Healing from a major transform

Scifi_Toughguy

Re: Healing from a major transform

1st Edition D&D had a cure as I recall that was fairly bizarre.

If you don't have any particular ideas on what the cure should be, I would do one of two things:

1) Set the healing conditions as "major-league magic or miracles from the gods". It's not very common, but you are GM and presumably it's OK with you. Keep in mind that PCs could get screwed by this.

2) Add a power to all lyncanthropes (0 END Uncontrolled, etc.) that re-gives them lycanthropy faster than they can heal it. This is even nastier than #1, and for NPCs it's not really necessary, but there it is.

3) Come up with a more common cure (for example, "performing a certain ritual /before/ the next full moon").

I think you first need to decide how lycanthropy works in your game.

Traditional werewolves probably couldn't be cured, or if they could, the cure was not at all well known.

You could require, for example, a potion of wolfsbane and silver nitrate to be consumed, and that (if it did not kill you) might be the reversal condition, or a magic spell, or visiting a holy place, or killing the werewolf who 'sired' you, or even managing to succussfully resist the call of teh full moon.

There are alternatives to transform though: you could build a curse as an independent power that you 'infect' another person with. This would explain why werewolves don't just infect everyone - it takes a part of them to do it! The curse could be a multiform power that you have no control over.

You could even build it as a killing attack (either the bite or the disease is deadly) and a summon: once the victim is dead, a wolf-spirit is summoned to inhabit and animate the corpse - but obviously this is NOT the same character - the original is gone. This is perhaps the best way to do a 'permanent' change.

2) Add a power to all lyncanthropes (0 END Uncontrolled, etc.) that re-gives them lycanthropy faster than they can heal it. This is even nastier than #1, and for NPCs it's not really necessary, but there it is.

I like the re-infection idea: the transform could be made continuous and uncontrolled, but even then you need a reasonably obvious or common way to switch off uncontrolled powers.

I put a couple cures in my game: the first is an herb that if you take it within 24 hours (wolf'sbane) that will cure you. The second is an herb that if you take it before you change the first time it will cure you - much more rare.

The third is a special well in a sylvan forest of great purity that is hard to find and attain, it requires a special quest.

You can define it however you want in your campaign, maybe it's easy to cure, maybe it's impossible.

I'm thinking its more of a genetic engineered thingy in my campaign. Simlar to Fenris in Champs but reproducable and able to be reverse engineered. I just wanted to make sure I was using the rules correctly.

If the transform (which is linked to a HKA) is only cureable by a few limited things does this automatically increase the cost of the power?