VPPs and Aid: Characteristics (please help me find the rule)

Greeter

Greetings All,

I am having trouble find a rule dealing with using a VPP to aid a characteristic (and what happens when you switch slots).

Our hero has a Cosmic 40pt VPP. He uses all 40 points to buy a 2d6 Pre Aid ( he is encountering Takofanes and doesn't want to start the combat by running for his life despite that being the best course of action :) ) with a delayed fade of 5pts per hour (+1). He keeps rolling to get the maximum effect of +12 points to Pre and immediately goes into combat.

He decides he needs more defense during combat and switches to a Force Field (20PD/20ED). Now the question is, what just happened to the increased presence? Does it fade at the normal rate? Or does it fade immediately and completely?

When a character buys an Adjustment Power through a Multipower or Variable Power Pool, if he switches the Framework to another Power the boosted (or reduced) Characteristic or Power fades at the standard rate (or whatever rate the character has paid for with the Delayed Return Rate Advantage).

The above indicates the extra Presence fades as normal, but I have seen a few threads where it appears to be understood that the extra Pre fades immediately since the slot was changed.

Re: VPPs and Aid: Characteristics (please help me find the rule)

Insofar as its a power (aid), and not a characteristic, its book legal and has a mechanical balance in that the aid has a fade rate. As Chris noted, it would fade at the powers designated fade rate. I would, as a GM, view attempts to sneak in a delayed fade rate on an aid purchased via a power pool with a jaundiced eye, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: VPPs and Aid: Characteristics (please help me find the rule)

I have a player in my group who wanted to do this. I made it clear up front that the moment he moved his points the power responds as if it was not used at all.

In this way he does not wake up "boost" all stats at once, go about his day, then pull his points into something else. If he uses Aid and wants the fade to continue through out the turn he must retain the allocated points and accept the current fade rate. At any point he removes the allocated points in the VPP for the Aid for use of another power, the fade rate of the Aid disappears and the STATS return to normal immediately. To me the "fade" is an aspect of the power "Aid" therefore when there is no power then there is no fade rate.

This is otherwise an abuse of intent of the rules IMO however many GM's are different with their interpretation. HERO system gives very strong leeway for intent on powers including VPP's. It is always advisable for players to speak with your G.M. about your characters and how you both interpret them.

Don't forget VPP is based upon special effects, just because you can do something does not mean should do something if it does not conform to your VPP's special effect. GO over carefully what your VPP Special effect is.

BTW... Yes I know this is not according to the rules but it works in my game and it does IMO avoid many potential abuses. VPP is powerful enough as is to not worry about the player feeling weak from any restrictions on it.