Norse/Germanic Mythology

Ragnarok

Hello everyone. The purpose of this post is to request your aid in helping me develop a broad pool of Norse/Germanic mythological creatures/locations/themes to choose from for my Norse campaign in the Spring. I know a fair amount about these things, but in order to foster a more diverse and well-rounded gaming experience I would like you to contribute some of your knowledge and input on these things.

Basically, I would appreciate if you came up with a few examples from three categories of Norse/Germanic mythology: Creatures, Locations, and Themes or Elements.

Here are some of the ones I already have in mind:

Creatures:

Alfar (Elves)

Dvergar (Dwarves)

Trolls

Giants

Dragons

Draugr

Sea Serpents

Locations:

Fjords

Mountains

Underground (Caves, Underground lakes, etc)

Themes:

Seemingly invincible heroes or monsters with a specific weakness

Strange creation myths (Dvergar being created from the maggots of Ymir's corpse)

Thank you for your help!

Re: Norse/Germanic Mythology

Nibelung. "The People of Mist and Shadows". Immortal Wraith-beings who guard an immense treasure and curse those who steal from it with disaster. What they do in their spare time is another question.

Valkyries. Winged warrior-maidens who carry the souls of the heroic dead to Valhalla.

Mechanical animals such as Gullinbursti; the boar with bristles of gold.

You might also want to consider the fact that there are conflicting versions of Trolls in Danish folklore. In some stories they are humanoid and act like mischievous fairies rather than hulking monsters. Another interesting aspect of early Norse Mythology is that creatures such as Dwarves, Trolls and Elves were all apparently associated with the spirits of the dead and may in fact have been reborn or revenant human souls. The Dvergar being born from grave maggots is one example of this kind of link.

Themes

Different worlds for different types of creature and different primordial elements.

The inevitability of fate.

Importance of death in battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Norse/Germanic Mythology

Admitably I not an expert, though norwegian skoles put you through everything Norse three times (bloody " Repetition"). These are the things I could find that seemed to fit a heroic campaign. Note that I make no guaranty of truth or accuracy.

Troll: in the case of Norse myth this is NOT the ugly things with clubs, but a race/group of races (like goblinoid). Most of the troll (the o pronounced as in moth) live underground or deep within forests. Only the big ones turn to stone by sunlight.

Stor Troll (literally big troll): The original myth that became (with Disney’s help) what people think of as trolls. Ugly things with clubs.

Jotun: a traditional giant/troll; big (8 meters tall or more), scary, mean and selfish. Most live in another world, thankfully, though they sometimes visit.

Huldra: Beautiful female trolls that try to lure unsuspecting male with them into the forest/cave, where the male is either enslaved or eaten (stories vary). Check for cow-like tails under women’s dresses to be sure they're not Huldras.

Hulder: Male trolls that live with Huldra. Uglier, with potato like noses and sharp teeth. Human sized and decant fighters. Normally only found underground.

Tomte or Nisse or Gardvorden (literally farm guard): small garden gnome like spirits that live on farms, and protect it from anything bad. Sometimes they befriend humans, but the normal thing is just to occasionally catch a fleeting glimpse of them.

Tusser: a form of Nisse (gnome) that lives in forests in great clans. May grow to a full half foot in height. Generally friendly and completely clueless. Has a habit of asking people why they do things (walk, shout, ignore Tusser, eat, ect.). Comic relief.

Draug, Draugr or Dauing (literally deadling or one of the dead): ghost, simply. Mostly used for the ghosts of sailors, though it can refer to all kinds.

Nøkken or Nykken (if you can't pronounce Ø): Shape shifting monster that lives in lakes and rivers. Wants to trick you into the water and then drown you. Common forms for trickery: White horse, white polar bear, lady in white. Natural form as seen from the surface: A small green island may have huge glowing eyes. Some have tentacles.

Hope this helps.