Goings on in the nation in my IST campaign

Mark Rand

This is for my IST San Angelo campaign. Much of it is stuff the heroes will be able to hear about on the news or read about in the local papers.

"I'm giving a speech to a joint session of Congress next Tuesday night," the President said to James Collingsworth, Ph.D., a respected educator and the Secretary of Education. "You're the designated survivor. For that night, you and your family will be under Secret Service protection."

"Ann and I were planning to fly to Texas and visit our adopted daughter, Holly, a circus performer, on Tuesday," Dr. Collingsworth said.

"Give her my best," the President said.

"I will," Dr. Collingsworth said.

Special Agent Andrea Price of the Secret Service caught up with Dr. Collingsworth as he left the Oval Office. "Do you have a few minutes, sir?" she asked. "I'm going to be in charge of the detail going with you, and I have a few questions."

"I spoke a pipe, I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis 6-years ago and have spent a total of one week in a wheelchair, and my family's farm, which is on the outskirts of Manchester, New Hampshire, is a 20-minute drive from the state's largest medical center."

He paused, then continued, "Ann is Doctor June Martin's office nurse. She picks up my prescriptions at the George Washington University Hospital pharmacy. Holly's natural parents were my brother and his wife. They married a couple of years after he joined a circus. We adopted her after a drunk driver killed her parents. Since she was 17 at that time, we felt she should stay at the circus and let some in-laws act as her guardians."

"Is she married?" Andrea asked.

"Yeah, to James Nelson, the ringmaster," Dr. Collingsworth replied. "Her relatives there are the Vasquez, Nelson, Reese, West, and Campbell families. On the flight over, I'll loan you last years program and route book."

To be continued.

Re: Goings on in the nation in my IST campaign

A couple of days later, the President's Cabinet is meeting. As it breaks up, an aide rolls in a television. "Something important is going on in Los Angeles, Mr. President. Everyone should see it."

"Fine," the President said. On the screen was Thomas Huntley, the SAC of the FBI's Los Angeles office. Huntley was talking about his campaign against a tactical helicopter that was in the hands of either a civilian group or an intelligence agency. Either way, according to him, was illegal.

He then introduced his two lead agents, Parthenope Addison, and Daphne Wyeth. Suddenly, Addison screamed. As Huntley turned to look at her, she morphed into a cougar. "Wyeth, control your partner," he snapped.

"How?" Daphne asked.

"Rrrowwl," the-cougar-that-was-Addison snarled, then leapt at Huntley. He went backwards, over the edge of the platform. As he went for his weapon, she turned, relieved herself on him, and fled.

"Find her before the capes do, Wyeth," Huntley said. "If you don't, you can kiss your career in the Bureau good-buy."

"I'll do my best," Wyeth said as Huntley was taken to the hospital.

The Secretary of Defense turned from the television and said, "I think he's wrong about an intelligence agency not being allowed to control a tactical helicopter. After all, there are times they can use it better than the military can."

To be continued.

Guest Major Tom

Poor SAC Huntley... first, there's the Sensor-Man fiasco, and now some were-

cougar goes and pulls a Gunny Highway on him.

The man just can't catch a break, can he?

Major Tom :snicker:

"It seemed like the thing to do at the time."

The morning before the speech, Secret Service Agent Courtney Robinson visited the office of Dr. June Martin, a respected ophthalmologist. "How can we help you?" June asked.

"If something happens during tomorrow night's Presidential speech, Secretary Collingsworth will become President," Courtney replied. "If so, and if Ann decides to continue working here, you'll have a few Secret Service agents in here."

"Since my staff all wear navy scrubs with the practice logo embroidered, in white, over the left breast, we'll be able to provide your agents with them," June said. "It wouldn't hurt to have one out here with Amy and Joy while another stays with Ann. If anyone asks, I'll tell them that I hired more medical assistants."

"Good plan," Courtney said. "Can I have a tour?"

While June and Ann showed Courtney around, Agent Gina Tuscano flew to Texas. A deputy sheriff picked her up there and drove her to the lot the circus would occupy the next day. Currently, it was occupied by the circus-owned motorhome used by Mary "Cowgirl" West, the show's 24-hour advance agent.

After Gina stowed her bags in the motorhome, Mary gave her a tour of the lot and a lesson in circus logistics. Then, they settled down and watched TV. SAC Huntley, with both arms and a leg in casts, was on again, this time, from the Valley of the Gods. Both expected him to, once again, make a fool of himself.

Huntley, a team of FBI agents, some NID agents, Senator Robert Kinsey, of Maryland, and Sensor Man, a DMI-sanctioned hero, all confronted a trio of people that had come out of a hidden cave. "You're all under arrest for violating a number of laws regarding the intelligence community and for possessing an illegal tactical weapon," Huntley said. "We're turning your copter over to the NID."

"You're an idiot, Huntley," the tall man that lead the group said. "Also, you're consorting with known terrorists. Under the law, the NID is permitted only to provide civilian oversight of top secret military projects. Instead, they're committing crimes all over the place."

"Don't make me laugh," Huntley said just as a screeching noise came from the north. "What's that?"

"Judgment day," the tall man replied with a smile.

"This is the NID! Land your helicopter, now, or we'll shoot," came an amplified voice from a heavily armed combat copter. Moments later, the NID copter was blown into the side of one of the formations, where it shattered. As the other copter, which looked like a killer whale, approached, and flew lower, debris was blown toward Huntley and his associates and the three prisoners bolted for a cave, with four FBI agents in close pursuit.

More to come.

Note: Sensor Man was suggested by Major Tom. Thanks.

As the killer whale-looking helicopter came closer, the cameraman tracked it from shelter. He was lucky, as debris, people, and vehicles were blown in all directions.

"Oh, my," Gina said as she and Mary West watched. "Look, there goes Kinsey, butt first, into those rocks."

"Yeah," Mary, who was trying not to laugh," said. "Huntley was thrown into that big cactus."

Jets fired on its fuselage as the killer whale copter climbed. Sensor Man and the second NID copter followed. Suddenly, for a quarter second, it was daylight over the Valley of the Gods. Sensor Man fell, and landed on the FBI van while the NID copter shattered when it hit the ground. A sonic boom was heard as Sensor Man brushed himself off.

"Now what?" Kinsey bellowed.

"The copter just broke the sound barrier," Huntley bellowed back as a blue mist filled the area.

To be continued.

Guest Major Tom

Oh, man... SAC Huntley either has 3 or 4d6 Unluck, or an entirely new Disad:

Humiliation Magnet, 14-.

Major Tom :D

Guest Major Tom

A couple of days later, the President's Cabinet is meeting. As it breaks up, an aide rolls in a television. "Something important is going on in Los Angeles, Mr. President. Everyone should see it."

"Fine," the President said. On the screen was Thomas Huntley, the SAC of the FBI's Los Angeles office. Huntley was talking about his campaign against a tactical helicopter that was in the hands of either a civilian group or an intelligence agency. Either way, according to him, was illegal.

He then introduced his two lead agents, Parthenope Addison, and Daphne Wyeth. Suddenly, Addison screamed. As Huntley turned to look at her, she morphed into a cougar. "Wyeth, control your partner," he snapped.

"How?" Daphne asked.

"Rrrowwl," the-cougar-that-was-Addison snarled, then leapt at Huntley. He went backwards, over the edge of the platform. As he went for his weapon, she turned, relieved herself on him, and fled.

"Find her before the capes do, Wyeth," Huntley said. "If you don't, you can kiss your career in the Bureau good-buy."

"I'll do my best," Wyeth said as Huntley was taken to the hospital.

The Secretary of Defense turned from the television and said, "I think he's wrong about an intelligence agency not being allowed to control a tactical helicopter. After all, there are times they can use it better than the military can."

To be continued.

Hmmm... maybe I'm reading more than there is to the SecDef's comment, but

it sounds like he knows more about the mystery chopper than he's letting on.

Major Tom :sneaky:

Hmmm... maybe I'm reading more than there is to the SecDef's comment, but

it sounds like he knows more about the mystery chopper than he's letting on.

Possibly. Of course, he simply could think that it's legal for an intelligence agency to have control of such a chopper.

"SAC Huntley doesn't seem to be a nice guy," Mary said as her brown cat, Muffin, joined them on the sofa.

"He has a reputation as a behind-the-scenes glory-grabber," Gina said. "I guess he figures that by capturing this copter and her crew he'll get a big promotion and work in Washington.

"What about Kinsey?"

"Arrogant and well-connected," Gina replied. "He wants to be President."

"What about the NID?"

"They were set up as civilian oversight of top secret military projects," Gina replied. "Some have been arrested, or even killed, doing things in this and other countries. There have been complaints to the agency, but they claim that the agents have gone rogue."

"Why won't Congress close them down?"

"They have too much power and have allied themselves with a number of people in Congress, including, if reports can be believed, Kinsey."

Suddenly, there was movement on the screen as paramedics and fire fighters arrived at the Valley of the Gods. Everyone was alive, but not in good shape. Huntley insisted upon being taken inside the cave the three pilots ran into. Except for his four agents, who were on the floor, a sheet of paper on the back of one, and a metal cabinet, the chamber was empty.

The agents, who were unconscious, were loaded onto stretchers and removed, then the cabinet was opened, triggering fireworks, one of which almost scalped Kinsey. When they ended, there was another sheet of paper inside. Like the first, the writing on it was strange.

"That was better than most of the network comedies," Mary observed.

"Sure was," Gina said. She went to bed on the sofa while Mary and her cat shared the cabover bunk.

To be continued.

They awoke at 5 a.m., had breakfast, and waited for the trucks to arrive. The first rolled in at 6:10. Jim Nelson rolled in at 6:50. Gina joined him. By the time her luggage was secure, Holly had rolled in and was in the driver's seat of the payloader (a type of front end loader).

As the day progressed, Gina wandered the lot, looking, but not getting in the way. She had lunch in the cookhouse, watched the medical team administer first aid to a couple of show kids, admired the animals, and enjoyed the matinée. Then, at 7:45, local time, with everything ready, James and Ann Collingsworth arrived.

Holly greeted her parents and made sure they had what they needed. At 8 p.m., Jim Nelson welcomed everyone to the circus and asked them to rise for the national anthem. At 8:04, the band played the overture. After that, Holly and Becky were on. While they were on their single trapezes (Holly was over ring one while Becky was over ring three), the President started his speech. He had just said, "My fellow Americans," when a Boeing 747 slammed into the Capitol Building and detonated, destroying it and the House and Senate office buildings.

To be continued.

Parts of this reads like they were pulled out of Vathara's Urban Legends series... and I enjoyed those stories too.

:sneaky:

It'll be interesting to find out if there are two of those tactical helicopters flying around the Californian coast.:eg:

I enjoyed that series, too, which is why I pulled stuff from it.

Are their two helicopters? That remains to be seen.

With Holly holding the bible, Jim Collingsworth was quickly sworn in as President by the federal judge that had been waiting nearby. He then said, "My fellow Americans, God willing, we will bounce back from the tragic death of everyone in the Capitol Building. Thank you. God bless you and God bless America." He then joined his wife, Ann, and Lieutenant Commander Gail Peters, U.S.N., who had the nuclear football.

"The police have blocked off the road in front of the circus," Commander Peters said. "Your copter will land there in three minutes, and Air Force One is warming up. Anything else?"

"I need to talk to Gina and Andrea," he said.

"Here they are," Ann said.

"Andrea, you're in charge of my detail."

"Understood, Mr. President. Gina, keep Holly safe. I'll see if I can get you more agents. It might be a good idea to have one working with the show's advance agent."

"I'll do my best," Gina said.

"I know," Andrea said.

"Gina, this is going to be an experience for you," the President said.

"I know," she said. "I'll take Holly's advice when I can and learn what I can about her way of life."

"Good," President Collingsworth said. "We'll stop by the Signal Corps trailer on our way out."

"Understood," Andrea responded.

"Mr. President," said the officer in charge as he came to attention and saluted.

Collingsworth returned the salute, and asked, "Status?"

"Stock trading has been suspended, Washington, D.C. has been sealed up, and the military commanders await your orders, sir."

"They're to take us to Defcon 4," Collingsworth responded. "I want to meet with the commanders as soon as I return to Washington. We'll need a new Joint Chiefs of Staff. I want the governors to send emergency delegates to Washington. The Assistant Attorney General is now the Acting Attorney General. Does he want the National Guard called out?"

"Yes, Mr. President."

"Approved. Anything else?"

"Your copter's here sir."

"Very well," Collingsworth said. "Carry on."

"Yes, sir."

I forgot to mention that Holly had a few minutes alone with her parents between when he was sworn in and he made his short speech.

Also, with a change in the federal government's superhero sanctioning organization, this will work in the "Still Bat-ty" thread.

On Air Force One, while Ann huddled with Agents Courtney Robinson and Kelsey Innes, John met with Andrea Price and Gail Peters. "What do we know about SAC Huntley?" he asked.

"He's an arrogant behind-the-scenes glory-grabber," Andrea said. "He also has it in for Santini Air, because he thought he had a solid case against them until another federal agency took it over and proved him wrong."

"We'll let him stay on it for a bit and be humbled a bit more," John said. "What about that agent that turned into a cougar and her partner?"

"According to my sources, they're leaving the Bureau and joining a superhero team," Andrea replied.

"Kinsey and the NID?"

"Kinsey's an arrogant and well-connected right-winger who wants to be President," Andrea replied. "As I understand it, the NID was created to monitor top-secret military projects. Some of their agents have gone rogue, and they either can't or won't stop them."

"I know a lot of people that laugh when the NID screws up," Gail added.

Guest Major Tom

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if (somewhere in the background of this

campaign) there wasn't a betting pool in the U.S. political community about

who would be responsible for the screw-up of the week -- SAC Huntley or

Senator Kinsey. Both seem to have been amply -- and dubiously -- blessed

by the FUBAR Fairy.

Major Tom :eg:

"I see," James said as Ann joined them. "What's up?"

"Just talked to June Martin," she replied. "Her husband was one of the senators sent to an undisclosed location." She paused, then added, "Office hours for patients start at 1 p.m. tomorrow. However, staff, including my detail, is to report at 11 a.m. We have stuff to go over. Courtney and Kelsey already know about it."

"Okay," Andrea said. "How far is your office from the White House?"

"Less than one mile, I think," Ann replied.

"Fine. I'll come up with something everyone can live with."

"How do we deal with the NID?" the President asked.

"I think I know," Gail replied. "You'll love this."

"You have my attention," President Collingsworth said.

"Yesterday, after picking up the Football, I met Major Paul Davis, U.S.A.F., at the Pentagon. He gave me a thick sealed envelope that I was to give you if you became President. He claimed that making the contents public would spell trouble for the NID and Senator Kinsey."

"Sounds interesting," Collingsworth said. "I'd like to see it."

Gail opened the Football, reached inside, and handed him the envelope. He opened it, emptied the contents, a bound report, into his lap, and read, "The Stargate Project," off the report's cover. "What's this about?"

"I haven't been told," Gail replied.

Collingsworth read it. When he finished, he said, "Contact Major Samantha Carter at Cheyenne Mountain. If she can make the arrangements I want, the NID and Kinsey are doomed."

Guest Major Tom

Oooo... If the Pres is getting ready to do what I think he is, he'd better be

wearing his chainmail boxers when he does. Otherwise, it just might turn

around and... well, you get the idea.

"Yes, Mr. President," Gail said. "What do you want her to do?"

"Cause computer problems for the NID when the United States Marshals hit it," he replied. "It would also be nice if she could find proof of criminal activities on their computer system."

"I'll get on it right away," Gail said before heading for the radio area.

"Andrea, we need to find out who's responsible for killing everyone in the Capitol Building," Collingsworth said. "I want the Secret Service working with the FBI and other needed federal agencies on it."

"Will do," Andrea said.

"Any word from Gina?"

"I called her while you were reading the file," Andrea replied. "The show ended early, and they'll be there for two more days. However, there will be no performances those two days."

"I see," the President said as Gail returned. "Report."

"She's on the line."

"Good." The President walked to the radio, explained what he wanted, then asked, "Can you do it?"

"Piece of cake," came the reply. "When do you want me to give the NID computer system fits?"

"Not for at least thirty minutes. How much notice do you need?"

"Thirty seconds," Samantha replied.

"Understood," the President said. "I'll get back to you."

After Air Force One signed off, Gail commented, "She's probably been in the NID computers before."

"Agreed," the President said.

Thirty minutes later, the NID was raided by federal marshals. One hour after that, Paul Davis received several downloads from Samantha Carter. The Acting Attorney-General and a federal judge got the warrants together and a number of people, including Kinsey, found themselves in jail on charges of treason.

"How did it go?" the President asked Major Davis when the met at Andrews Air Force Base.

"It went well," Davis replied. "They caught a lot of NID agents out on missions. They also rounded up the members of the Trust, the group that's been funding the NID's rogue activities."

"That's good news," Collingsworth said. "Thank you, Major."

"You're welcom, Mr. President."