Crazy defenses/attack calculation

RPMiller

Question

To continue the defenses question what about a scenario where you have someone with various defenses that give them 5 PD, 4 PD hardened, 6 rPD hardened, and 4 rPD x2 hardened. Then you have an attack that is 15 body, 45 stun, AP x1, Penetrating x1, killing, or maybe normal, versus PD. So, what defenses are cut in half and where does the penetrating get through

I fully understand that this is an outrageous example and would never be found in a game, but it is a serious question nonetheless as I am working on algorithms that will eventually become code that will have to deal with anything you throw at it so having a concrete answer for this is actually important, at least to me and a handful of others.

Basically what I'm asking is what would you do if you had to deal with this scenario, pretending for just a moment that you were insane enough to allow this to happen because I'm betting there are some power gamers out there that would actually let this happen.

1 answer to this question

Re: Crazy defenses/attack calculation

This is a matter of straightforward application of the rules. The only issue is what the target has defined his Hardened as working against in the case of an attack with multiple Hardened-affected Advantages. For purposes of this answer I am assuming he’s chose Penetrating, with AP second in the case of x2 Hardened powers. The answer will change if that changes, but I’m not going to take the time to go through all the iterations. Furthermore, since you didn’t break it down in terms of what each d6 rolled I can’t judge the effects of Penetrating; figure that out yourself if you’re so inclined. ;)

NORMAL ATTACK: 45 STUN, 15 BODY, AP, Penetrating, versus PD

5 nPD, ordinary, is halved to 3 PD

4 nPD, Hardened, stops Penetrating but not AP, so is halved to 2 PD

6 rPD, Hardened, stops Penetrating but not AP, so is halved to 3 PD

4 rPD, Hardened x2, stops both Penetrating and AP, and so remains at 4 PD

So, the target has a total of 12 PD, and thus takes 33 STUN, 3 BODY

KILLING ATTACK: 45 STUN, 15 BODY, AP, Penetrating, versus PD

5 nPD, ordinary, is halved to 3 PD and applies only against STUN

4 nPD, Hardened, stops Penetrating but not AP, so is halved to 2 PD and applies only against STUN

6 rPD, Hardened, stops Penetrating but not AP, so is halved to 3 PD but applies against both BODY and STUN

4 rPD, Hardened x2, stops both Penetrating and AP, and so remains at 4 PD but applies against both BODY and STUN

So, the target takes 33 STUN, 8 BODY