Flying Castles and Such

Jkeown

Ashes of Narthad: Ramshackle Palace

In Ancient Times, mighty Narthad dominated in the East of Caleon. Far from Serantia, she reigned, her great cities drifting soundlessly on the winds. In her shadow dwelled the goblins in their millions, toiling away so that Great Narthad should never perish.

Came then the Dharzooni to Caleon, and conflict with the Narthadi was aflame, deeds of arms and armor, of magics that set the world ablaze with the heat of total war. When it was done, Narthad lay in ruins, but so great was their magic that they fell not to the earth nor into the ocean but stayed aloft, adrift in the rivers of magic; the remains spreading out across the world like dim reminders of what had been.

Over time, by means of magic or flying beasts, Men and Elves and others reached the once-great towers, castles and landmasses and made them their own. The Narthadi themselves lived on in debased form, ignorant of the wonders of the previous age, but they knew to protect the shattered remnants of the home. Slowly, the savage ruin-dwellers were brought to heel or destroyed outright, and their homes made to serve new empires and new masters.

Of the Narthadi Ruins known today, the Sky Castles of the Rumallan Empire are the most visible. Leashed in like warhounds by massive chains, they await activation by the precious Runic Keys. Some silently standing watch in distant shadow-swept valleys, some drifting like stone sentinels over the cities of the Empire, ignored by the citizens, who go about their business having grown accustomed to their presence.

The largest of these is Ramshackle Palace, seeming to be no more than a broken-down castle suspended by chains over the Farkeen River as it cuts its way through the white stone of the city of Chalasa. Known to the commoners as the Aerie, in times of need it unleashed on the enemies of the city.

Its lower depths are home to Wyvern Command, who fly sorties daily, while its upper reaches are lined with cannon and ancient mana lenses that amplify and direct the arcane works of the city's Mage Guard.

Ramshackle Palace

Val Char Cost

18 Size 90

100 STR 0

15 DEX 15

28 BODY 0

8 DEF 8

3 SPD 5

0" RUN -12

0" SWIM -2

0" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 114

Cost Power

15 Narthadi Mana Engines: Flight 12", Sideways Maneuverability half velocity (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

27 Narthadi Essence Converter: Endurance Reserve (50 END, 50 REC) (55 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

10 Medium Cannon: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Increased Maximum Range (3,750"; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (180 degrees; Only on the same horizontal level; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

15 8 More Cannon: Custom Power (15 Active Points)

30 Mana Lenses: Aid All Magic, One Spell at a Time 6d6 (60 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

15 8 More Lenses: Custom Power (15 Active Points)

22 Amplifier Lens: Area Of Effect (up to 5" Radius; +1) for up to 50 Active Points of Killing Attack (50 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4)

15 8 More Amplifier Lenses: Custom Power (15 Active Points)

19 Rocket Rack: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (travels at a rate of 120" a Segment) (Extra Segment, -1/2), Limited Arc of Fire (180 Degrees; Only on the same horizontal level; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 168

Total Character Cost: 282

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Distinctive Features: Large Mobile, Floating Castle (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Reputation: Danerous Ancient Magical Construct, 14-

5 Hunted: Enemies of the Empire 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)

Disadvantage Points: 45

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 162

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Campaign Notes: It was very difficult not to spill it to my players the the Ramshackle Palace was going to fly away during one of the games. I mentioned it in most of the games, calling it the Aerie and generally getting them used to the fact that it was just what it appeared to be, a bit castle suspended on chains in the river valley. When the rebels attacked, they were told to take the runic key to a guy they couldn't find until it was too late, and he told them with his dying breath to take the key to the Aerie... "it will know what to do.

They'd seen that key before, and kinda knew how my mind works, so they easily slotted it into the control box of the Aerie. They seemed so pleased to be able to pilot a flying castle around that evening, blowing up rebel scum. It was a fitting end to an awesome story arc.

Their biggest concern seemed to be for the bridge they destroyed on the way out of the valley, as they'd crossed it dozens of times, it had become the "center" of things for them. Quite unexpected, that.

I have many "floaty" things in Caleon, but i didn't have a good explaination for them until recently. I kept it a "secret," while in reality, I just hadn't invented a reason for them. This Narthad place does a good job at putting a face to the ruins, while giving reason for Goblin Air Pirates, flying castles, big chunks of land and all the while making it look as though I planned it.