Running Hero with defined Disadvantages?

slaughterj

Has anyone ever run Hero without defined Disadvantages?

I was thinking about running 5e FH at some point, and got to thinking about disadvantages, especially in light in how they are treated in D&D (not at all) and Mutants & Masterminds (very little). When running a game, I usually set out the world/setting in which the game will be run, and have people provide character backgrounds based on that setting - frequently the background will effectively include Hunteds, Psych Lims, etc., regardless of the system used. It seems one could simply say how many points characters will be made from total (e.g., 150pt starting FH characters) and ask for a background, and if you think there should be more to it, ask the players to expand on it, including providing suggestions based on what they come up with. Thoughts?

Re: Running Hero with defined Disadvantages?

Originally posted by slaughterj

Has anyone ever run Hero with defined Disadvantages?

I was thinking about running 5e FH at some point, and got to thinking about disadvantages, especially in light in how they are treated in D&D (not at all) and Mutants & Masterminds (very little). When running a game, I usually set out the world/setting in which the game will be run, and have people provide character backgrounds based on that setting - frequently the background will effectively include Hunteds, Psych Lims, etc., regardless of the system used. It seems one could simply say how many points characters will be made from total (e.g., 150pt starting FH characters) and ask for a background, and if you think there should be more to it, ask the players to expand on it, including providing suggestions based on what they come up with. Thoughts?

If I'm understanding your line of thinking, your question asks "Has anyone run a campaign where the heroes created must take certain disadvantages already defined by the GM?"

If that's the question, I haven't done that or been in one. However, some friends of mine have. The campaign lasted about 2 years so I guess it was fun. I can see quite a few advantages as well as disadvantages with this.

A few Advantages:

Players know the general setting. Most likely, the common background will easily bring them together and fairly quickly. It can give them a common goal, a common enemy and even a base run by their benefactor.

Disadvantages:

Players may not want those disadvantages. Hey, it's happened before.

Re: Re: Running Hero with defined Disadvantages?

Originally posted by Tech

If I'm understanding your line of thinking, your question asks "Has anyone run a campaign where the heroes created must take certain disadvantages already defined by the GM?"

If that's the question, I haven't done that or been in one. However, some friends of mine have. The campaign lasted about 2 years so I guess it was fun. I can see quite a few advantages as well as disadvantages with this.

A few Advantages:

Players know the general setting. Most likely, the common background will easily bring them together and fairly quickly. It can give them a common goal, a common enemy and even a base run by their benefactor.

Disadvantages:

Players may not want those disadvantages. Hey, it's happened before.

Ack, actually I for the "out" on "without" [Edited above now], what I mean is, has anyone ever run Hero without having players stat out their disads, instead where players just provide a character background that effectively results in some?