What if Dr. Destroyer....

mwiggins

Re: What if Dr. Destroyer....

I seem to remember hearing about a marvel comics story where Doctor Doom actually succeeded in taking over the world. He found out however that actually ruling the planet wasn't near as much as taking it over. He ended actually finding that managing the world was alot of boring work.

I see him the world conquest game solely for ego gratification. As a ruler, I picture this guy, turned up to 11, with superscience. You can't swing a cat without hitting a giant gold statue. (Hitting such a statue with a cat is, of course, punishable by death) Sure, the hungry will be fed and diseases will be cured (assuming this doesn't cut to deep into the giant gold statue and deathbot budgets), but first and formost as a way to demonstrate the genius and munificence of Destroyer. Every TV channel will be more than happy to tell you about it, as will Destroyer himself on the holographic talking labels of the food and vaccine packages. He wouldn't encourage cults, since such religious nonsense is foolish and unscientific, but if the weak-minded find some comfort in worshiping him, who is he to object?

In most places, the old rulers are still in place, with obedience enforced by brainwashing, hostages, cortex bombs, or what have you. Ex-VIPER troopers, War Machine deserters, and assorted opportunists and collaborators garrison the major cities, backed by the afformentioned deathbots. The fanatic core of his troops guard vital installations and sereve as a strike force against rebellions.

If he can't figure out a way around the aging thing, I see him eventually going the way of the Emperor in Warhammer 40K, kept just barely technically alive by massive machines as his minions work to conquor the universe in his name.

If he can't figure out a way around the aging thing' date=' I see him eventually going the way of the Emperor in Warhammer 40K, kept just barely technically alive by massive machines as his minions work to conquor the universe in his name.[/quote']

Maybe Dr. D is the REAL origin story of the Emperor!! :eek:

Think Nazi Germany as it actually was; bright and shiny on the surface for the well connected, hell for the un-connected and scapegoats. Even more interesting; Destroyer has no coherent ideology, and the strongest of scientific backgrounds. There's a fair chance that his elites would actually be genetically gifted compared to the rest of the populace.

Actually, the lack of an ideology that would actually inspire loyalty is one of Destroyer's weak spots. He works as a comic book villain, but if I used him in my campaigns I'd probably either give him an ideology or have his lack of beliefs past "I Rule All" cause his henchmen to betray him in large and small ways.

Actually lack of ideology works fine for a fascist type villain, the fascists changed their ideology like their socks (although the Nazis less so). Use this, have the Doc make some statement early on that makes some PC (and maybe some player) consider that he might be on to something, however briefly. Then have them overhear/find a recording of/see a public announcement of him saying the exact opposite. For extra points, have much of the population buy it, forgetting everything he said before.

Actually lack of ideology works fine for a fascist type villain' date=' the fascists changed their ideology like their socks (although the Nazis less so). Use this, have the Doc make some statement early on that makes some PC (and maybe some player) consider that he might be on to something, however briefly. Then have them overhear/find a recording of/see a public announcement of him saying the exact opposite. For extra points, have much of the population buy it, forgetting everything he said before.[/quote']

We have always been at war with Eurasia.