Flame Carved Affliction

Jkeown

:smoke:Flame-Carved Runic Affliction:smoke:

This is a set of abilities that can be applied to an NPC or very unlucky PC who either:

a) Uses Fire magics too often.

B) Annoys the God of Fire in some small way.

It gives a unique look to a creature, immediately letting PCs know what they're dealing with. These creatures are usually loners; outcasts who must try to stay out of view of "decent folk." The constant flames and brightly glowing runes slowly crawling their way across the creature's skin make hiding difficult. On rare occasions, they band together with other Runic Afflicted (there are many varieties; Essence Afflicted, Unlight Afflicted, Soul-Tossed, etc) forming bizarre communities in poor quarters, sewer systems, Megadungeons or abandoned cities.

In Caleon, the largest Flame Afflicted community is that of Bright Arkoss in the Deep Aura Megadungeon below the city of Chalasa. Over twenty of the wretched creatures live there, and rumor has it, they breed true.

A monster with Flame Affliction becomes a deadly force of nature. Application of this template to an Ogre, for example, created the vile FireBrutes of Narlong. Give it to an already-magically gifted creature (such as a DragonBone Goblin of Loosh) and you get an awesome Saturday night of scorched players and long-term memories of the Flaming Gobbo. Put this template on a "cool" animal and watch the fun. I think it would go well with a large hunting cat.

Another obvious use is to change the exact element, apply modifiers and apply it differently. Change Fire to Ice and get Deathrime Ogres and Cryo-Goblins.

You can also turn up the heat, so to speak, by changing the Flame Aura II to a killing attack.

Flame-Warded: Armor (0 PD/12 ED) (18 Active Points); Limited Power (Only Vs Fire/Heat Attacks; -1/2) Real Cost: 12

Flame Aura I: Sight Group Images 1" radius (10 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1) Real Cost: 5

Flame-Warded: Life Support (Safe in Intense Heat) Real Cost: 2

Distinctive Features: Flaming Runes Carved Into Skin (Concealable with EGO Roll) (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) Value: 15

Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect Cold/Ice (Common) Value: 10

Physical Limitation: -5 To Concealment Rolls (Frequently, Greatly Impairing) Value: 15

Options:

Flame Aura II: Energy Blast 4d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (75 Active Points) Real Cost: 75

Re: Flame Carved Affliction

That's a very good question.

Magically afflicted characters should probably rise to the top of society. The culture I portray in Caleon tends to be suspicious of "Non-College Trained" mages. A child was born some time ago to an NPC Wizard, who, against Imperial policy, practiced Enchantment while pregnant. The baby was Essence Afflicted and caused quite a stir about the rights of a child to decide its own fate. If the kid hadn't been nobility, I'm sure the controversy would have taken a different form.

Humans learn magic, their ancient oppressors, the Dharzooni, were magic. They dispise anything that comes to resemble those folks in any way.

Counterintuitive, but that is the way I play it. I have several other templates with this theme in my game, such as how Giants come to be (it's a form of Affliction), natural wizards (such as the child, above), and a certain kind of Elf that can transform over time to adjust to its environment (the Ashtar, thought to be the original stock from which Trolls sprang).

I should have made that clearer. The circus full of Afflicted seems like fun. I bet folks would stand in line to see that which they fear.

No no, that's fine. My first though would have been "prejudice."

People do, and don't do, all sorts of crazy things because of prejudice. That works fine.

Still, it seems like there might be a slightly (and perhaps just slightly) more receptive environment for the Afflicted in the criminal underworld... after all, some people don't care how you do what you do or where you come from, as long as you keep the coin flowing...

Also- are there people who suffer from multiple Afflictions?

"b) Annoys the God of Fire in some small way. " You got some nasty gods! :fear:

BTW, I'm guessing this is your own setting====is there more info on it? Like, gathered in one spot?

http://www.geocities.com/jephkay@sbcglobal.net

There is currently underway a Revision of sorts. I have new ideas that I want to throw in, like the Trade System (found in this forum), a more comprehensive spell system, and a general streamlining and standardization of the whole thing.

Also, more illustrations and an actual printed book or high quality PDF. I'm not sure how many I'm allowed to give away, but I intend to query Steve on what I'm able to do. A free book or download can still violate copyright, you know.

I'm pleased by your interest! Any ideas you have that might allow themselves to be twisted into fitting the setting would be welcome. (That goes for everyone, BTW)

http://www.geocities.com/jephkay@sbcglobal.net

There is currently underway a Revision of sorts. I have new ideas that I want to throw in, like the Trade System (found in this forum), a more comprehensive spell system, and a general streamlining and standardization of the whole thing.

Also, more illustrations and an actual printed book or high quality PDF. I'm not sure how many I'm allowed to give away, but I intend to query Steve on what I'm able to do. A free book or download can still violate copyright, you know.

I'm pleased by your interest! Any ideas you have that might allow themselves to be twisted into fitting the setting would be welcome. (That goes for everyone, BTW)

:eek: Ghod, there's a lot there! :eek:

I'll go through it all sometime when there's more time.