X-Wing

Jachra

What's a good Dexterity to go at?

I'm really stuck with it being Size 8, given that's about how big an X-Wing is, and -5 is a chunk. They're s'posed to be hard to hit, after all, and almost any schmuck can hit something at DCV 2 (if I, say, set it to the Dexterity to 20 or went at maximum Combat speed and used that.)

Oh, also, would DCV-dedicated 5-point CSLs apply to snubfighter combat?

Re: X-Wing

Any schmuck can hit something at DCV 2 at point blank range.

Most vehicle combats dont take place so close.

Even in cinematic space combat, ranges will probably usually be at least 50 to 100 meters, which is to say 25 to 50 hexes, which is to say -6 to -8 for range. Closer ranges are possible, but would require a feat of piloting, IMHO.

Now, while your Xwing is DCV 2 (7, -5 for size) the guy shooting at it is down 6 OCV. An average (trained) Schmuck (DEX 10) shooting without any help (no targetting computer, no tracking the target (set/Brace)), is OCV -3, and has a 7- to hit (about a 1in 6 chance).

I'm really stuck with it being Size 8, given that's about how big an X-Wing is, and -5 is a chunk. They're s'posed to be hard to hit, after all, and almost any schmuck can hit something at DCV 2 (if I, say, set it to the Dexterity to 20 or went at maximum Combat speed and used that.)

Another thing to keep in mind, unless I'm muddling this up, is that a vehicle's SPD and DEX is it's own SPD/DEX or the SPD/DEX of the pilot or driver whichever is lower.

Simply raising the stats on the vehicle won't help unless you've got a highly trained pilot in there. If Outsider's argument doesn't convince you, you could put some levels in their, but I've noticed this isn't usually done.

Use relative size modifiers and Velocity Based DCV. Tends to make big things harder to hit. Especially by other big things.

J,

Do you by any chance have The Ultimate Vehicle?

It's a great all around resource and in addition to having a solid section on space vehicles, it's got excellent ideas for how to run vehicle play...

[pimp online store]

And, of course, you can get it direct from Hero with no shipping costs...

[/pimp online store]