Old School Japanese Cartoon Builds

Odraude

So I was looking through IGN the other day when I came across a new arcade gaming coming out in Japan. It is called Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes. Seems like Capcom once again wants to beat the crap out of another universe. What got my attention was that the Tatsunoko wasn't even a video game company but actually an Anime company that dates back to the 70's. Whats more is that there seems to be alot of the old school late 70's characters (Gatchaman) as well as the Toy-Biz era of the 80's (Robotech). All of the characters for the Tatsunoko side were like Japan's own 4 color superheroes. This got me thinking...

What if you could make your own Tatsunoko-type Hero? What powers/gadgets would he have? Would he be a robot warrior or a superhero of the future? Alot of the T-Hero archetypes involved space (Gatchaman, Robotech, Tekkaman: The Space Knight) and others dealt with robots of the future (Robotech, Neo-Human Casshern, Voltron). And lets not forget their costumes which were one piece tights with that Samurai swoosh on the helmet (look at every Gundam since Wing as well as Viewtiful Joe and you will see what I am talking about). And lets not forget the corniness factor.

So what character would you make? That is the challenge!

Re: Old School Japanese Cartoon Builds

Maybe a giant robot samurai that only does the bidding of its creator's schoolgirl daughter. She woudl get into various troublesome encounters with space ninjas, demonic bullies, tentactled invaders, what-have-you...and then she would telepathically summon the robot.

The girl would be normal, other than some telepathy. But the Robot would be a galactic ghero, capable of saving the world from giant monsters, threats from outer space and so forth. It would have to fire missiles from its fingertips and know karate as well as fly and have a protective compartment (with windows) where the girl and her friends could witness all the action in safety.

Maybe a giant robot samurai that only does the bidding of its creator's schoolgirl daughter. She woudl get into various troublesome encounters with space ninjas, demonic bullies, tentactled invaders, what-have-you...and then she would telepathically summon the robot.

The girl would be normal, other than some telepathy. But the Robot would be a galactic ghero, capable of saving the world from giant monsters, threats from outer space and so forth. It would have to fire missiles from its fingertips and know karate as well as fly and have a protective compartment (with windows) where the girl and her friends could witness all the action in safety.

I like that :) Now we gotta give the robot an awesome name!

I think i'll try and make a character sheet for this one unless you want to?

So here is a little something I made for this. I introduce to you... Gigaman!

Gigamancopy.jpg

Nation: Japan

Powers: Super Strength, Flight, Invulnerability, Energy Blast, An "Evil Sense" that tells him when someone has done something wrong.

Background: In the advanced future of 2005, mankind has reached the stars permanently with space colonies and lunar/Martian arcologies housing thousands of people escaping a polluted Earth. Tensions between Earth and the moon rise because there is a special metal called Giganium that is discovered on the moon. This alloy is an incredibly durable material that is very abundant only on the moon. This causes the lunar colonies to charge high prices for the Giganium. The Earth tried hard to synthesis Giganium but to no avail.

That is until Dr. Kindly, a smart and good scientist discovered how to create Giganium in small amounts. With it he created nanobots made from Giganium and made a suit that would help with space construction. Durable and granting the wearer super strength, it would usher in a new age of space construction.

However, there were others that wanted it. Earth wanted the scientist to build an army of those suits. The lunar colonies wanted the formula so they could control the Giganium for their own gain. The lunar colonies and the Earth federation thus both sent SpecOps teams to steal the formula and eradicate Dr. Kindly.

Dr. Kindly had an assistant named Katsuji that was part psychic and able to sense impending evil as well as a mechanically inclined daughter named Miko. As the teams broke in, fighting ensued between which team would take the formula. Katsuji grabbed the device that would initiate the nanobots and activated it, forming the suit around him. He fought off the intruders and saved the daughter. Unfortunately Dr. Kindly had been shot in the process and died in the lab.

Since then Katsuji, aka Gigaman has been on the run from all sides with his friend Miko and robot buddy Widget as they save the people from tyranny of both Earth and the moon and terrorist attacks from the Martians, who want Gigaman for their own dark purposes.

So there he is! Defender of the bright future of 2005!! I thought of a couple disadvantages including:

Announces a super attack before he does it. His big attacks are the Gigas Punch (energy Punch) and the Gigas Cannon, a large energy beam he projects from both arms.

Code against killing

Naive

In love with Miko

Weakness to EMP fields

The character design was based on Casshan from the anime Neo-Human Casshern.

I'll post the character sheet eventually. Just gotta deal with RL issues!

I like that :) Now we gotta give the robot an awesome name!

I think i'll try and make a character sheet for this one unless you want to?

Haha. Feel free on the writeup...I've got a long enough agenda right now.

But for a name:

Daihogusha Jinzo

( "great protector Jinzo" )

Haha. Feel free on the writeup...I've got a long enough agenda right now.

But for a name:

Daihogusha Jinzo

( "great protector Jinzo" )

Awesome name! I like it! I'll have to write it up sometime tomorrow as projects are getting in the way.

Also you wouldn't happen to know the Kanji for that would you? I figured maybe I could do a cool design for him.

Awesome name! I like it! I'll have to write it up sometime tomorrow as projects are getting in the way.

Also you wouldn't happen to know the Kanji for that would you? I figured maybe I could do a cool design for him.

Sorry, I don't know kanji. I don't really know Japanese, either.

I'm not Japanese. I just play one on the internets.

Here it is, Uchū no Kishi Gigasman! (Gigaman the Space Knight!). There are not alot of skills yet as I will be working on them later. The build is so far 260 outta 350 with a 75 Active Point Limit.The file is in .txt format that is TAB delimited to allow for Importing into Excel.

His attacks are as followed (and always preceded by him saying the attack). His attacks come from the malfunctioning energy welding ability that the suit would use to weld metal together but the energy would overload. Now used for energy attacks.

Gigas Punch!: An energy punch that crushes foes.

Gigas Kick!: An energy kick that can let Gigaman travel forwards into the enemy.

Gigas Buster!: Energy shots that damage foes

Gigas Cannon!: a larger beam that punches through armor

Final Supremacy Gigas Cannon!: A final no-holds-barred Shinku Haodouken type move that spells the end for mighty foes, but drains Gigaman.

Gigaman can fly at speeds up to 223.7 mph (360 km/hr). He is also able to lift up to 6,400 kilograms. At 5' 8" he can bring on the pain!