Jurassic Park

Seraphim

I am a big Jurassic Park fan and when the lost world came out I ran a Jurassic Park adventure which went own well with my group. That was many years ago.

Now I have a new group, no players are the same. i started reading the book again, and watched the film and thought about how good my old JP adventures were.

So time to give them the old HERO heave ho. We are creating characters tonight, probably doing a meeting adventure.

Any help anyone can give on adventure seeds would be helpful thanks.

It is going to be set on first island first of all just after the events of JP.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Jurassic Park

If you don't have the Hero System Bestiary, now would be a good time to get it. Lots of dinosaur goodness in it.

If I were to run this sort of thing, I would go with 50+50 point characters. I have not read the books, but the movies seemed to be about the everyman overcoming the odds. Now, some of the everymen (and women) in the films had specialized knowledge, but they were not necessarily combatants.

Background plots that spring to mind;

• Airplane crash, all characters are on the plane and survive the crash. The objective would be to find some way to signal the outside world for help. Once that is accomplished, they have to wait X hours for rescue and avoid becoming Velocichow brand dino snacks.
  • Capture a beast. The characters are part of a zoological expedition intent on capturing one of the beasts. In this case, something relatively harmless. Problem is, the beast they are trying to capture becomes the next big lunch menu item for the T-Rex, Spinosaur, Velociraptor pack, etc. You can spice this up by having a team of poachers on the island trying to back some big game.
  • Backup plan. The autodestruct protein thing described in the first movie didn't work. Your team is called in to finish the job. This is where I would actually go full 75+75. Equip your party for bear (er T-Rex). Then in true JP movie fashion, plot inconvenience theatre rears its ugly head. A storm washes out the camp, dispersing supplies into the nearby ocean via a flash flood. The objective changes to getting out alive. Luckily they left that spare boat on the other side of the island. You get the picture.

It wasn't an autodestruct protein. The dinos didn't produce the Amino Acid Lysine, so any protein that needed it couldn't be made unless the dinos found a source of it (which the park creators provided in their diet supplements).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine

That was it. I suppose I could have been a little more specific, but where is the fun in that. :)

Right, they stop getting it and they die as their body fails since it can't produce any proteins that are dependent on the Lysine Amino Acid.

Lost World showed that the dinos ended up finding a source of it (hence the compys being alive after escaping when they encounter that little girl and her family).