Gamasutra interview with Jack

Pattern Ghost

Re: Gamasutra interview with Jack

I'm certainly not the "typical MMOG gamer" but I always considered game mechanics fixes as welcomed, in City of Heroes.

Ah, I should call them "nerfs" :)

There is something that seem constant in MMOGs, it's the fact once players devised a nice combo of powers/spells/attacks, a solid "build", they consider it acquired until the end of times. And any "forced" change to it is felt like a betrayal... as if developpers just aimed at making them miserable...

The Enhancement Diversification from City of Heroes is possibly the feature I liked the most. As it name implies, it forced players to do something else than optimizing to be the ultimate fighting machine, dealing colossal amounts of damage in little time or being borderline immortal and invulnerable.

Even if Jack Emmert here is sounding a bit as if City of Heroes failed on many aspects (but then, it's an interview and bits of quotes), I still consider that game being the most interesting, mechanically.

Certainly, there can be more adjustments to power uses etc...

But it works and it works well.

The choices at developping your powers, the uses of inspirations, character archetypes synergy, a fast paced action (no I don't mind recharge time, they are good for balance), the fabulous idea of the sidekick/exemplar system (please please, make it still in Champions Online !)... everything work for make a good MMOG.

It's only my opinion, for sure, but City of Heroes is the only MMOG where I find combats interesting.

(yes, some archetypes combinations are more "active" than others but generally, everyone has something to do).

Now, and maybe sadly, it's true a new MMOG is going to be compared to others, namely World of Warcraft currently, and players will expect to find familiar features.

But, to me, what makes me still playing City of Heroes is the fact it has innovative ideas and, actually, broke with some "expected features" (no character development based on loot, yay).

My preference goes to games that try to be something else than a new MMOG based on everything classic from the fantasy genre, just in another costume, so to speak.

There are some gems there and there. City of Heroes is one. The diplomatic system from Vanguard is another, even if it could win at being visually improved (and its crafting system to a lesser extent).

Re: Gamasutra interview with Jack

I agree that the game was mechanically sound. It was great on that level, had great ideas like the sidekick/exemplar system, but the game lacked content. It was cool to have this great character that was so smooth to run, but the game lacked anything interesting to do with the character.