Utsusemi aka Blink?

Life

Utsusemi: Ichi / NI - Uses the ninja tool, "Shihei". Creates (3/4) shadow images that each absorb a single attack directed at you.

This spell is FFXI (Final Fantasy XI) created. The type of "Job" (class) that uses this are Ninjas or Thieves. Both jobs are highly evasive. Taking a hit that would do a brick 60-70 damage would do 100-140 damage. Their are two versions of the spell. Utsusemi: Ichi (v1) has a casting time of 4s, recast delay of 30s and gives the user 3 shadows that absorb all damge that targets the user. Utsusemi: Ni (v2) l has a casting time of 2s, recast time of 45s and gives the user 4 shadows. Both can't be cased upon one another. If you cast Ni (v2) it overwrites Ichi (v1) but you can't cast Ichi to over write Ni. The person can cancel either spell at will, while casting any other spell or other actions. Each time you use the spell it uses a tool called Shihei.

In game we use this to "Tank" monsters that pretty much hit waaaay to hard even for tanks. You can read about the spell here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Utsusemi:_Ni

Disads

• casting Delay
  • recast time
  • charges - 2 types??
    • Type 1: The spell uses little tools to cast.. which means if youno tools you can't cast your spell. It Auto uses a tool when you use it. (meaing you don't have to reach and pull one out of your bag.. Which means unless you check you have no idea how many you used (it happens)).
    • Type 2:You have 4 Shadows once you lose it, you can only regain it by recasting the spell.

[*]Gestures

[*]Incantations

[*]Loses all charges (Type 2) if an user is affected by an AOE...

• If you hit his/her area the spell drops losing all shadows.

I bolded some the areas that I was in question about. One of the biggest questions I had however... Was.. Well.. What type of def is this? A Force Field or a Force Wall w/ Self only? How many points? The spell would stop a small 1d6 to a 20d6+ spell/HTH attack (so long as it's not aoe). Also a person is able to cast/use Aid spells/items/Ability upon the person with out it taking a shadow away.

When the caster loses a "Shadow" to message said is," A Shadow asbors the spell or damage and goes away.

^-^ Thx!

Re: Utsusemi aka Blink?

Again, this is an Absolute Effect and as such, hard to model. The best Idea I can come up with:

Summon Shadow.

Dex: As high as possible. Slavishly loyal, Damn Stupid. They only do one thing: They Dive For Cover in front of you and take the blow in your stead. This is a valid maneuver. Give them low defenses and low body (1 body, 0 def), and they will die in a single hit.

Summoning covers the 4 at a time, charges covers the items you need. They could technically be targetted, but that does not make much sense, since their dex is probably higher than yours anyway. AoE will take them out, so might sweeping or autofire against you. If you don't want them to fail their DFC roll, add some luck to reroll the dice. A 17- with two tries should be enough in most cases.

Works pretty well I think.

Oh yeah, I forgot: FFXI is a mediocre game :P

Hello! Welcome!

Well you could use Images - create a number of shadow images with the sfx that they look like you but, you know, don't look like you. Against single attacks ....doh! **Slaps forehead**

OK, what we need is desolidification:

Shadows: 90 Active points, 28 Real points

Desolidification , Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only works 4 times then needs re-casting; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

So you cast the spell and it costs you END when you cast it but not when it triggers itself and it turns you momentarily desolid when you are attacked (the sfx being that a shadow absorbs the attack, but the practical effect being you DON'T). I did not put in a limitation about AoE taking out all remaining shadows but you could if you like.

Also Ichi and Ni are Japanese for one and two, I think, then San and Shi (or something like that) with Shi also meaning death, which is why 4 is an unlucky number to the Japanese.

Sean 'Stay On Message' Waters

oic.. SE is stupied then... well maybe not.. Ichi is lvl 12 version of the spell giving you 3 shadows.. NI is the lvl 37 verson of the spell giving you 4 shadows... If you have 4 shadows and need them... i guess it's unlucky for you.. or you could see it as unlucky for the mob.

I like this idea.. hmm tho getting 90 active hmm

oic.. SE is stupied then... well maybe not.. Ichi is lvl 12 version of the spell giving you 3 shadows.. NI is the lvl 37 verson of the spell giving you 4 shadows... If you have 4 shadows and need them... i guess it's unlucky for you.. or you could see it as unlucky for the mob.

I like this idea.. hmm tho getting 90 active hmm

There's no 'right' way to do it: I'm not familiar with FF, so I don't know quite what the effect is - but that is the joy of Hero you can usually find more solutions than there are problems :)

Pf, my build was a lot cheaper :P But yours is very clean.

And yes, Ichi 一, Ni 二, San 三, Shi/Yon 四 are japanese numbers and Shi 死 means death. :P I love being a smartass. Look at my location, will you ;)

I would replace "Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only works 4 times then needs re-casting; -1/2)" with Charges: 4. Charges can be used in multiple ways. And it is completely legal to set up multiple triggered charges at the same time (see book).

I would replace "Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only works 4 times then needs re-casting; -1/2)" with Charges: 4. Charges can be used in multiple ways. And it is completely legal to set up multiple triggered charges at the same time (see book).

Whilst I'm sure you are right, I don't suppose you could give me a page reference for this - strangely attractive - piece of insanity, could you? :help:

The problem with a constant power on Charges is that it only lasts for one phase. So' date=' on say, Segment 3, you would be desolid, but on segment 4 you would not be.[/quote']

Mmm? Phases are not Segments. If a Speed 3 character activates a constant power on his Phase starting in Segment 4, it will last on a Charge until his Phase in Segment 8.

My understanding of the power from the OP was that it only protected you from individual attacks, so I was not envisaging that you even get a full segment, necessarily, just long enough to avoid the damage from a single attack. You might be able to stick on an additional limitation to reflect this. It all depends how the original power is supposed to work.

Actually, yes, I would allow a "Instant" Limitation on top of that, because it does not last a full phase, and not even a full segment (which is default for charges).

Also, the wished for quote does not exist, I mistakenly "quoted" Delayed, not Trigger. I mix those up regularily.