Character: Dr. Steele

Arthur

Interested in comments on this one. It's a bit of a departure for me, but it really seemed to work in a "wish-fulfillment" sense. I mean, if I lived in a world with supers, this is the character I personally would want to BE.

Background: A brilliant cyberneticist trapped in a body with a degenerative condition (Holy Stephen Hawking!). Designed an android body and transferred his mind into it.

Dr. Steele does not have the Data "I want to be human (again)" syndrome in the slightest. He loves being an android, thinks synthetic is vastly superior to biological, and would never ever go back to being "mere flesh and blood".

Doctor Steele

Val Char Cost
35 STR 25
23 DEX 39
23 CON 26
15 BODY 10
18 INT 8
8 EGO -4
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
25 PD 18
25 ED 20
5 SPD 17
12 REC 0
46 END 0
45 STUN 0
11" RUN102" SWIM07" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 174

Cost Power END
50 Total Life Support: Custom Power (50 Active Points) 5
15 Dermal armor: Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED)
5 Microscopic x10 (Sight Group)
5 Infrared Perception
3 Lack Of Weakness (-3) for Normal Defense
3 Lack Of Weakness (-3) for Resistant Defenses
3 +3 Mental Defense (5 points total)
5 Power Defense (5 points)
15 Metal Hands: Multipower, 15-point reserve
1u 1) Metal Fist: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 1
1u 2) Knife Hand: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (15 Active Points) 1
25 Omnilaser: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2)
2u 1) Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 +1 (vs. ED) (50 Active Points) 10
2u 2) Pulse Laser: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED) (50 Active Points) 10
2u 3) Phased Laser: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (45 Active Points) 8
2u 4) Pinpoint Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (45 Active Points) 8
Powers Cost: 139

Cost Skill
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Electronics 13-
4 Gambling (Card Games, Chess, Craps) 13-
3 Inventor 13-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 SS: Cybernetics (INT-based) 13-
3 Systems Operation 13-
Skills Cost: 22

Cost Perk
3 Computer Link
Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightning Calculator
4 Speed Reading (x10)
Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
5 Quirks
10 Distinctive Features: Synthetic skin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Hunted: Tech Org 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Tech villain 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Tech agency 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Psychological Limitation: Pacifist (self-defense/defend others) (Very Common; Moderate)
20 Psychological Limitation: Curiousity (Very Common; Strong)
15 Social Limitation: Android (Frequently; Major)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Electricity (Common)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY (Common)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Cool. Nice non-cheesy aproach. :)

Three minor suggestions;

1) He's a little light on the science skills considering what he managed to build. You could either come up with an in-game explanation for that, or drop something else in favor of the Scientist Skill Modifier and a wider range of skills. OTOH, that's a matter of campaign style more than anything else.

2) A few too many hunteds IMO. It'll be a little unweildy if the GM tries to make use of all of them. Again, that's a matter of campaign style rather than mechanics.

3) One half or zero-end Omni-laser slot would make a huge difference to his ability to get through longer combats without having to stop for rest.

Originally posted by OddHat

Cool. Nice non-cheesy aproach.

Thanks. I have a fairly strong Munchkin streak, but it's always been secondary to Character Conception. However, keeping the Optimization Monster in check is hard.

1) He's a little light on the science skills considering what he managed to build. You

That's the kind of suggestion I was hoping for. What else would it take? I figured Electronics was a must. Cybernetics, to me, includes everything necessary to build androids. Maybe I needed a more comprehensive name for it. I do see him as being quite specialized.

2) A few too many hunteds IMO. It'll be a little unweildy if the GM tries to make use of all of them. Again, that's a matter of campaign style rather than mechanics.

It's hard to rack up enough points otherwise. Lemme see what I can do to come up with another Psych to replace one of them. I figure a lot of folks want to get their hands on his technology. He has basically figured out a way to be immortal!

3) One half or zero-end Omni-laser slot would make a huge difference to his ability to get through longer combats without having to stop for rest.

That was a spot where conception trumped munchkinism. I realize it's not combat-effective as is. However, he has a small fusion powerplant and a bank of batteries/capacitors built in. The fusion plant represents his REC. The batteries represent END. (STUN recovery is "rebooting"). Firing that laser drains the batteries/capacitors FAST. The powerplant can recharge them, but not quickly.

Seems like a small Absorption to be able to use outside electricity to recharge would be a good idea.

2d Absorption (Energy to END). +1/4: Fades at 1 per minute; -1/2: Electricity/Heat only, and heat works at half effectiveness [thermocouples]; -1/2 Only to starting value.

6 points.

Originally posted by Arthur

That's the kind of suggestion I was hoping for. What else would it take? I figured Electronics was a must. Cybernetics, to me, includes everything necessary to build androids. Maybe I needed a more comprehensive name for it. I do see him as being quite specialized.[/b]

Specialization is good, and it's up to you how "realistic" you want this, and how much of the character was off-the-shelf tech. That said, I'd suggest:

1) Drop Paramedics and Gambling to free up 7 points.

2) Add Skill Mod: Scientist for 3 points, reduces cost of your SS:Cybernetics by 1 point, leaves you five points to play with.

3)Add the following sciences (we can assume that he was able to make use of his inventive streak, these profesional level skills, and some luck to make use of other's research from here):

1) Cybernetics, 13- (Already added).

2) Robotics, 11- (To build the frame).

3) Medicine, 11- (Transfer Process).

4) Physics, 11- (Laser and power set-up)

5) Neurobiology 11- (Transfer Process, esp. mind and memories)

6)Physical Chemistry 11- (much of the frame, power plant, shielding, etc.).

Originally posted by Arthur

That was a spot where conception trumped munchkinism. I realize it's not combat-effective as is. However, he has a small fusion powerplant and a bank of batteries/capacitors built in. The fusion plant represents his REC. The batteries represent END. (STUN recovery is "rebooting"). Firing that laser drains the batteries/capacitors FAST. The powerplant can recharge them, but not quickly.

Seems like a small Absorption to be able to use outside electricity to recharge would be a good idea.

2d Absorption (Energy to END). +1/4: Fades at 1 per minute; -1/2: Electricity/Heat only, and heat works at half effectiveness [thermocouples]; -1/2 Only to starting value.

6 points. [/b]

Cool, looks workable. You could also try +5 REC, 1/2 DCV Concentration throughout (-1), requires three pronged wall outlet (-1/4). :)

I'd really be inclined to put the metal hands abilities in the same MP as the ray guns, and call it "robotic weaponry." As is its a bit of a waste of points.

You may also want to consider adding in one slot of missiles or something with charges, so you have an alternate attack if you're running low on END.

Originally posted by OddHat

1) Drop Paramedics and Gambling to free up 7 points.

Paramedics seemed like a good choice. I figured he'd had to learn at least basic medical skills with his previous condition as a human. Gambling is there because 1. I like to have at least a few points spent "frivolously"; 2. I personally am a huge fan of poker, chess, and blackjack. I identify very closely with this character.

3)Add the following sciences (we can assume that he was able to make use of his inventive

1) Cybernetics, 13- (Already added).

2) Robotics, 11- (To build the frame).

3) Medicine, 11- (Transfer Process).

4) Physics, 11- (Laser and power set-up)

5) Neurobiology 11- (Transfer Process, esp. mind and memories)

6)Physical Chemistry 11- (much of the frame, power plant, shielding, etc.).

Good idea on some of them. However, he could have gotten an MD to assist with some of the medical/bio aspects.

Cool, looks workable. You could also try +5 REC, 1/2 DCV Concentration throughout (-1), requires three pronged wall outlet (-1/4). :)

:) Good idea, actually. "Only when plugged into power source" is a LOT more than -1/4! Default REC is on ALL the time. This is a -1 1/2 Lim. I would almost call it a -2. He has to be at a power outlet and effectively can't move during the process. I also added "only to END (-1)". Means it takes at least a Turn to start, but that's OK. That's very much in concept.

Lasers do no knockback - maybe

I think it would be fair to define the entire laser multipower as No Knockback. Unless you want the laser to have knockback, it will better represent the way a laser "really" works and will save you some points, too.

Does this character have a Human mind or a Machine mind for purposes of mental powers?

John H

Re: Lasers do no knockback - maybe

Originally posted by JMHammer

I think it would be fair to define the entire laser multipower as No Knockback. Unless you want the laser to have knockback, it will better represent the way a laser "really" works and will save you some points, too.

Forgot about that. How about one for "Reduced by Range in rain or fog"? Or even "half power in rain or fog". I think that's been a -1/4, IIRC.

However, I'd then have a hard time fitting his android melee weaponry into the same MP. I'd probably have to go back to two separate MPs, although he could use only one or the other in a given Phase. Each one has a different set of Lims.

Does this character have a Human mind or a Machine mind for purposes of mental powers?

Good question. Let me ponder on the concept for a moment...

Sort of a hybrid of both. That's where I came up with Mental Defense. He has a human mind melded with a computer brain. It's unlike almost any other mind, so a Mentalist would have a hard time coping.

The dominant portion is definitely Human. The computer portion is a tool - the Human mind is in charge. Dr. Steele prefers his android body, but wants to remain Human in his mind. A disembodied intellect in a superior android body with none (or greatly reduced) human weaknesses, drives, and needs!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Second draft:

Doctor Steele

Player: ArthurS

Val Char Cost
35 STR 25
23 DEX 39
23 CON 26
13 BODY 6
18 INT 8
8 EGO -4
15/20 PRE 5
8 COM -1
25 PD 18
25 ED 20
5 SPD 17
12 REC 0
46 END 0
43 STUN 0
11" RUN102" SWIM07" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 169

Cost Power END
50 Life Support , Eating: Character does not eat, Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Longevity: Immortal, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Sleeping: Character does not sleep
17 Repair Nanomachines: Healing 1 BODY (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Reset Time: 1 Hour (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), BODY only (-3/4), Self Only (-1/2), Requires appropriate materials to heal major damage (Impairing/Disabling) (-1/2)
5 IR vision system: Infrared Perception
11 Dermal armor: Damage Resistance (11 PD/11 ED)
3 Artificial body: Lack Of Weakness (-3) for Normal Defense
3 Artificial Body: Lack Of Weakness (-3) for Resistant Defenses
3 Computer mind: +3 Mental Defense (5 points total)
5 Artificial Body: Power Defense (5 points)
2 Recharging: +5 REC (10 Active Points); Only when plugged into power source Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (-1 1/2), Only to END Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Concentration 1/2 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (-1/2)
2 +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Only to resist PRE attacks (-1)
25 Omnilaser: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Effect: Half power in rain/snow/fog (-1/4)
2u 1) Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 +1 (vs. ED) (50 Active Points) 10
2u 2) Pulse Laser: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED) (50 Active Points) 10
2u 3) Phased Laser: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (45 Active Points) 8
2u 4) Pinpoint Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (45 Active Points) 8
Powers Cost: 134

Cost Skill
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Gambling (Card Games, Chess) 13-
3 Inventor 13-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Systems Operation 13-
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Cybernetics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2) SS: Robotics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) SS: Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 4) SS: Neurobiology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
Skills Cost: 29

Cost Perk
3 Computer Link
Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightning Calculator
4 Speed Reading (x10)
3 Absolute Time Sense
Talents Cost: 15

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
5 Quirks
10 Distinctive Features: Synthetic skin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Hunted: Tech Org 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Tech agency 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Psychological Limitation: Pacifist (self-defense/defend others) (Very Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Limited emotional responses (Very Common; Moderate)
20 Psychological Limitation: Curiousity (Very Common; Strong)
15 Social Limitation: Android (Frequently; Major)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Electricity (Common)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY (Common)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Background/History: Doctor Walter Steele specialized in robotics and cybernetics. When a degenerative disease confined him to a wheelchair, he designed an android body and transferred his mind into it. His body contains nanomachines and will "heal" itself (major structural damage requires raw materials for the nanomachines to work with). Yes, he does have "emotions", but in a limited fashion. His mind is a hybrid: neither fully Human nor fully machine (it's about 75/25 skewed toward Human, though).

Personality: Curious about everything. Loves learning new things. Loves being an android, does NOT want to go back to being human. Ever. Always tinkering with improvements (i.e. - spending XP).

Quote: "Hmmm. I wonder how THIS works?"

Powers/Tactics: Tries to avoid combat. If pressed, will fire OmniLaser (from eyes). If that fails, will throw unskilled punches (however, his android strength and the speed of his computer brain makes that quite effective). He plans to eventually add melee weapons (retractable blades and reinforced fists - an HKA and HA multipower).

Campaign Use: A technician who can handle himself in a scrap. Can casually walk into a nuclear powerplant full of nerve gas and fix things.

Appearance: Designed his android body to look as average as possible, but is still obviously synthetic. Did not bother to simulate hair. Often wears a fedora-like hat.

If you are going to use "Custom Power" for Total LS rather than using LS and checking all the boxes, then you should unselect "Costs Endurance" in Hero Designer.

Was a little surprised the character does not have Damage Resistance. Does he not have a metal body?

I agree with OddHat on the extra REC for the plug in vice Absorption (Absorption Fades in 5th). Only while plugged in is given as a -2 lim for the REC of an END Reserve; I would say that in this case Only While Plugged In (Post Segment 12 only)is a -2 and Only to END is a -1, the 1/2 DCV Concentration Throughout for another -1/2.

As a side note Steve has indicated that a PC is always considered to have a normal mind in addition to any other type of mind they may have; otherwise they are getting immunity to most mentalists as a disadvantage, which obviously does not make sense. You could however take a PhysLim "Machine Mind" as a Disadvantage, and be affected by mental powers vs either type of mind. It may not be appropriate however -- Mechanon doesnt take it for example, and hes also a "Robot" built like a normal character, complete with STUN.

All around solid character. All we need now is an illo :D

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

If you are going to use "Custom Power" for Total LS rather than using LS and checking all the boxes, then you should unselect "Costs Endurance" in Hero Designer.

Discovered that little error just after the first post. I went ahead and did it "right". Easier to see all the effects that way.

Was a little surprised the character does not have Damage Resistance. Does he not have a metal body?

Has had "Dermal Armor" since v1.0.

All around solid character. All we need now is an illo :D

Thanks.

Artwork ain't my line. My attempts at drawing characters are about a 3 (where 1 is a stick-figure and 10 is John Byrne). I usually don't have a real strong visual conception of characters anyway. When I do, it's usually based on some actor. The first thing that pops into my head is Yul Brynner in "Westworld".