anti-Hummingbird gadget

Nerdnumber1

EDIT: Please note that this thread has shifted from a "how to build", into a general "help me combat a hummingbird stalker/wife" thread. Though any gadget ideas are still welcome and needed.

/edit

My character has found himself in the unfortunate possition of being stalked by Hummingbird, the shrinking mentalist of GRAB. Now, because of a long, humiliatingly humorous story, I want to get make something to stop a mentalist that has added tons of mind control dice with the limitation that it only works on me (FYI, my DM is not opposed to using 20d6 ebs and enemies that could eat grond on our 230+150disad group).

My Idea:

A small mental damage shield gadget (borrowed from our team gadgeteer's 60 point pool) bought with 'does knockback' in addition to possibly increased mental defense. Though any mentalist worth their salt could ignore any damage bought on such a budget, hummingbird's small size and flight would make even a single die capable of sending her into a wall. The only thing I'm debating is

1. What mental power should I use for best cost efficiency and possible effect.
  2. How can I keep the damage shield working at all times she may strike.
  3. How do I do all this with price efficiency in mind as I don't want to drain too many points from my teammate's gadget pool

Any ideas?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: anti-Hummingbird gadget

My character has found himself in the unfortunate possition of being stalked by Hummingbird' date=' the shrinking mentalist of GRAB. Now, because of a long, humiliatingly humorous story, I want to get make something to stop a mentalist that has added tons of mind control dice with the limitation that it only works on me (FYI, my DM is not opposed to using 20d6 ebs and enemies that could eat grond on our 230+150disad group). [/quote']

Sounds like a wonderful Player vs GM game going on here.

My Idea:

A small mental damage shield gadget (borrowed from our team gadgeteer's 60 point pool) bought with 'does knockback' in addition to possibly increased mental defense. Though any mentalist worth their salt could ignore any damage bought on such a budget, hummingbird's small size and flight would make even a single die capable of sending her into a wall.

May as well make it Double Knockback...

The only thing I'm debating is

1. What mental power should I use for best cost efficiency and possible effect.

It should be a 5 point per die mental power (there aren't any 3/die mental powers). That's Mind Control, Mental Illusions or Telepathy. Mind Control needs a spoken attack, so let's make it Mental Illusions.

How can I keep the damage shield working at all times she may strike.

"Always On". That means the shield needs to be 0 END and Persistent. Adding Does Knockback (+1/2) and Double Knockback (+3/4) makes it 3 1/2d6 Mental Illusions, with an average of 3.5 BOD, doubled is 7".

How do I do all this with price efficiency in mind as I don't want to drain too many points from my teammate's gadget pool

Any ideas?

Limitations, limitations, limitations. First off, the actual illusions will never work anyway, so make them Only one Illusion (say, that your character has vanished).

Since she can have "only vs you", this may as well be "only vs Hummingbird".

It will already be an inobvious (I assume) focus. Why not put some Extra Time (only to activate) on it? Then you can add Gestures and Concentration while you put it on. Once it's active, you won't shut it down until Hummingbird's dealt with anyway.

The repetivitive Spy vs Spy competition gets boring after a while. As written in the book, Hummingbird isn't the type to hunt heroes either. This rivalry is obviously a facade to mask the sexual tension between you and she, so if you can't beat her, ask her out. And if you want to do it with points, buy 60 points of COM (only usable against Hummingbird -2)- this will cost you 10 real points. She has a weakness to chemicals, so your special effects can be tailored pheromones.

After that, ask her if she wants to join the hero team. If she says no, offer to join GRAB and become a villain. If that splits up the party, let the GM worry about that. You just worry about properly role-playing being smitten with the lass. :D

When the other PCs give you grief, tell them you're infiltrating GRAB. Then to prove your loyalty, kill Chesire Cat. When Hummingbird asks you "why?", tell him you suspected that he might be planning to make moves on "your gal". If any of the other members of GRAB give you grief, tell them that Hummingbird mind-controlled you to do it. Then look around nervously, say that you suspect that she might be turing all the members against one another, then twitch your head and look glazy eyed and try to give them impression that you're being mind controlled again... Then do something crazy.

Seriously, I like GRAB. The problem I have with them is that they're not really bad. They're like a frat house with powers.

As for your knockback power, look at using ther trigger advantage, with the trigger being the attempted use of mind control against you (you might have to buy Mental Awareness as a sense, limited to only Hummingbord's mental powers).

Invisibility to Sight Group, No Fringe, Reduced END (0 END), Persistent, OIF (Gadget)

Hummingbirds only targeting sense is her Normal Sight. She can't Mind Control or Ego attack what she can't see. If you are worried the GM may have buffed her even more or will have her take random shots in the dark... add senses like Mental Group, Hearing Group and/or Radio Group.

Sounds like a wonderful Player vs GM game going on here.

We succeed, but he never makes it easy anymore. Some of our early battles have put him on the defensive. My brick once jumped into the center of almost the entire Zodiac Conspiracy and it took almost a turn for the half dozen attacking me to knock me down... for one phase. I'm just saying that pumping my mental defense and ego won't be enough (5mental defense, 18 ego, and we have a team vehicle that grant +20mental defence to passengers).

May as well make it Double Knockback...

I will if GM allows it, but that might be a little high (if it doubles the kb for shrinking, it may be near-fatal and if it doesn't, then why bother arguing for a couple more inches?)

It should be a 5 point per die mental power (there aren't any 3/die mental powers). That's Mind Control, Mental Illusions or Telepathy. Mind Control needs a spoken attack, so let's make it Mental Illusions.

One idea I had was a no-attacking mind scan to find Hummingbird or telepathy so I can talk her down.

Another cost cutting option would be a flash for a non-targeting sense with use-ecv. It requires a +1 advantage, but with a base cost of 3, it should be less expensive in the longrun

"Always On". That means the shield needs to be 0 END and Persistent. Adding Does Knockback (+1/2) and Double Knockback (+3/4) makes it 3 1/2d6 Mental Illusions, with an average of 3.5 BOD, doubled is 7".

Always on doesn't seem to fit a gadget I can take off at will, especially with any x-time, gesture, etc. limitations for activation. Also, damage shield is a must.

Limitations, limitations, limitations. First off, the actual illusions will never work anyway, so make them Only one Illusion (say, that your character has vanished).

Since she can have "only vs you", this may as well be "only vs Hummingbird".

It will already be an inobvious (I assume) focus. Why not put some Extra Time (only to activate) on it? Then you can add Gestures and Concentration while you put it on. Once it's active, you won't shut it down until Hummingbird's dealt with anyway.

The activation requirements seem to miss the mark. Hummingbird is an inch tall, completely obsessed and knows where my current base/home is. I'm guessing she isn't going to call before dropping by. Ideally, I want to have this work in my sleep (persistant which I believe isn't compatable with 'only to activate' limitations).

The repetivitive Spy vs Spy competition gets boring after a while. As written in the book, Hummingbird isn't the type to hunt heroes either. This rivalry is obviously a facade to mask the sexual tension between you and she, so if you can't beat her, ask her out. And if you want to do it with points, buy 60 points of COM (only usable against Hummingbird -2)- this will cost you 10 real points. She has a weakness to chemicals, so your special effects can be tailored pheromones.

After that, ask her if she wants to join the hero team. If she says no, offer to join GRAB and become a villain. If that splits up the party, let the GM worry about that. You just worry about properly role-playing being smitten with the lass. :D

When the other PCs give you grief, tell them you're infiltrating GRAB. Then to prove your loyalty, kill Chesire Cat. When Hummingbird asks you "why?", tell him you suspected that he might be planning to make moves on "your gal". If any of the other members of GRAB give you grief, tell them that Hummingbird mind-controlled you to do it. Then look around nervously, say that you suspect that she might be turing all the members against one another, then twitch your head and look glazy eyed and try to give them impression that you're being mind controlled again... Then do something crazy.

Seriously, I like GRAB. The problem I have with them is that they're not really bad. They're like a frat house with powers.

Sorry, I didn't descibe the situation clearly enough. Interface sent fake emails in my name to get Hummingbird to fall in love with me (standard metal brick). Seeing her as another victim, I tried to explain the situation. She blasted me with a mental attack that did over 50 damage (GM gave her a new attack). She tried to make up by email, and I again explained the situation as nicely as possible. She sent a sad reply, apparently giving up...

Then SSN said that three highschool teachers claimed to be married to me, one student claimed to be pregnant with my child, another said I was emotionally abusive (didn't take her shoping), and all 13,000 high school girls at a catholic school (ranging in age from 13 to 18) were impregnated by me. All the girls gave eye-witness testimony and the school nurse confirmed the test. Quick investigation found that the nurse's mind had been altered using mental powers. Searching through my email I found an extortion letter from Hummingbird. She wanted five dates in exchange for cleaning up the mass mind controls she placed. After giving the entire "I can't risk endanging anyone else because I have enemies that would target someone who can't survive jumping out of a mile-high air plane instead of me" excuse she gave an ultimatum on the offer. I requested a face-to-face meeting...

She told me to turn around. I told her that Interface was to blame, and that if she didn't believe me, to use her powers to make me tell the truth. The GM took this as a full, near unbreakable mind-controled blank check. (I had been planning this for a while, but it always involved me staying in a room locked from the outside.) I woke up in a tacky Vegas apartment with a copy of the marrige contract, a questionite ring that can't be removed, and a note about how she loved the first date. My teammates just thought it was funny. It was my birthday too :(

I have yet to attack her because I have seen her as a victim that would respond to reason. Now, however, she has worn away the last shread of patience I had. She is not going to have free reign anymore (maybe a metal fist will cool her down). If I find Interface, I might just lose my code vs. killing.

Is this a case of the character not liking the situation or the player? Because if your GM is running a subplot that you're not liking out of game, you might want to let him know.

I can tell you this: if the GM is railroading you, he will win. He doesn't have any point limits.

50 points with a mental attack... that's like a 14d6 EGO blast; 140 active points... Maybe your GM needs to read the rules and familiarise himself with game balance.

13,000 pregnancies? If you generously assume 1 minute per act of impregnation and include the travel time between young ladies in that minute, it still takes a little over 9 days of continuous activity... If that's what the public believes, you're not a standard metal brick. More like an automatic... :D

On top of that, given that you are a brick, there would probably be some BODY damage. You might want to get a lawyer in game and point out these blatantly obvious facts.

It sounds to me like the GM is being something of a power-tripper. I don't think anyone would think any less of you if you dropped out of the game if being accused of mass serial statuatory rape is not really your thing.

Is this a case of the character not liking the situation or the player? Because if your GM is running a subplot that you're not liking out of game, you might want to let him know.

I can tell you this: if the GM is railroading you, he will win. He doesn't have any point limits.

50 points with a mental attack... that's like a 14d6 EGO blast; 140 active points... Maybe your GM needs to read the rules and familiarise himself with game balance.

I am not crazy about this subplot, but the game is good in general. I'll live.

As to railroading, he was planing a fight, but I foolishly let the stalker-mentalist into my mind. He always gives us a challenge, both in and out of combat, but it isn't impossible to win.

The mental attack was a one shot that did body and drained/locked out her shrinking so afterwards she was a pushover for my teammate. She probably haymakered and/or pushed. As a brick, I barely lost half my stun after defense. I got knocked out later in the combat by a continuous ap attack that I had a x2vulnerability to.

13,000 pregnancies. In one night?

If that's what the public believes, you're not a standard metal brick. More like an automatic

Who said it was one night?

Who said it was one night?

So the girls who got attacked in the first night graciously waited before reporting it? All of them? Every single one? That's not suspicious. (I'd insert a smiley here to reflect my tone, but I don't want to appear as if I'm making light of the subject of mass serial stutatory rape).

Seriously, what kind of a timeline are we looking at here?

So the girls who got attacked in the first night graciously waited before reporting it? That's not suspicious.

What kind of a timeline are we looking at here?

They never said it was an attack and only came foreward, en-mass when the pregnacies were discovered. However, none of it happened. Hummingbird mind-controled all of them and it is hard to disprove over a thousand eye-witnesses. Even without any proof or plausibility, the media won't shut up.

They never said it was an attack and only came foreward' date=' en-mass when the pregnacies were discovered. However, none of it happened. Hummingbird mind-controled all of them and it is hard to disprove over a thousand eye-witnesses. Even without any proof or plausibility, the media won't shut up.[/quote']

Over a thousand. None of whom are actually pregnant. None of whom rolled a 3 on a breakout roll (1 in 216 chance, that). It seems a very ill thought out frameup.

They never said it was an attack and only came foreward' date=' en-mass when the pregnacies were discovered. However, none of it happened. Hummingbird mind-controled all of them and it is hard to disprove over a thousand eye-witnesses. Even without any proof or plausibility, the media won't shut up.[/quote']

Not an attack? What did they say it was? Twue Wuv? (Again the smiley, but with no intent of making light of sexual assault of any kind)

(I hope you're not readng this as an attack against you- It is an attack against your GM. Please read it as such.)

Don't even get me started on the time required to make all these mind control rolls, the range issues, the Line of Sight requirements, the END expenditure, the fact that her Mind control is verbal and only usable when shrunk, and that the range of her voice is reduced by her tininess.

Cripes, with that many points to spend, why doesn't she do something else like kill off Takofanes for good this time, or take over VIPER.

This is like trying to explain how Santa Claus visits the homes of all the good little boys and girls on one night.

Over a thousand. None of whom are actually pregnant. None of whom rolled a 3 on a breakout roll (1 in 216 chance' date=' that). It seems a very ill thought out frameup.[/quote']

Mindcontrols can be re-applied. And any breakouts will have to deny previous statements and their pregnancy test (the nurse was mind controled). And even one, possible under-aged pregnancy would be enough to cause me problems. The current cases would have been disproved eventually, but proving that she had the power and obsession to pull this off definately attracted my attention. She isn't a master-mind by any stretch, but the press still had a field day.

Not an attack? What did they say it was? Twue Wuv? (Again the smiley, but with no intent of making light of sexual assault of any kind)

(I hope you're not readng this as an attack against you- It is an attack against your GM. Please read it as such.)

Don't even get me started on the time required to make all these mind control rolls, the range issues, the Line of Sight requirements, the END expenditure, the fact that her Mind control is verbal and only usable when shrunk, and that the range of her voice is reduced by her tininess.

Cripes, with that many points to spend, why doesn't she do something else like kill off Takofanes for good this time, or take over VIPER.

This is like trying to explain how Santa Claus visits the homes of all the good little boys and girls on one night.

She had several weeks and apparently an obsession. It may have been 1300, not 13000. The GM might have stretched things, but has upped our enemies' power by a large mangine (We beat up grond, Chronos, and Ogre at the same time!)

The News was vague.

Mindcontrols can be re-applied. And any breakouts will have to deny previous statements and their pregnancy test (the nurse was mind controled). And even one' date=' possible under-aged pregnancy would be enough to cause me problems. The current cases would have been disproved eventually, but proving that she had the power and obsession to pull this off definately attracted my attention. She isn't a master-mind by any stretch, but the press still had a field day.[/quote']

If that is the case, when does Hummingbird have time to sleep? Or eat? Or bathe? Or shop? Her psych limitations suggest that she has some serious attention definciency issues: now the GM says she is personally running this plot that requires weeks of non-stop, continuous, 24 hrs by 7 days a week effort? The effort required to maintain that level of control over that size a group is beyond the means of a single metahuman.

Hey Maybe she's a Cylon and has thousands of lookalike clones all dedicated to making your life hell since they all have nothing to do after having found Earth. :D

I can dig the impossible in a supers game, but the improbable is harder to swallow.

For the record, Nerdnumber1, I know it may look like we're having an argument, but I'm actually arguing in your favour against your GM. Having said that, it's clear that you enjoy the game that you find yourself in, and seem to enjoy the challenge of matching wits against this storyline. While I would be poking holes in the storyline as is if it were presented to me, if you are enjoying it, please don't let my criticisms detract from your enjoyment of the game. Just make sure you get the experience points you deserve when this is all over. :D

If that is the case, when does Hummingbird have time to sleep? Or eat? Or bathe? Or shop? Her psych limitations suggest that she has some serious attention definciency issues: now the GM says she is personally running this plot that requires weeks of non-stop, continuous, 24 hrs by 7 days a week effort? The effort required to maintain that level of control over that size a group is beyond the means of a single metahuman.

Hey Maybe she's a Cylon and has thousands of lookalike clones all dedicated to making your life hell since they all have nothing to do after having found Earth. :D

I can dig the impossible in a supers game, but the improbable is harder to swallow.

Logical, she isn't. Interface must have been good, because 10com/10pre isn't that great, even if she likes 65str bricks. It could be a GM conspiracy, or he doesn't know the character.

For the record' date=' Nerdnumber1, I know it may look like we're having an argument, but I'm actually arguing in your favour against your GM. Having said that, it's clear that you enjoy the game that you find yourself in, and seem to enjoy the challenge of matching wits against this storyline. While I would be poking holes in the storyline as is if it were presented to me, if you are enjoying it, please don't let my criticisms detract from your enjoyment of the game. Just make sure you get the experience points you deserve when this is all over. :D[/quote']

Many of the players have similar side plots, but they have more likeable, more fitting romantic entanglements.

Many of the players have similar side plots' date=' but they have more likeable, more fitting romantic entanglements.[/quote']

I have a suspicion that your GM just got a nasty case of tunnel vision as his plot snowballed on him. Perhaps the arguments presented in this thread will give him some perspective.

As I said before, maybe just going with the flow and dating Hummingbird for a while is the way to go. Odds are she'll end it when she finds some new obsession to obsess over and everyone will win, except her new target, buit that is another subplot.

Though if you were going to go the power route, telekinesis as a mental damage shield is the best point-per-point expenditure against a shrinking character... since a) more damage per point spent and B) none of this 'might' knock her into a wall. She'll go where the tK aims her.

I have a suspicion that your GM just got a nasty case of tunnel vision as his plot snowballed on him. Perhaps the arguments presented in this thread will give him some perspective.

As I said before, maybe just going with the flow and dating Hummingbird for a while is the way to go. Odds are she'll end it when she finds some new obsession to obsess over and everyone will win, except her new target, buit that is another subplot.

He has tunnel vision in each session. Last week was just my turn (I've actually gotten the least subplot).

I don't think that'll happen and mind controler's annoy the **** out of me. I'm no actor and I really don't like her.

Just a quick buzz-kill on the Knockback front.

In the 5ER, pg. 218:

"This Knockback modifier only increases the total distance traveled when the character suffers Knockback; it doesn’t increase the damage he takes from Knockback."

As cool as sending an annoying villain into the next county is (and it is...) she wouldn't take any extra damage from it.

As far as the plotline goes, I agree that if it's just the character being annoyed run with it and have fun, but if as a player you're not having fun you should talk to the GM.

If you go in against a GM in a power duel, you will lose.

Just a quick buzz-kill on the Knockback front.

In the 5ER, pg. 218:

"This Knockback modifier only increases the total distance traveled when the character suffers Knockback; it doesn’t increase the damage he takes from Knockback."

As cool as sending an annoying villain into the next county is (and it is...) she wouldn't take any extra damage from it.

As far as the plotline goes, I agree that if it's just the character being annoyed run with it and have fun, but if as a player you're not having fun you should talk to the GM.

If you go in against a GM in a power duel, you will lose.

Ok, back to mental defense. I just wanted a more pre-emptive tactic. Anyone know any other power that would persuade one against a mental attack?

The general anti-mentalist powers, in approximate descending order of effect and efficiency:

Follower with Mind Link and Mental Powers only usable over Mind Link (a pet with a mystic origin is popular), who steps in from afar and breaks the Mind Control for you.

Danger Sense enough to know the source of the attack beforehand

Invisibility

Your own Mental Powers with extreme limitations (used to break out of Mind Control)

Mental Defense

Teleport

ECV Levels

EGO

CON

Somewhere way down below just about everything else is a power with a mental damage shield.

The general anti-mentalist powers, in approximate descending order of effect and efficiency:

Follower with Mind Link and Mental Powers only usable over Mind Link (a pet with a mystic origin is popular), who steps in from afar and breaks the Mind Control for you.

Danger Sense enough to know the source of the attack beforehand

Invisibility

Your own Mental Powers with extreme limitations (used to break out of Mind Control)

Mental Defense

Teleport

ECV Levels

EGO

CON

Somewhere way down below just about everything else is a power with a mental damage shield.

Given that her Mind Control is not telepathic, if you can prevent her from speaking, or from having her voice reach you, that might be a tactic as well. I leave it to you to decide whether pulling out her vocal cords is permissible with your CAK. :D