How do you handle Hot Sleep?

assault

I want to use a character that is going to be in hot sleep at the beginning of a scenario. Short of waiting until I get Stronghold, how would you folks handle this?

In particular:

* what do you think a hot sleep unit would look like?

* how portable is it?

* what kind of power supply does it require?

* how long would it take to put someone into hot sleep?

* how long would it take to wake someone from hot sleep?

Yes, I'm planning on using Taipan...

Re: How do you handle Hot Sleep?

I want to use a character that is going to be in hot sleep at the beginning of a scenario. Short of waiting until I get Stronghold, how would you folks handle this?

In particular:

* how portable is it?

1. What a hot sleep unit looks like is up to the GM. The GENERAL way that one is depicted is a metal coffin looking thing with a clear window over the head and shoulders, say the top 2 feet.

2. Potability, not very. It was to be big enough for the person and the equipment to keep the person asleep. If you have ever acted as a pallbearer (I did for my grandfather), coffins are heavy and bulky, and hot sleep units would by necessity be larger and heavier since they are meant to keep the person alive AND in a specific state of consciousness.

3. Power supply: Building power with a significant battery backup and a standby generator. Since the building is likely to have a significant number of capsules, the entire building is likely to be on a generator, like a hospital, as backup power.

4. How long to put into Hot Sleep:

5. How long to bring out of Hot Sleep:

Both these have the same answer, however long you decide. It partly depends on the mechanism that you use, and the fail-safes. It could take longer to put the person into hot sleep because of preparation, or it could take less time.

The main thing that differs between hot sleep and cold sleep is the temperature of the body. Hot sleep keeps the body near its normal active temperature (50-70 deg F say), while cold sleep keep the body at sub-zero temperatures. Hot sleep should take less time and preparation than cold sleep to put a person under and bring them out, but it is also not meant for long periods of time.

Gemphyre

In particular:

* how portable is it?

Well, let's see. The original Stronghold adventure didn't include that as a holding cell module, but it was added in the 4th ed. revision in Classic Enemies.

It used to be done as 4d6 STUN and 1d6 REC Drain (5 points/minute return rate). The keyword in the 4th ed. version was "attached." This would seem to mean that it was similar to various pieces of life supporting medical gear, and an intravenous chemical pump.

My impression was that it would look very much like a kidney dialysis machine, and might be hard to differentiate from other pieces of medical hardware.

It could also look like the stereotypical "autodoc," being something about the size of a telephone booth (if folks remember those :whistle:) that the supervillain would be put into.

* how portable is it?

Based on the one in Classic Enemies, it would be fairly easy to move about, a bit to large to simply pick up & carry, but not so big that a single person couldn't push the little cart around.

The bigger versions would require forklifts and trucks.

The smaller style of unit wouldn't really need anything other than a wall outlet, and perhaps a backup of some sort, rather like a UPS for computers.

The bigger ones would probably make more sense hardwired into a place's power grid, and would have much better backup power supplies. I'd think they'd have self-contained units that should allow enough operating time to transport the unit and its contents between facilities. (Like from the super prison to a hospital, for example.)

Hmmm... this will be a variable, but we can take a quick look at the effect on a normal, which should give a base time for you to work with.

The Average Person has 16 STUN and 4 REC, so if we say that the device run on SPD 2, we get (using averages):

• 14 STUN and 1 REC drained (rounding in the inmate's favor) in the first of the device's phases, bringing the normal to 2 STUN and 3 REC.

• Another 14 STUN and 1 REC are drained in the machine's second phase, bringing poor Mr. Average (I do tend to pick on him in my examples) down to -12 STUN and 2 REC.

The end result is that the normal is unconscious in 12 seconds.

This will also vary quite a bit, but let's be nice to Mr. Average, and say that we turned the device off just after it put him under.

• 5 minutes after removing him from Hot Sleep, he'll regain 5 STUN and 2 REC, this would bring him back up to totals of -7 STUN and 4 REC. He would no longer be unconscious, but would still be rather 'out of it.'

• 5 minutes later, he would regain 5 STUN (all of the lost REC points were regained after the first five minute period), bringing him up to -2 STUN and 4 REC. So again, he would be pretty groggy, but at least wouldn't be unconscious.

• Another 5 minutes pass, and Mr. Average would regain another 5 STUN, bringing him to a positive total of 3 STUN and 4 REC. He would now actually be awake, but still not up to par.

It would take a total of about 30 minutes for the normal to completely recover.

And with that, I've hopefully provided some information you'll be able to work with. :winkgrin:

Added 29 Dec: There is a 5th Edition write-up for a Hot Sleep device on page 121 of Champions 5th Edition.