Is this too dark for DC?

Alverant

Re: Is this too dark for DC?

To use your example case' date=' even though OJ was found not guilty most people knew perfectly well he was guilty as sin and were outraged he got off scott free because his lawyers played the race card. You think people would be happier if he'd [i']admitted[/i] his guilt and walked? (OJ essentially bankrupted himself paying for his defense; the only difference is that in our world most of the money went to his lawyers and in yours it would go to the state and victims.)

Actually yes, I think people would be happier of OJ admitted he was guilty. Well let's not say "happier" how about "less unhappy". Like if you were kicked in the shin instead of being kicked in the groin. You'd be happier only because it could have been worse. At least in what I described, the family would have gotten something more than bitter memories and indignation.

In any case, I do admit you are right. If I keep any of it, it will change to bribery. It's illegal, socially unaccepted, and more believable.

There's always the Jennifer Government option: that the government provides only a nominal fee for prosecution, not nearly enough to actual nail anyone with decent defence. In order to actually prosecute offenders, they prosecution relies on donations, usually from the victim, or their family. Thus, poor victims get ignored, while rich victims can buy justice. This is more analogous to the medieval situation, where peasants couldn't hope to get justice against nobles, but nobles could extract it from other nobles. A simple fine is... well, wergild was never that simple, really. And not really compatible with today's notions of individual rights.

If I keep any of it' date=' it will change to bribery. It's illegal, socially unaccepted, and more believable.[/quote']Until just a bit over 100 years ago, bribery of public officials was pretty standard in the US. (Read up on Tammany Hall or the Kansas City Machine). It's less common nowadays, if only because we've created "legitimate" ways to bribe politicians such as donations to their campaign funds. Nobody gets into politics for the money anymore; it's about the power and prestige.

Until just a bit over 100 years ago' date=' bribery of public officials was pretty standard in the US. (Read up on Tammany Hall or the Kansas City Machine). It's less common nowadays, if only because we've created "legitimate" ways to bribe politicians such as donations to their campaign funds. Nobody gets into politics for the money anymore; it's about the power and prestige.[/quote']

Actually I was talking about the legal system, not the political system. The politics of this world are pretty different. The problem is that I have a large dimorphism (for lack of a better word) between local and national politics. That may be tough for the PCs to accept.

Actually I was talking about the legal system' date=' not the political system.[/quote']I'm not sure the two are really separable; especially in the world you are envisioning.

The politics of this world are pretty different. The problem is that I have a large dimorphism (for lack of a better word) between local and national politics. That may be tough for the PCs to accept.
I think it'll be harder for the players. The PCs will have grown up with that system; for them it's business as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where you are going with your campaign but there are a number of 70's and early 80's movies dealing with vigilantism and corrupt / system is broken themes. The Star Chamber (judges privately re-trying cases and hiring a hitman for punishment) and Magnum Force (one of the Dirty Harry movies) are two that I know off the top of my head. These usually dealt with a weak prosecution (criminals have more rights than the victims, evidence thrown out for technicalities etc) but might offer some ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

So I thought, why not just skip the smoke and mirrors and allow defendants to walk away from any charge if they pay a fine equal to what the DA's office the defendant would have to spend to be found not guilty? If the case is strong, then the fine is high. In other words, pay enough cash and you can commit any crime you want and never have a record. Sort of like how corporations settle what they call "nuisance lawsuits" without admitting guilt.

The only hitch I'd have is that once you accept a deal you can't claim harassment or malicious prosecution and the public usually accepts the defendant is guilty with a wink and a nudge.

Found a resource here about how the Frankish kings instituted a pay as you go system for various crimes...

As the site points out, the system was created to stop the vendettas that were destroying the Frankish nobility.