Extraordinary Characteristic Rolls

Mister E

“Perfection does not exist in doing extraordinary things, but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.”

- Angelique Arnauld

(I just think the idea of bending reality with your raw strength is cool... and funny.... :) )

Optional Rule: Extraordinary Characteristics (perform Powers with XCHA rolls @ -10 to CHA roll... -1 to XCHA roll per 5 active pts of Power performed)

Example: "Truly Titanic/Silver-Age-Kryptonian Strength"... STR 120... STR roll 33-... XSTR roll 23-... Power active point penalty to "bend reality"*, -12 (60 apts) to XSTR roll... final roll, 11-.

*X-D Movement: (Any location in any dimention and any time... 60apts)

The ability to bend reality with your raw STR (w/ an 11- XCHA roll) happens at STR 120. At this level of strength, a character can pick up rivers and stuff.

Re: Extraordinary Characteristic Rolls

(I just think the idea of bending reality with your raw strength is cool... and funny.... :) )

Optional Rule: Extraordinary Characteristics (perform Powers with XCHA rolls @ -10 to CHA roll... -1 to XCHA roll per 5 active pts of Power performed)

Example: "Truly Titanic/Silver-Age-Kryptonian Strength"... STR 120... STR roll 33-... XSTR roll 23-... Power active point penalty to "bend reality"*, -12 (60 apts) to XSTR roll... final roll, 11-.

*X-D Movement: (Any location in any dimention and any time... 60apts)

The ability to bend reality with your raw STR (w/ an 11- XCHA roll) happens at STR 120. At this level of strength, a character can pick up rivers and stuff.

I applaud your inventiveness whilst shuddering in horror at the possibilities this opens up :nonp::eg::ugly:

SPD: Do you remember when Superman, in the movie, made time go backwards to save Lois?

So do I, unfortunately.

Ugh. I'm all for "comic book physics" allowing all sorts of funky stuff... but making the Earth spin the other way making time run backwards is just too much for my taste. :thumbdown

What can you accomplish with other extraordinary characteristics?

Lucius Alexander

What do you expect, a palindromedary?

Well, I was thinking that Extraordinary Presence could be used to produce the "full divine manifestation" of dieties... the kind that kills mortals. I haven't figured out a build that I like, however.

It would be neat if it could be worked out to resembled the turn-undead power of most priest builds.

Regarding Superman making the Earth spin backward: is it explicitly stated in the movie that that's what's happening? I agree that that wouldn't make any sense.

However, I've heard an alternate explanation: Superman is going backward in time, so from his perspective, the universe is running backward . . . including seeing the Earth spin the other direction. THAT makes a lot of sense to me, but having not seen the movie myself, I don't know if it really fits.

Regarding Superman making the Earth spin backward: is it explicitly stated in the movie that that's what's happening? I agree that that wouldn't make any sense.

However, I've heard an alternate explanation: Superman is going backward in time, so from his perspective, the universe is running backward . . . including seeing the Earth spin the other direction. THAT makes a lot of sense to me, but having not seen the movie myself, I don't know if it really fits.

I always saw it as Superman going so fast he was traveling backwards in time, something he did regularly in the Silver Age.

And see the movie; Superman 1&2 are some of the best Superhero movies out there, especially for their time. They still hold up fairly well today.

SPD: Do you remember when Superman, in the movie, made time go backwards to save Lois?

So do I, unfortunately.

We're going to allow characteristic rolls on figured characteristics?

Hm. What might happen if I make an extraordinary STUN roll?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks what Lucius really wants right now is an extraordinary dinner roll, and the rest of the dinner too....

i like the idea. its a mega skill based on existing powers far more powerful than just a power stunt but i dont think you should be able to buy the ability in and of its self

id make it a skill roll with a diff= -1/5 so superman wants to fix the world to save his lady it would be a maga scale heal 1d6 with reserct added a power like that would cost like 150 points <-im guessing) so the dif penelty would be -30 from his skill check or some such

I like SM 1&2, but I prefer Akira and the first of the Matrix trilogy as superhero films. I appreciated Daredevil too, though, so my opinion may be suspect.

Anyway, the problem with this approach, fun as it can be, is that it means that anything can be accomplished. That sounds cool, right? Infinite choice!

No, not really.

Infinite choice means in fact that choice becomes arbitrary, or based purely on aesthetic, and as no two people will have quite the same aesthetic you are never going to reach a harmonious solution.

Moreover, the ability to circumvent the rules of the game and indeed the rules of narrative take away the import and force of those rules: you are no longer playing in a game world, but in th eunbounded imagination of the GM. That may be cool if the GM is an excellent storyteller, but that is what you are then getting - a story - not a truly interactive roleplaying experience: if the GM doesn't like your suggestion then you have a problem. A strong GM will impose his own rules arbitrarily and a strong player will not have any limit to what he can get away with.

I do appreciate this is a bit of a doomsday outcome for what is basically a fun idea, but if you take away the rules, anything can happen.

Be careful out there. Someone might throw a river at you, or use their extreme COM to seduce the plot.

Ugh. I'm all for "comic book physics" allowing all sorts of funky stuff... but making the Earth spin the other way making time run backwards is just too much for my taste. :thumbdown

I think you have it backwards. He didn't make the Earth spin backwards thus causing time to reverse, he reversed time around the Earth, thereby causing an outside observer to see it apparently rotating backwards.

Still a really stupid thing to put in the movie IMO.

Power Skill is already in the rules, limited only by the GMs interpretation. This is just an example of allowing a Power Skill: Strength Tricks roll based on the STR stat.

Your doomsday scenario already happened; it wasn't so bad.

Doomsday wasn't so bad? Where were you? Behind a safe fence? I still haven't been able to find allt eh body parts! :D

Which in my mind raises the question of which the roll should be based upon -- the character's original STUN' date=' or their current STUN?[/quote']

I once suggested basing PS: Gladiator on BODy.

Which means as you're injured, the roll goes down.

What do you get with an Extraordinary BODy roll?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests : A job as a model?

CON covers general endurance and resistance to pain; BOD resists death, dismemberment, and resistance to transformations. Maybe an Extraordinary Body roll would get you back the use of a disabled limb, instant recovery from illness, or similar remarkable feats of healing.

There's no such thing in standard HERO as a characteristic roll based on figured CHA, so you get whatever the GM says you get if he chooses to add them. ;)

What do you get with an Extraordinary BODy roll?

Tough one. I don't go too crazy with "the BODY"... saving it more for size/mass differences, and advanced/supernatural physiologies. Also, I've never thought that BODY scaled the same as other characteristics.

Still... I would think that a standard BODY roll would be good for some kind of test of corporeal integrity.

... BOD resists death' date=' dismemberment, and resistance to transformations. Maybe an Extraordinary Body roll would get you back the use of a disabled limb, instant recovery from illness, or similar remarkable feats of healing.[/quote']

Perhaps as an opposed XCHA roll vs. the XPRE attack ("true divine manifestation") that destroys mortals? :think:

... and/or to do crazy things (with the X-D "wish" power simulating feats of 'mythic' corporeality): like magically drinking down the shore-line; swallowing a pantheon; giving birth to a dragon/mountain/language; or some other such 'fantastic-ness' that does (or does not) involve digestion, procreation, or dragons...

Dude... that's a lot of BODY...