How much for overall penalty skill levels?

OddHat

Sorry, I can't find this in FREd, and I'm not quite sure if it's legal, but...

How much for an "overall" penalty skill level? In other words, a penalty skill level that offset penalties not just to a specific penalty against OCV, but to any roll (including skill rolls)? The any attack penalty level tops out at 3 points per. To me that looks like an 8 point level with all combat and a -2 limitation. Would 5 points per overall penalty skill level be appropriate? A 10 point overall level with a -1 limitation?

I'm working on a luck based magician, similar to another character that showed up on the old boards. The idea would be that since you can accomplish "impossible" tasks for a -10 skill roll, he would buy overall penalty skill levels to represent luck-based magic. Shooting the bad gut in the eye (levels applied against hit location modifier), leaping out of a plane and landing unharmed (levels applied to breakfall), forging a passport in a few seconds (skill levels applied against the time chart as per USPDB), that sort of thing.

All input appreciated.

I would disagree. With the way skill levels are priced in FREd (1,2,3,5,8,10), I'd say an overall penalty skill level would cost 8 pts, with no limitations being applied (your proprosed skill level affects range penalties, targetting penalties, skill roll penalties, and Stat rolls too, it is hardly limited). Most Penalty reductions cost one step less then a normal skill level (sometimes one half), and since this one is a penalty level just shy of the 10 pt overall skill level, it would be 8 pts per, imo. Offering such a skill for 5 pts per would make buying DEX or INT levels for 5 pts not as usefull, and be a bit overpowered for the price, again though, thats just my take.

Thanks Yamo and RadeFox. Rade, you make some good points. OTOH, only being able to use an overall level to offset penalies but not actually to add a bonus seems like more than a -1/4 loss of functionality. I'll post this to the Rules Questions board and see if there's an official rule on this.

Thanks for any more votes pro or con.