Extraordinary Characteristic Rolls

Mister E

Re: Extraordinary Characteristic Rolls

I like SM 1&2, but I prefer Akira and the first of the Matrix trilogy as superhero films. I appreciated Daredevil too, though, so my opinion may be suspect.

Anyway, the problem with this approach, fun as it can be, is that it means that anything can be accomplished. That sounds cool, right? Infinite choice!

No, not really.

Infinite choice means in fact that choice becomes arbitrary, or based purely on aesthetic, and as no two people will have quite the same aesthetic you are never going to reach a harmonious solution.

Moreover, the ability to circumvent the rules of the game and indeed the rules of narrative take away the import and force of those rules: you are no longer playing in a game world, but in th eunbounded imagination of the GM. That may be cool if the GM is an excellent storyteller, but that is what you are then getting - a story - not a truly interactive roleplaying experience: if the GM doesn't like your suggestion then you have a problem. A strong GM will impose his own rules arbitrarily and a strong player will not have any limit to what he can get away with.

I do appreciate this is a bit of a doomsday outcome for what is basically a fun idea, but if you take away the rules, anything can happen.

Be careful out there. Someone might throw a river at you, or use their extreme COM to seduce the plot.

Right.

In the new multiplanar fantasy I'm working up, the PC's will start off with 150 charater points, and most of them will have extraordinary skills (which are cheaper and easier to control, in my mind).

The extraordinary characteristics are for later... :nonp:

Re: Extraordinary Characteristic Rolls

I think I might let players do an XBOD roll using their normal undamaged BODY ...like an X-D Movement "wish" (-12 to XBOD roll): "alive and recovering; though should be dead" :D

I mean... I know if I had a character with 120 BODY (and/or CON) I'd probably insist on one of these rolls every round I should be dead (and/or unconscious:p. :eek:).

... but I'm not a player right now... I also think it's silly to gain immortality by being big... except went Paul's kid did it... freakin wyrms. :cool:;)