You can drive it off the lot for the low, low price of.....

Chris Goodwin

Question

Hi Steve, I'm sorry if this one is answered in the FAQ; I couldn't find it after a search.

How exactly do you pay for your Vehicle's points? Someone discovered a potential inconsistency, and I've attempted to reconcile it but have no idea if it's right. It sounds good to me, but....

You pay 1 point per 5 points in your Vehicle that aren't covered by Disadvantages, plus 1 point per 1 point by which the Vehicle's total points exceed your total points, regardless of Disadvantages. Is this correct?

Example:

Character A, 350 total points, wants to buy a 350 point vehicle. He plunks down 40 points, and can have a vehicle with a base cost of up to 200 points, plus another 150 in Disadvantages.

Character B, also 350 total points, also wants to buy a 350 point vehicle. He plunks down 70 points, and can have a vehicle with a base cost of up to 350 points, without having to cover any of it with Disadvantages.

Character C, also 350 total points, wants to buy a 355 point vehicle. He plunks down 45 points (40 + 5) and can have a vehicle with a base cost of up to 200 points, plus another 155 in Disadvantages.

Character D, also 350 total points, discovers a bit of weirdness in all this. He too wants to buy a 355 point vehicle, so he plunks down a total of 76 points (355/5 = 71, plus 1 per 1 above 350) and doesn't have to cover any of it with Disadvantages.

Am I right? Close? Way off? My reading says all of these are correct, but I Could Be Wrong.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Re: You can drive it off the lot for the low, low price of.....

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, since it doesn't quite actually answer the question. ;) But I think it will provide better long-term guidance and help.

Here's how I'm going to resolve any potential inconsistencies: in 6E I'm getting rid of any of these annoying-ass calculations that change the cost of something relative to the character's cost. They're mathematical nightmares. We're willing to trust GMs to handle other things in the game, I think we can safely assume that no sensible GM will let a 350-point character have a 1,000 point vehicle if that's going to be a problem. ;)

I haven't yet firmly decided how I want to handle the issue of Disadvantages as they affect the cost of Followers, Vehicles, Bases, and the like. There's a good chance that they won't factor in at all, since I think that allowing "credit" for them is unbalancing, unfair, and confusing. However, I can say this for certain: as with a Summoned being, you should give your Vehicle (or whatever) the Disadvantages necessary to define how it functions, regardless of whether you get Character Points for them. That's the real purpose of Disadvantages, after all.

So I suggest you just ignore all this nonsense for now until it all gets straightened out. Just charge a character Vehicle's cost/5 in Character Points for the Vehicle, and rework things later if necessary. ;)