Innate Powers Archivable Mimic Pool

Wanderer

Let's assume one wants to build a Mimic VPP pool for a superhuman that can mimic any power that the character has ever met previously (a la Amazo or Super-Adaptoid). Let's also assume this character is limited to mimic innate powers only, or even just powers that are "integral" to the character: no magic spells, no technological powers, even if they are not technically Foci, only mutant powers, etc.

According to UMM, such a power should be built as:

Archivable Mimic Pool: Variable Power Pool (Mimicry Pool), 200 base + 120 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (500 Active Points); Powers May Only Be As Powerful As Targets' Powers (-1/2), Requires Successful HTH Attack Roll and Skin Contact to First Acquire A Target's Powers (-1/4), Only To Create Powers Copied From Persons Touched (-1/4).

So far, very good. My question about this build is: is it still a meaningful limitation to restrict this to mimicking Innate Powers only (no Foci), or possibly Mutant/Mutate Powers only (no Magical, Divine, Chi, or Technological SFX), if yes, how worth the Limitations ? Looking on how the other Limitations are priced, I'd very tentatively give -1/4 for Innate Only, and -1/2 for Mutant/Mutate Only, but I'm quite uncertain. Since I notice that SL missed to use that kind of Limitation in this version of the Mimic VPP, I wonder if it's still a meaningful one.

Some, although by no means all, mimics are unable to mimic Foci powers, and some also unable to copy powers that are Focus-like "external" to the character as SFX, such as magic spells, technology, martial arts, divine blessings, etc.

Also, a trivia question: has such a specific power concept (can mimic all the Innate/Mutant/Mutate powers ever encountered) ever been used to build an official 5th Ed. Champions Universe character ???

Re: Innate Powers Archivable Mimic Pool

Unfortunately, that kind of limitation is hard to work out. In my mind the "innate" powers only limitation is one of those world dependent valuation. In a standard Super Hero campaign, I'd be tempted to go around a -1 (give or take), but I could see it sliding greatly depending on what origins/SFX/power source are or are not allowed in the setting and how common they are. If you are doing a campaign where all super powers are mutant powers, it could be as low as a -1/4. A campaign mainly made up of spells, MAs, etc, than it could by as high as a -2.

Since I notice that SL missed to use that kind of Limitation in this version of the Mimic VPP' date=' I wonder if it's still a meaningful one. [/quote']

It is a meaningful one, though it will be priced according to if it were the only lim (i.e., if 1/2 of all powers at the power level your campaign should be concerned with are within the 'innate' powers category that you can copy, that is at most a -1 limitation. Arguably less, at GM discretion. After all, the mimic doesn't have as much need to copy the gun (RKA w/ focus) if he already copied the fire blast (RKA innate).) but it will benefit you much less (you'll pay 1/3 of the control cost if you add a -1 lim to the -1 that's already there, rather than the 1/2 you were going to pay without that lim). That's still a saving of 100 points though! (Assuming it comes out to -1)

Unfortunately, that kind of limitation is hard to work out. In my mind the "innate" powers only limitation is one of those world dependent valuation. In a standard Super Hero campaign, I'd be tempted to go around a -1 (give or take), but I could see it sliding greatly depending on what origins/SFX/power source are or are not allowed in the setting and how common they are. If you are doing a campaign where all super powers are mutant powers, it could be as low as a -1/4. A campaign mainly made up of spells, MAs, etc, than it could by as high as a -2.

Exactly so. The GM needs to think about how many super powered individuals are going to be running around with innate powers that qualify versus magic, technology, and over the top super kung fu (most or all of which can't be copied). Then factor in the overlap between powers you could copy with that lim and powers you could not. It is somewhat limiting on your power that you can't copy the focus limitation to save yourself some RP when allocating powers, but not nearly as bad as if whole categories of powers were just never available to you. (If mental powers are always 'magic' in your campaign, never mutant powers, that should factor into pricing.)

After all of that, the final answer is to check the chart for Limited Power and see how limiting it is as a percentage of the usefulness of the power. So something that takes away half the usefulness is a -1, etc.

Oh, and when figuring this all out, your GM should probably factor in that you can immediately go around and permanently copy any qualifying powers from your own team. If you add this character to a balanced and diverse team of supers using all innate powers, suddenly you have a backup user of all the powers in your team! That should already be a versatile and effective character, even if none of your enemies have any qualifying powers.

Exactly so. The GM needs to think about how many super powered individuals are going to be running around with innate powers that qualify versus magic' date=' technology, and over the top super kung fu (most or all of which can't be copied). Then factor in the overlap between powers you could copy with that lim and powers you could not. It is somewhat limiting on your power that you can't copy the focus limitation to save yourself some RP when allocating powers, but not nearly as bad as if whole categories of powers were just never available to you. (If mental powers are always 'magic' in your campaign, never mutant powers, that should factor into pricing.)[/quote']

Of course, there are other bizzarre things to consider. Forge of the X-Men series has the mutant power to "invent" things. Could the Mimic "copy" this power, and since the gadgets Forge builds is an expression of his mutant powers on the character sheet. Could the mimic pool be used to create them? What about Taskmaster's photographic reflexes (yeah, mimic a mimic recursive power loop)? Could one mimic Karate Kid's natural affinity for the Martial Arts and than go and train using that affinity to make the process easier? Dr. Strange's mystical potential?

Hmmm, yeah, very much campaign dependent, and now I'm leaning for smaller limitation rather than larger.

Viktor of Enforcers Inc is such a character.

POWERS & SPECIAL EFFECTS

Viktor has the ability to sense and analyze innate super powers, and to also copy them if their Active Points are within his range (will fit into his VPP). He can change out any Power he currently detects that is within his range, or that he has copied in the past and remembers with a successful Power Skill roll.

The GM is free to put any Power Construct they like in the VPP if they feel it is reasonable that Viktor has encountered someone with that Power Construct previously. Viktor cannot detect or copy Powers that stem from Magic, Technology, or natural Alien physiology, but he can copy any mutant, mutate, altered human, psionic, psychic, chi-based, or similar unusual power that is not "normal" for a particular person. If the GM allows he can also copy superhuman characteristics above Characteristics Maxima as if they were Powers, but only in the amount that they exceed his current level in that Characteristic. For example if he encountered a Speedster with an 8 SPD he could "Copy" +2 SPD from them as 8 SPD is four more than NCM, but Viktor already has a 6 SPD.

In addition to this innate Power, Viktor can also incorporate Powers that he has copied into himself if he choses to spend the time to "master" the ability; however this requires Experience Points. Viktor has mastered many useful abilities over the years, and has greatly enhanced physical capabilities in addition to several useful general purpose Powers.

Viktor should be able to tie up a party of four or five 350 point heroes handily. If Viktor is too powerful for your campaign, water down his Mastered Advanced Powers, tone down his Mastered Utility Powers Multipower, reduce the size of his VPP, and drop some Overall Levels. If Viktor is not powerful enough do the reverse and / or add more Mastered Powers. Also, GM's should feel free to change Viktor's list of Mastered Powers to better suit their needs.

IMHO when balancing limitation points, keep an eye towards how much the limitation affects the power as a whole. I'll try to explain what I mean.

If half the powers in the campaign are magic, technology, or otherwise not inborn, this appears to reduce the effectiveness of the power by half, which is a -1 limitation. But what kinds of powers is that really keeping the character from? Sure he may not be able to duplicate a Wizard's fire blast spell, but has the character already come across the Human Torch? I think the actual number of powers this will keep the character from learning is much lower than 1/2 and probably closer to like 1/5 over the course of the campaign. As such I would give this limitation a -1/4 value. YMMV of course.