Weapons in the new FH

Toadmaster

Still waiting for my copy but in the meantime...

When Fred came out there was much discussion about how boring the fantasy weapons were. Has FH addressed this at all, there were a number of good ideas presented on the forums so I'm hoping FH has added a lot more flavor to the weapons section.

Come on those of you fortunate enough to have already recieved your copies, put down the book for a minute and share with your less fortunate bretheren. ;)

Guest Dr.Unpossible

this has me wondering as well. I even went and made up my own Weapons charts to try and add some flavor back into the weapons.

Fritz has a good weapons list online as well at his site. Infact theres a bunch of good stuff there for Fantasy HERO in general.

Fritz's Fantasy HERO stuff

The main weapons list is still pretty "vanilla," which I suppose it probably should be. If it was too specific, it wouldn't be good for a general genre book. The list now includes mass, which is very useful, and also includes costs in character points for folks who want to use that info.

However, it also contains about 10 pages worth of material on customizing the generic weapons list for various purposes, and I think this is excellent stuff. It talks about things like differentiating between bashing, slashing, and piercing weapons, weapons of varying quality, weapons made from different materials or at different tech levels, etc.

I have the new Fantasy Hero book so will comment.

The actual weapons list included are your expected fair. You have a bunch of bows, swords, etc. Really, nothing to write home about, just what you would expect in a Fantasy game. The same goes for armor. I am not going to comment on weapon damage or the actual weapon right ups. I will leave that for someone else, but IMO I haven't had a problem with anything of that nature yet.

What the new book does do:

# talks about making up new weapons

# gives a size chart so you can figure out how much damage that fairy with a diminutive sword does

# gives examples on how to make different weapons act differently. Let me explain. Picks for example can, at the GM’s option, be made armor piercing. I really like this rule because all of a sudden there are a lot of good reasons to use weapons other than a sword.

# For armor talks about how different materials effect the weight and DEF.

# Talks about “Fine†and “Poor†weapons and gives many examples of the attributes that make a weapon “fine†or “poor.†Really good part of book and I am using this. For example, in my world the best bow and arrow makers are elves so elven arrows are a +1 OCV and rated as “fine arrows.â€

Basically, it is pretty much what you would expect. The actual weapon list, though extensive, doesn’t cover every possible weapon and it is left to the GM to come up with more of the exotic weapons.