Indiana's pistol

Guest voodoo54

Guest voodoo54

Since were on an Indy kick right now, does anybody know what model pistol Indiana carries in Raiders of the Lost Ark? It looks like a British revolver but I could be wrong.

Guest voodoo54

Re: Indiana's pistol

Wow, thanks. Yea now that I think back I do remember it seemed like he had several different pistols in different scenes of the movies. I think they should have fired the continuity and/or props guy.:P

I still don't think that the automatic pistol Indy uses in the bar fight in "Raiders" looks like a Hi-Power. It looks more like the smaller Browning 1903 model or a Colt .380 to me. This would seem to make more sense as it is a smaller weapon and more easily carried in the pocket as a "back up" to his revolver.

I still don't think that the automatic pistol Indy uses in the bar fight in "Raiders" looks like a Hi-Power. It looks more like the smaller Browning 1903 model or a Colt .380 to me. This would seem to make more sense as it is a smaller weapon and more easily carried in the pocket as a "back up" to his revolver.

I always thought he used a 1911 and a Colt SAA.

I always thought he used a 1911 and a Colt SAA.
I still think that the automatic used in the bar fight in "Raiders" looks too small to be either a Browning Hi-Power or a Colt 1911. That is the only automatic I remember Indy using. As to the revolvers the one shown in "Raiders" is a "swing cylinder" type, probably a Colt or Smith and Wesson, although exact calibre is hard to judge. The revolver he uses in the tank chase in "Last Crusade" is DEFINATELY a Webley; the "stirrup lock" that was a feature of Webley and Enfield pistols is quite clearly seen when he opens it at one point. Two of my reference books on Indiana Jones ("The Ultimate Guide" and "The Indiana Jones Handbook") (only procurred on thursday) claim that he uses a Browning Hi-Power but I just dont see it.

A Colt SAA DOES appear in "Raiders"; it is the weapon that Indy whips from the hand of his guide when that duplicitous individual tries to shoot him in the back in the opening sequence !

Wow' date=' thanks. Yea now that I think back I do remember it seemed like he had several different pistols in different scenes of the movies. I think they should have fired the continuity and/or props guy.:P[/quote'] I don't know about firing the continuity or props guy. It just means that Indy doesn't have a favorite weapon and in fact it shows that he carries different types of weapons in different situations. A Webley or a Colt 1917 aren't exactly the sort of gun that you can conceal on your person easily should the need arise, hence the smaller automatic that he uses in "Raiders" after he has fired all the shots from his revolver !

Guest voodoo54

I don't know about firing the continuity or props guy. It just means that Indy doesn't have a favorite weapon and in fact it shows that he carries different types of weapons in different situations. A Webley or a Colt 1917 aren't exactly the sort of gun that you can conceal on your person easily should the need arise' date=' hence the smaller automatic that he uses in "Raiders" after he has fired all the shots from his revolver ![/quote']

But before he leaves for nepal in Raiders they make a point of showing him pack his revolver in his bag then in the bar shoot out he is firing a semi-automatic which is probably a Browning High Power or 1911. How hard would it have been to show him firing the revolver he packed earlier? Yea I know he could of packed more weapons or picked up another pistol enroute but come on.:joint:

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the trilogy in awhile so I could be wrong on these points

But before he leaves for nepal in Raiders they make a point of showing him pack his revolver in his bag then in the bar shoot out he is firing a semi-automatic which is probably a Browning High Power or 1911. How hard would it have been to show him firing the revolver he packed earlier? Yea I know he could of packed more weapons or picked up another pistol enroute but come on.:joint:

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the trilogy in awhile so I could be wrong on these points

I would maintain that the automatic that he is shown firing during the bar fight is too small to be a Browning Hi-Power or a Colt 1911. I still say that it is a Colt Pocket or a Browning 1903. In the bar fight he also STARTS by using his revolver, then switches to the automatic when he runs out of bullets.

Guest voodoo54

I would maintain that the automatic that he is shown firing during the bar fight is too small to be a Browning Hi-Power or a Colt 1911. I still say that it is a Colt Pocket or a Browning 1903. In the bar fight he also STARTS by using his revolver' date=' then switches to the automatic when he runs out of bullets.[/quote']

Point taken, I'll have to watch Raiders again to see if I can tell what kind of automatic pistol he's using. But I dont think he would have to be to worried about carrying an unconcealed pistol in a remote village in Nepal in the 1930's!

There isn't a really clear shot of the pistol but its definately one of the larger Browning designs 1911A1 or High Power. The smaller Browning pocket pistols have concealed hammers and a different look to them,it looks to be the right size for the HP or 1911 as well.

Obviously, the airline lost his luggage, so he had to pick up a new gun. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

At least at one point during the bar fight, Indy uses a Browning Hi-Power. I'd have to watch it again to see if he ALSO uses a 1911 - but the two pistols are of similar size and design - although very distinctive if seen side-by-side.

It's entirely possible that Indy carried three guns, or picked up a gun (probably a Hi-Power) during the fight, or picked up the 1911 while he was rifling through Marion's stuff (what, you think he actually left like she asked? :) ).

• 3 weeks later...

The truth behind Indy's pistol is it changes throughout each of the movies. The latest movie :Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He uses a .38 Break action Webley revolver.

but in the Raiders of the Lost ark he definatly used a revolver that had a swing out cyliander. IN certain fights indy is always willing to pick up different guns as pointed out before, but the default weapon he keeps coming back to seems to be that little 6 shooter.

• 4 weeks later...

That makes sense. Remember that, during the "interwar' period most automatic pistols did not take kindly to the sort of rugged conditions in which Indy operates. Dust, mud ,water etc would render the majority of automatics of the time useless, so a reliable revolver is a more certain choice as a firearm if one is running about in tropical jungles or sandy deserts !

Guest voodoo54

That makes sense. Remember that' date=' during the "interwar' period most automatic pistols did not take kindly to the sort of rugged conditions in which Indy operates. Dust, mud ,water etc would render the majority of automatics of the time useless, so a reliable revolver is a more certain choice as a firearm if one is running about in tropical jungles or sandy deserts ![/quote']

I agree with you for the most part but the M1911 was made pre WW1 and has been an excellent, rugged design for almost 100 years.

I agree with you for the most part but the M1911 was made pre WW1 and has been an excellent' date=' rugged design for almost 100 years.[/quote'] I agree with that. I was suggesting that the reason that Indy doesn't carry an automatic all the time is that, generally they were less reliable than revolvers in harsh conditions, less tolerant of sand, dirt, moisture etc (just the sort of conditions that Indy operates in a lot of the time).