Lots of power, little control.

Nagisawa Takumi

Alrighty, I'm making a Pyrokinetic for a game that's built on 200 pts. (He's a 16-17 year old kid, not much in the way of skills.)

As the title says, he has a lot of actual power, but like Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat) for those of you who remember the old X-man during her Excalibur days, he has to keep concentrating on keeping it under control. While she needed to concentrate to keep physical, he has to so that he doesn't start setting things on fire.

However, I'm at a loss as to how to model that part.

Any suggestions?

Re: Lots of power, little control.

Hrm... Hmmm.

Not sure if that'll work for what I have in mind...

There's also the bit (which I forgot to mention) where if he doesn't release his powers for a while (No idea how long yet), he'll start to expel hideous amounts of flaming plasma energy for about 10 or so minutes.

That one, I was thinking of having be an uncontrolled effect with a trigger of some sort.

Also, he's completely immune to his own power. It won't burn him up, or damage him in the least, it's an instinctive self-defense mechanism so that he won't die to it.

And for the record, I'm a complete FrED newbie.

I can think of several different approaches given time, simplest to most difficult to implement.

• A Damage Shield Fire RKA and Accidental Change when enraged or under extreme stress.
  • A custom limit on all powers: Act 11- when not enraged or upset. (-3/4)
  • Multiform to a "Firestarter form" that has all sorts of problematic enrages and psych limits plus most of the fire powers. The normal form has Accidental Change to Firestarter when upset/enraged/hurt.
  • A custom disadvantage called "Automatic Power Use" built on Enraged and Accidental Change. So that if the character gets upset at something he has to make an 11- roll or use a power on it.
  • A lot of Enrage limits with 14- recoveries, which will make the character nigh unto unplayable.

Can't abandon the newbies. I believe they are the future; teach them well and let them lead the way.

200 pt character? Probably max 9 DCs and I'm going to assume a hard Active Point cap, meaning that you can't stack on a heap of Advantages and then whittle it back down with a heap of Limitations. How about this?

23 EC: Pyrokinesis

11 1)Hotfoot 1d6 RKA Area Effect: Radius, Selective, Indirect: All, No Range, No KB (+2 advantages, -1 limitations, 45 Active, 23 Real)

11 2)Bonfire 2d6 RKA AE: Explosion, No Range, No KB (+1/2, -1, 45 Active, 23 Real)

12 3)Fireproof 23 ED Force Field 0 END, Persistent, Only vs. Flame/Heat/Plasma (+1, -1, 46 Active, 23 Real)

22 4)Hotspur 3d6 RKA No KB

3 Life Support: Intense Heat

Leaves you with 118 pts for stats and skills. Slot 1 lets you precisely ignite anything within range, even through transparent barriers or past Force Walls. Slot 2 is venting plasma in all directions from yourself. Slot 3 will make you virtually invulnerable to flame, although you could just buy Personal Immunity (+1/4 Advantage) to your own powers if you were simply immune to only your plasma. Slot 4 gives you an attack with a little more kick and range. Life Support is flavor, but it seems appropriate for the character.

With experience (and Experience) you'll probably want to spin Slot 4 off the Elemental Control into the basis of a Multipower, where you'll have NND Heatstroke slots, non lethal EBs, Continuous attacks that light things on fire and they stay burning and other more versatile applications of your plasma.

There's also the bit (which I forgot to mention) where if he doesn't release his powers for a while (No idea how long yet), he'll start to expel hideous amounts of flaming plasma energy for about 10 or so minutes.

That one, I was thinking of having be an uncontrolled effect with a trigger of some sort.

Oh yeah. BTW, this would best be done as a Berserk also, triggered by not using your powers for awhile. If it takes him 10 minutes to get a grip (10 minutes is an eternity in HERO) then he probably has a horrible recovery roll for the Berserk.

Now THIS is what I was looking for, thanks!

And I have 102 points for Powers, actually.

I'm thinking of sneaking in Absorption with the Forcefield, if I can. It seems to work with his concept.

And yeah, I'm liking the Berserk thing for his 'release valve' drawback. I'm thinking of making it an uber-powerful blast of heat and fire. Like a 'firestorm' or something similar.

Oh, and another drawback, I should ask about what kind of disad would having to rehydrate himself constantly fall under? If he doesn't drink water within (Unknown limit, but nothing overboard) he'd take... Stun damage? That sounds OK.

[Edit]Nuts, I have 40 Active powers max for attack powers, and 20 for defensive... Okay, time to do some creative editing...[/Edit]