Hell's Dawn

RavensPath

I had been running a Mage game for my group but have recently convinced them to start a whole new campaign using HERO rules. The campaign is loosely based on the Hellgate:London game. (and i mean loosely as I haven't played it, just read the wikipedia entry).

Demons attacked various cities around the world at the same time. Some are completely under demon control now, others are still fighting, while others have kicked the demons out. Working on building what has happened to the USA during this time. Where the seat of government has moved to, what supplies are in short demand and such.

This is a dark superhero game (I would say dark Champions but that isn't quite right). Magic, super high tech, superpowers, all started to appear after the invasion. There was no such things before.

Using 350 points to start with and putting some limits on rPD but not much else. Lots of HKA and RKA since they are fighting demons (mostly) and this is in no way a 4-color game. Lots of gray, and lots of damage dealing.

So far have 1 character almost done, and the one other player who knows the system almost has his done. Will get the ideas from the other two players and hopefully get their characters into HD sometime soon.

I am really really excited about running a HERO game again. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

It is good to be hom.

Re: Hell's Dawn

Sounds cool; When I was toying with something similar a while back i happened across this site that might be of some use.

http://www.entrances2hell.co.uk/index.html

Thanks Jtelson. Sorry took me so long to respond. I missed that you had replied. I will definetly take a deeper look at that site and probably use some things from it.

Hell's Dawn update:

I haven't had as much time as I would have liked over the last 2 weeks to work on Hell's Dawn, but I have gotten some things done.

Demon controlled cities (where there is little to no direct combat between demon troops and human troops, resistance/underground fighting may still be occuring):

New York

Washington DC

LA

Las Vega

Seattle/Vancouver

Miami

St. Louis

Detroit/Windsor

Demons/Humans still actively vying for control:

Chicago

Milwaukee

Dallas/Fort Worth

Denver

Boston

Phoenix

Indianapolis

Human controlled (where either the demons did not attack or were defeated)

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Atlanta

Salt Lake City

Santa Fe

San Francisco

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just what I have decided on.

Most network TV and radio is gone since New York and LA are under Demon control. Some network stuff does come out of Atlanta. Both TV and radio are now broadcast at the local level with some reports being nationwide news.

There is one radio 'network', DFW, that broadcasts on a satellite station that often seem to have news of the resistance and battles between human and demon forces. They also have updates on the battles that are being waged around the world.

The seat of US government has moved to the Twin Cities. The President was killed in the initial assault on DC. The new President has declared a state of Emergency and nationalized much of the nation's resources to help combat the demons. While food in the rurals areas is pretty plentiful it can be scarce sometimes in the larger cities due to gas rationing, black markets and demon attacks on convoys.

St. Louis has become known as the Burning City. While the initial rifts were large in each city most have been shut down to smaller, more stable gates between the realms. Except for St. Louis. The Arch has become a permanent gate from their world into this one. The legs of the arch and the area between them are constantly filled with brilliant red and black flames that seem to give off no heat. But if they are touched by anyone but a demon the person is instantly turned into a cinders. The light from the Arch fills most of St. Louis city itself with constantly flickering shadows and light, thus giving the appearance that the city is burning.

Since this 'genre' is semi horror I would like some input from the boards. I want to really emphasize at times how weird some of the demons & their controlled cities are. To me this means a hesitation or pause, at times, as the characters take in the otherworldliness of what they are facing. At other times I hope to have it disgust the characters. This isn't horror in the sense of being scary or tense, but rather horror as a twisted/bizarre reflection of something that does not quite fit into this reality.

Something along the lines of a Cthulu sanity roll, but not quite.

Any ideas on how I could handle this?

Thanks

Hell's Dawn update:

I haven't had as much time as I would have liked over the last 2 weeks to work on Hell's Dawn, but I have gotten some things done.

Demon controlled cities (where there is little to no direct combat between demon troops and human troops, resistance/underground fighting may still be occuring):

New York

Washington DC

LA

Las Vega

Seattle/Vancouver

Miami

St. Louis

Detroit/Windsor

Demons/Humans still actively vying for control:

Chicago

Milwaukee

Dallas/Fort Worth

Denver

Boston

Phoenix

Indianapolis

Human controlled (where either the demons did not attack or were defeated)

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Atlanta

Salt Lake City

Santa Fe

San Francisco

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just what I have decided on.

What about cities outside the United States?

I have put some thought into the other cities around the world and their status, but not lots yet.

London is human controlled. Paris is demon controlled. Berlin is still under siege. Madrid is also under siege. Moscow human controlled. St. Petersburg under siege. Tokyo is human controlled with only a few pockets of demon resistance remaining.

Beyond that not much done.