END Reserve that begins with 0 END in it?

Hey all,

I'm working on a character with an END Reserve that is fuelled by Absorption. I'd like it to begin with 0 END in the reserve. I'd also like the Reserve to lose END that it has inside over time, draining eventually to 0 End again.

I'm a little unsure as to how to build that, however. Any ideas? :D

Re: END Reserve that begins with 0 END in it?

Buy it with END so that you know how much it can hold maximum, but you buy no Recovery.

The END will fade over time based on the Absorption fade rate or the characters END use, but it will never recover on it's own.

Hey all,

I'm working on a character with an END Reserve that is fuelled by Absorption. I'd like it to begin with 0 END in the reserve. I'd also like the Reserve to lose END that it has inside over time, draining eventually to 0 End again.

I'm a little unsure as to how to build that, however. Any ideas? :D

Well, just to get it on the sheet, buy a 1 point reserve. Buy no Recovery. there, you've paid the minimum cost to have a reserve. that 1 point of End will be used eventually, and then your Absorbtion will feed into it. just having the reserve for the absorbtion to go into is worth a point, though I could see some GM's charging you nothing for it.

Buy it with END so that you know how much it can hold maximum, but you buy no Recovery.

The END will fade over time based on the Absorption fade rate or the characters END use, but it will never recover on it's own.

That actually does not work. :)

10 pts: Endurance Reserve 100 END, 0 REC.

Now if you absorb 25 points, your Reserve goes to 25/125, not 25/100. So you really do not need any maximum, because Absorb already increases the maximum. You would need to use one of the following tricks:

- Maximum of 0, but some recovery, Using the Absorb to boost the max, and then the recovery to fill the new pool you have (can be used multiple times, and is probably the most fun and useful). Also, you will need to buy up the amount of possibly absorbed points you can achieve, since 3d6 absorb only goes up to 18 (36 end, the 1:10 is not used here IIRC).

- Use the "buy END reserve without recovery" approach, but use healing + Trigger to fill the maximum.

- Use charges and "hard to recover". My favourite, it's simple, it's a limitation and works easily.

Always think about this: Does your power get worse than the generic "uses generic END/ has 16 charges" version? Because if it does, it's a limitation and paying points for a endurance reserve is not the right way to do it. Absorb is usually *very* expensive, and you might end up paying 50 points to get an effect which is far worse than the advantage 0 END for +1/2.

Now if you absorb 25 points, your Reserve goes to 25/125, not 25/100. So you really do not need any maximum, because Absorb already increases the maximum. You would need to use one of the following tricks:

Hmm? Unless you split the absorb, wouldnt the aborbed points go either to END reserve only, or Recovery only, not both at once?

And Why buy Any? The amount isnt just a maximum, but the actual END in the reserve. So buy the minimum amounts of END reserve mandated by the rules or campaign limits, whichever is more strict, put it all into an END reserve, with no recovery. Define all Absorbtion as going to the reserve not recovery, and you are done.

Absorb is usually *very* expensive, and you might end up paying 50 points to get an effect which is far worse than the advantage 0 END for +1/2

True--Absorbtion only going to an END reserve is a lot of points for a small effect.

30 points makes a 60 point AP power zero end. 30 points is only 6d6 of absorbtion, which, at best will provide 72 END for an END reserve, enough to fire that power 12 times.

Of course, if you want to simulate a "hit one, fre, exhaust energy until hit again" just buying 2d6, +40 MAX absorbed then the rest of the points allows it to aborb up to 104 END, enough to fire it 18 times before hitting the 'cannot aborb any more' problem.

Doing it as some form of recoverabel charge looks more attractive for simplicity.

You are misunderstanding me I think. Bloodstone said: "Buy x END in a Endreserve, to know the maximum you can hold." That is incorrect. If you use Absorption, you don't need any maximum, since the absorbed points increase not only the current amount of END you have, but also the maximum amount of END that can be inside the Reserve. So spending 0 points for a 0 END, 0 REC reserve would be enough (or 1 point) :)

I would do it like this though:

16 charges (+0), Hard to recover because character has to get hit by certain things (-1), Automatically deplete at end of scene (-1). Choose numbers so it fits. Basically think about how often he does get charges and use the value for Increased Recovery Time, and then think about him not being able to use any charge in the meantime and add a value to that according to how long it is. If he cannot use his powers every second battle, that's -1/2, if he can only use them every 5 battles, that's 1 1/2. Etc.

This is one of the few things that Hero is not good at doing. Another idea:

I assume the Power in question is an EB for 60 activepoints. You have 6 charges on it, so each charge is worth 10AP (further limitations make this complicated...). Now use the absorb to fill the power, and for each 10 AP filled, you get a charge back. That's how you would use charges in a VPP. Still, you would essentially need to buy an absorb to be limited. Kinda sucks.

Last version: Instead of absorbing END, do it like this:

simple version: EB 1d6, no end (7.5 AP), Absorb 12d6 (60 AP), feeds into EB. That's it. Your Absorb will now not power the amount of shots, but the strength of the attack. In essence, you can only use the power a couple times and then *it will just run out*. It will also run out like that. Points are fine, you get a theoretically very big power, but you cannot use it without getting hit. Sure, the concept is slightly changed, but it has gotten rather more interesting than less :)

complicated version: Assuming you don't want to be able to use the EB without getting hit, but you also don't want the absorbing to take eternities to get a decent EB. Do this:

EB 4d6, 0 END (30 AP), cannot be used until absorbed up to 8d6 (-1), and Absorb 6d6 (30 AP). The usual absorb will give you just about 8d6 at 0 END. There you go?

If you want to really build your concept, try to do it somewhere along the lines of VPP + Charges, that's what does the same.

That actually does not work. :)

Put "Only To Restore to Starting Values" limitation on Absorption... or you can use the Absorption as Healing option from Ultimate Energy Projector...

(which is not to say the other suggestions are bad ideas)