Money Perk

Mirgos

Re: Money Perk

After looking at the Money Perk' date=' I have a question - does it represent having a job or just income of any sort? And if it is for any income would a Disadvantage be appropriate to show the restrictions a character with a job would have on his free time for adventuring, etc.[/quote']We've always assumed a PC has a job or income unless he states otherwise. Wealth represents something above median/disposable income just as you can take a Disad to represent being below that level.

Everyone on our supers team MidGuard pulls down $100K+; only one PC has Wealth. Everyone has a job; most for the philanthropic organization which secretly funds and supports our team.

You could invest part of the wealth in income generating ventures. You can decide if they are low' date=' medium or high risk. Roll 3d6 and that is the percentage income for a low risk venture. Roll a 3 and lose the wealth. For a medium risk, double the percentage income but lose the wealth on a 3 or 4, and for high risk, triple the percentage income but lose th ewealth on a 3, 4 or 5. You can concert investment capital back to wealth very quickly if you need to.[/quote']

Complete aside but WHERE ARE YOU INVESTING? A completely liquid investment that generates an average return above 10% with minimal risk? I'll split my capital in 20 and buy 20 high risk ventures. Even if I'm unlucky and lose 20% of my capital, the other 16 ventures return 480% x 80% of my capital.

Probably a good starting point for Venture Capital Hero, though.

Complete aside but WHERE ARE YOU INVESTING? A completely liquid investment that generates an average return above 10% with minimal risk? I'll split my capital in 20 and buy 20 high risk ventures. Even if I'm unlucky and lose 20% of my capital, the other 16 ventures return 480% x 80% of my capital.

Probably a good starting point for Venture Capital Hero, though.

Oh I'm not saying it is not generous, but it is relatively simple. The idea was that the % return is annual, not instant. So a 10-30% (on average) annual return (income) based on risk - you'd never get near 480%. You'd be getting an average of 31.5% of your capital as high risk income (still pretty good, I have to concede) with a 4.5% chance of losing the capital of each investment.

That would mean that for your 20 high risk investments you lose 1 and make 30% on 19: for 20X$1000 you make $5985 annually and lose $1000, on average, an annual income of $4985 on $20000.

If that needs tweaking, double the number for losing the investment, so 1x3d6% income you lose on 3 or 4 (2% chance), 2x3d6% you lose on 3 to 6 (nearly 10% chance) and 3x3d6% you lose on 3 to 8 (over 25% chance).

That would mean that for your 20 high risk investments you lose 5 and make 30% on 15: for 20X$1000 you make $4500 annually and lose $5000, on average. That would be a loss of $500 on average (splitting your investment makes no senses for a high risk venture - you might as well put all your eggs in one basket and win or lose big).

Like I said - simply too much work for a lot of games, but if you have a financial/trading aspect to your games then it could be an interesting approach.

Oh I'm not saying it is not generous' date=' but it is relatively simple. The idea was that the % return is annual, not instant. So a 10-30% (on average) annual return (income) based on risk - you'd never get near 480%. You'd be getting an average of 31.5% of your capital as high risk income (still pretty good, I have to concede) with a 4.5% chance of losing the capital of each investment.[/quote']

Do you know of any virtually risk-free investments that generate a 10% annual return? If I were to go so far into such a structure, I'd want something that focuses a bit more on realism.

That would mean that for your 20 high risk investments you lose 1 and make 30% on 19: for 20X$1000 you make $5985 annually and lose $1000' date=' on average, an annual income of $4985 on $20000.[/quote']

The diversification has turned "risky" into almost 25% annual return with pretty limited volatility, hasn't it?

If that needs tweaking, double the number for losing the investment, so 1x3d6% income you lose on 3 or 4 (2% chance), 2x3d6% you lose on 3 to 6 (nearly 10% chance) and 3x3d6% you lose on 3 to 8 (over 25% chance).

That would mean that for your 20 high risk investments you lose 5 and make 30% on 15: for 20X$1000 you make $4500 annually and lose $5000, on average. That would be a loss of $500 on average (splitting your investment makes no senses for a high risk venture - you might as well put all your eggs in one basket and win or lose big).

In the real world, diversification does work. And a 10% annual return in pretty much perfect safety is still a great deal. But the only thing this proves is any such system would need some playtesting and, like you, I'm not eager enough to implements such a structure to put all the effort into testing it.

Get out a Stock Ticker game and let the players invest through that!

Like I said - simply too much work for a lot of games' date=' but if you have a financial/trading aspect to your games then it could be an interesting approach.[/quote']

Yup - too much work until there's a good reason to do it.

Do you know of any virtually risk-free investments that generate a 10% annual return? If I were to go so far into such a structure, I'd want something that focuses a bit more on realism.

Yup - too much work until there's a good reason to do it.

Hugh, mate, this is an ad hoc idea that someone might be interested in developing, as many of my suggestions are, not a thought through system designed to simulate financial investment markets. You don't like the risk to return ratios, you tweak the numbers.

Like I said in both posts, there will be a limited sort of game where this is worth developing at all, or, more like, a limited group of players it is worth developing for. Run a trading game, say where you are a group running a small 'Firefly' type spaceship, or a privateer frigate in the 16th century, or even a cyberpunk game where money is the prime motivator for much of the game, and better wealth rules are essential - the ones we have are incredibly simplistic (not a criticism as such - generally money is not something you worry too much about in RPGs).

In that sort of case, and indeed, thinking about it, in the case of someone asking 'do I need to ahve a job to earn this wealth', it might be sensible to assume wealth is capital rather than income, and work from there.