Limited Psychometry (Long)

Nagisawa Takumi

Now, a bit of background.

I love Marvel Comic's Taskmaster, his power set is one of the coolest to my little mind. And I love his most recent miniseries, too.

However, making his power in HERO is a nightmare. Any non-'superhuman' ability he has seen ONCE he can mimic. How do you make that?

But seeing as I can't really figure it out, I've found another power set that I thought was equally cool.

There was an Alita Battle Angel comic in which there was an enemy with the power of Psychometry taken to the nth degree. This fellow could learn the skill and memories of any person who handled an object through touch.

Now, I decided to take THAT power and strip it down a bit for a character.

First, the object has to be something owner 'loved' or had as a 'favourite' for at least one month. Any less time a 'psychic imprint' doesn't get made.

Second, the objects use factors in what skills can be attained. Master swordsmanship is from a sword, master chef from cooking tools. So on and so forth.

Third, no blatant super powers can be attained. 'Super' skills, yes, but they have to be reachable by the unaltered human body.

Fourth, he only gets the skills and the name of the owner, and unless he keeps it on his person for a month, he cannot add or alter that skill set.

So with those four stipulations in mind this is what I came up with.

VPP:  Psychometry

Active cost: 40
Control: 20

Only for, Skills, Super-Skills or Martial Arts based abilities (Limited Class, -1/2), 
Must be in constant contact with appropriate object, (Can only change when he touches an item with an 'imprint, GM's call, -1/2, no guarantee the skills will be useful to him. -0) 
IAF: Specific weapon or item (-1/2, take it away, he loses access to whatever skills they had.), 
No roll required (+1)

Total cost: ?
Total Control cost: ?

Not so sure on how these add and where, also, is there anything else I can add to this? Ads, disads?

(His last bit, is that he can keep the abilities he gains permanently, but only after 1 month's worth of use. THAT 'power' is nothing more than spending XP on the appropriate tricks. :) )

Re: Limited Psychometry (Long)

There was a character in my campaign who was inspired by the same character in Battle Angel Alita. http://www.rcuhero.net/scsheets/alistair.htm

He's still in Fth Edition though, as I haven't heard from Jenn in years.

We tried to keep it simple.

52 Variable Power Pool (30),can change powers as 0 phase,no skill roll

required,Only what can be obtained thru psycometry(-½),Skills and

"super skill" powers only(-½)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Limited Psychometry (Long)

Try putting this in the Hero Rules forms. Lotta builders there. :) I'll post something shortly

Edit: Looking at your building, I think you've got a pretty good write up for you want. The VPP would have a focus limitation clearly. Probably hard to obtain with No Choice of how Pool changes and only changes in certain situations (when he gets a attunement).