon if it had not come so highly reccomended form a Cyberpunk forum I frequent.

My tolerance for nonlinear plot has a short fuse.

I just don't believe that Broken Angels held my attention form the outset like ALtered Carbon did. I normally give a novel 100 pages to convince me to continue or put it down...that holds true for sequels as much as new endeavors.

That about sums it up. I will have to revisit the book, because if I recall correctly I put it down to pick up somethign I had desperately been waiting to read.