Pulp/Steampunk SF Ideas

tkdguy

Re: Pulp/Steampunk SF Ideas

Even though its out in the future because I am working on an ambitious and long term Champs campaign, this thread has inspired me to start taking some notes on a pulpish SF game idea with some similiar themes. I have also started to read AE van Vogt's Transgalactic collection of short stories. The first story includes an invasion of Venus and Mars which have helped to inspire some thoughts of mine. Since its pretty far out I still haven't put much thought into ship design (though it will likely be more art deco than steampunk), and weapons will definitaly be 'ray guns.'

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and weapons will definitaly be 'ray guns.'

In Parasite Planet by Stanley G. Weinbaum, the space explorers have unusual weapons: flame pistols. They shoot a intense flare of flame with a range of a hundred feet.

The drawback is, the ammo is a (cheap) black diamond. And 50% of the time when you fire the gun, the barrel shatters. You have to carry some replacement barrels.

Nyrath' date=' those flame pistols sound deadly to the wielder as well. Are the gunmen ever hit by the shrapnel?[/quote']

Not in the novel. They are used against the giant amoeba "dough-pots" of Venus. Unless you incinerate every single cell, the evil creatures regenerate.

• 5 months later...