Spider Monkey

JmOz

So, I want to start a teen champion campeign for my family, I have decided to use some stuff I had come up for my old centurians campeign, anyways, for my son's character I present Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey was a lab animal, that became a super genius (as far as monkey's go) and learned to speak, realising that it might not go well for him if he revealed this he kept it to himself. One of the lab techs was into Wuxia movies, and soon Spider Monkey was as well, practicing the moves he saw on the TV. When VIPER attacked he was taken (Why not steal lab annimals). When a group of heroes took down the nest he revealed to the martial artist that he could speak, for the next 2 months he stayed with the hero team, the martial artist showing him a thing or two, finaly it was decided to enroll him in the centurian accadamy to help him learn about the world.

Spider Monkey

Player:

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

23 DEX 39

15 CON 10

7 BODY -6

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

8 PRE -2

10 COM 0

3/5 PD 1

3/5 ED 0

5 SPD 17

5 REC 0

30 END 0

20 STUN 0

5" RUN -2

2" SWIM 0

5" LEAP 3

Characteristics Cost: 70

Cost Power

Monkey Powers

7 1) Claws: HKA 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR) (vs. PD) (10 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

5 2) Extra Limb (1), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)

5 3) Nightvision

20 4) Small Size: +4 with DCV

4 Combat Luck: Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Combat Luck (-3/4)

6 Staff: HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), HA (-1/2)

Costume, all slots IIF (-1/4)

4 1) Damage Resistance (5 PD/5 ED) (5 Active Points)

4 2) LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (5 Active Points)

6 Centurian Communicator: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, Number of Minds (x2) (15 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), IIF (-1/4), Sense Affected as Radio and Hearing instead of Mental (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 61

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR to Disarm

4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5 Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 Strike

4 Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 Strike

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

Martial Arts Cost: 22

Cost Skill

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

3 Acrobatics 14-

1 Acting 8-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

7 Concealment 15-

3 Contortionist 14-

1 Conversation 8-

1 Deduction 8-

1 AK: Homeland 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

1 2) KS: Kung Fu (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Martial Arts Movies (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Linguist

2 1) Language: English (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 2) Language: Japanese (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 3) Language: Mandarin (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3 4) Language: Spider Monkey (Native) (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

2 PS: Student 11-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

1 Seduction 8-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

7 Stealth 16-

1 Survival 8-

1 Teamwork 8-

2 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons

Skills Cost: 69

Cost Perk

3 Contact: Unnamed Martial Arts Hero (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 8-

Perks Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 225

Pts. Disadvantage

15 DF: 1.5 Foot Tall Monkey (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: Centurians 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Phys. Lim.: Diminutive, +6 KB (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Phys. Lim.: Unfamiliar with "Normal Culture" (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Psych. Lim.: Impulsive (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Psych. Lim.: Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

15 Psych. Lim.: Code of the Wuxia (Common, Strong)

5 Soc. Lim.: Pending Legal Status (Occasionally, Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 125

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Spider Monkey

Now, I* should mention this is just the alpha build (I am a tinker by nature)

a few things I am not happy with, his defenses are in the basement (While he has an insane DCV)

And he can lift 200 lbs...that seems a lot for this character

His Damage Resistance is actualy illegal right now as well, what I get for copying a power, (He has more DR than defences)

I am away from the computer that has Hero Designer on it, so not going to be able to do much right now on it but a few ideas, Changing his staff to being STR based (I can see it being used to pry open doors, hold up weights, pole vaulting, etc, not as versitile as true strength, but more than HA), of course it will have No figured on it

Thinking of droping his Str to 0, but give it a -1/4 lim (maybe -0)of No Lifting While not 100% rules legal I will still let it add to Figured characteristics, damage, etc...

Might drop claws to a +1 instead of 1/2d6, it is only on the sheet because the one in the beastiary had a similar power, would not mind seeing it droped all together in truth

If possible I would like to get his defences up to 10, still the bottom of the curve but not quite so bottom, also, his DCV is proably to high, but I don't want to drop it much/any because of concept (He should be high dex, he should have a MA package, he should have size bonus to his DCV). WHile the CSL's are not needed (The 2 with MA) I see him using them for OCV/Damage more often.

I also am thinking of droping the limited manipulation on the tail and including his feet in the extra limbs

Well those are the ideas SO Far

So made a bunch of changes, most minor, still concerned with the extremly high DCV (and ironicaly some of the skills I upped as well, but realised for F/X reasons they should be upped)

So the only "standing problem" is the extremly high DCV, but then it would be nice to be able to 1/2 DCV and not worry to much about it (For some combat manuvers and such...)

so here is the current build

Spider Monkey

Player:

Val Char Cost

10/20 STR -10

23 DEX 39

15 CON 10

7 BODY -6

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

8 PRE -2

8 COM -1

4/10 PD 2

4/10 ED 1

5 SPD 17

5 REC 0

30 END 0

20 STUN 0

5" RUN -2

2" SWIM 0

3"/5" LEAP 1

Characteristics Cost: 54

Cost Power

Monkey Powers

3 1) Claws: HKA 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD) (5 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

3 2) +1 PER with all Sense Groups

6 3) Feet & Tail: Extra Limbs (3), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)

5 4) Nightvision

20 5) Small Size: +4 with DCV

12 6) Small Size: +4 with Stealth Based Skills Stealth, Concealment, Shadowing

Martial Abilities

12 1) Combat Luck: Armor (6 PD/6 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Combat Luck (-3/4)

8 2) +10 STR (10 Active Points); Combat Only (-1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)

Equipment

6 1) Staff: +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

5 2) Centurian Communicator: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, Number of Minds (x2) (15 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), IIF (-1/4), Sense Affected as Radio and Hearing instead of Mental (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

7 3) Costume: (Total: 9 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED) (4 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) [Notes: Costume actualy is 5/5 DR, but as Spider Monkey only has 4/4 defence the extra point of rPD/rED is only a F/X issue]

Powers Cost: 87

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR / 30 STR to Disarm

4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5 Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 / 8d6 Strike

3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 3d6 / 5d6 Strike, Target Falls

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

Martial Arts Cost: 21

Cost Skill

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

3 Acrobatics 14-

1 Acting 8-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Contortionist 14-

1 Conversation 8-

1 Deduction 8-

1 AK: Homeland 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 12-

1 2) KS: Kung Fu (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Martial Arts Movies (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 12-

3 Linguist

2 1) Language: English (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 2) Language: Japanese (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 3) Language: Mandarin (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

2 4) Language: Spider Monkey (Native) (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 PS: Student 11-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

1 Seduction 8-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Stealth 14-

1 Survival 8-

1 Teamwork 8-

2 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons

Skills Cost: 60

Cost Perk

3 Contact: Unnamed Martial Arts Hero (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 8-

Perks Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 225

Pts. Disadvantage

15 DF: 1.5 Foot Tall Monkey (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: Centurians 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Phys. Lim.: Diminutive, +6 KB (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Phys. Lim.: Unfamiliar with "Normal Culture" (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Psych. Lim.: Impulsive (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Psych. Lim.: Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

15 Psych. Lim.: Code of the Wuxia (Common, Strong)

5 Soc. Lim.: Pending Legal Status (Occasionally, Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 125

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

For the record, Spider Monkeys do not have claws. They have finger nails... they also have no thumbs on their hands...

Asa side note, my character Chimera started off as a teenage hero named Spider Monkey (all he had was monkey powers back then) :)

Also, one of Ben 10's new aliens is called Spider Monkey, though he's actually got spider and monkey powers ;)

For the record, Spider Monkeys do not have claws. They have finger nails... they also have no thumbs on their hands...

Asa side note, my character Chimera started off as a teenage hero named Spider Monkey (all he had was monkey powers back then) :)

Also, one of Ben 10's new aliens is called Spider Monkey, though he's actually got spider and monkey powers ;)

Wow...so you just like made me have to rethink the character (Actualy I will just switch it to another type of monkey that does have thumbs and is the right size...). As for the claws...I would not mind seeing them off the sheet entirely

In re: Spider Monkey -- does he do enough damage to stay afloat in your game? If not' date=' you're asking to be frustrated.[/quote']

8d6 (O.Strike w/staff) is going to be a mid grade attack (6dc-10dc is planned)

Defenses should be in the 10-20 range, with CV's in th 5-10

Well, if you are looking for another type of monkey, Capuchin's are used extensively in lab work, have a prehensile tail, are the right size and are considered the most intelligent of all New World Monkeys.

Might need to bump that COM up though. Most people think they are pretty cute, especially in the little red suit ;)

Well, if you are looking for another type of monkey, Capuchin's are used extensively in lab work, have a prehensile tail, are the right size and are considered the most intelligent of all New World Monkeys.

Might need to bump that COM up though. Most people think they are pretty cute, especially in the little red suit ;)

Do they have opposable thumbs? And how do you know so much about monkies? thanks for the help...