Artillery!!!

SuperPheemy

I've been trying to figure out how large of a "footprint" various siege engines, cannon, and ancient artillery has. Alas, my search through the Internet has proven futile (oh ALAS.. alas... (weep)).

So I turn once again to Assembled HEROdom to point me in the direction of raw data which I can crunch into game useable numbers.

How much room is needed for the following Engines of War

1. Age of Sail 32 and 18 pound Cannon

2. Trebuchet

3. Catapults and Onagers

4. Ballistas

Many thanks... HEROes!

Re: Artillery!!!

I've been trying to figure out how large of a "footprint" various siege engines, cannon, and ancient artillery has. Alas, my search through the Internet has proven futile (oh ALAS.. alas... (weep)).

So I turn once again to Assembled HEROdom to point me in the direction of raw data which I can crunch into game useable numbers.

How much room is needed for the following Engines of War

1. Age of Sail 32 and 18 pound Cannon

2. Trebuchet

3. Catapults and Onagers

4. Ballistas

Many thanks... HEROes!

A 32 pounder's a biggie - around 4-5 metres (3 hexes) long and 1 and half (say one hex) wide on a wheeled carriage and some could be longer (carronades of course were shorter). 18 pounders are about 30% smaller.

Here's a useful size guide: http://home.att.net/~ShipmodelFAQ/smf-q037a_T.gif

Edit: those are shipboard guns - siege guns were expected to be in use more intensively and weight isn't as much of an issue: as a result they tend to be slightly longer and significantly heavier.

Trebuchets come in various sizes. The biggest one I have used (This one)

Trebuchet.jpg

has a footprint when assembled of about 10 metres by 4, with a 3 metre danger zone at the front and a 5 meter danger zone at the back, when in operation.

Catapults and onagers are much smaller - 3-5 metres long and about 2/3rds that width (though they might get bigger: I don't really know). They also have a danger zone to the sides and rear of a bout a metre when fired because they bounce around a surprising amount (and can raise a surprising amount of dust when fired on dry ground)

Balistae are smaller again - less than 2 metres long and about the same wide if you count the arms. I've never seen one being fired, so don't know what - if anything - the recoil is like.

cheers, Mark

Re: Artillery!!!

This is a quick answer.

Ballistas can range from the size of a large crossbow to 2 ton monsters like the one on ebay.

(http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=152467)

right after the roman empire the Byzantines developed a giant bow that did the job of the ballista but was easier to produce and keep it had a bow of 8 feet and a draw of 6 and shot large bolts.

The same is true with each of these weapons the trebuchet could be a 12 ft arm powered by 4 men pulling ropes to a 40 foot arm that threw a 300 pound stone. And if you put wheels on it, it travels in place which extents the range. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwolf,

This is a great site. http://www.trebuchet.com/

The cannon are a different problem. Early they are bigger and get smaller every 50 years or so. In use they usually recoil their length or about. So an early one that is an 18 lb. And is 12 foot long would recoil 12 feet I can get more info but I will nee to dig out a book.

Hope this helps

Lord Ghee