My Take On Urban Fantasy

DEFCON Clown

In the Urban Fantasy: Warnings thread I mentioned that I would post my take on Urban Fantasy. Well I finally got off my lazy butt and decided to write this thread.

The Magical World

The magical world doesn't contain fairies, gnomes, elves, dwarfs, goblins, orcs, or really any of the typical fantasy races or monsters with a few exceptions. Dragons do NOT exist. There are werewolves and vampires.

Vampires are NEVER attractive or "good" they are predators that view humans ONLY as food. They don't have to feed very often (about once a month).

Werewolves are also NEVER good. Most people who are werewolves never know. Werewolves cannot willingly transform from human into wolf form or from wolf to human. Werewolves are pack creatures they always attempt to form new packs when alone. A single werewolf is a savage and unthinking beast. As more pack members are acquired the whole pack gets more intelligent and dangerous.

Magic is kept hidden but there is no secret group of mages running the world behind the scenes. It is kept hidden because the mages fear for their lives if the world at large finds out about them.

All magic is ritual magic, some rituals are short and simple enough to use at a moments notice others require much much longer. Most people can't provide the energy to power their own magic those who can are called Adepts. Everyone else needs to get their power from someone or somewhere else.

Figures from mythology, King Arthur, Apollo, ect.. are not real.

I'll add more to this later.

Re: My Take On Urban Fantasy

I like it, and I know it's just a preliminary brainstorm, but a magical world populated by only adepts, vampires, and werewolves seems pretty limited. Need to expand the bestiary some, either with some of the tried-and-true stuff or something original.