Cursed Amulet

Vanguard00

Okay, gurus. What's needed is a cursed amulet. The amulet provides certain protection but in return wants the wearer to "harvest" souls (i.e. be close enough that the amulet can feed on them). It begins to take over when the wearer dies and the amulet resurrects him/her. Thereafter, whenever the character dies, the amulet again resurrects him/her, but also gains a stronger hold on him.

Here's the build thus far:

Soul Catcher, all slots Independent (-2), OAF Unbreakable (Amulet; -1)

2 1) Mind Shroud: Mental Defense (7 points total) (7 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Unbreakable (Amulet; -1) 0

2 2) Mystic Defense: Power Defense (7 points) (7 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Unbreakable (Amulet; -1) 0

3 3) Protective Aura: Force Field (7 PD/7 ED) (14 Active Points); Independent (-2), Limited Power Only vs Magic or Magical Effects (-1), OAF Unbreakable (Amulet; -1) 1

7 4) Soul Restoration: Resurrection BODY 1d6, Resurrection (30 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Unbreakable (Amulet; -1) 3

5 5) Curse of the Soul Catcher: Major Transform 1d6 (Transform wearer into Seeker of Souls, Healed back by exorcism performed by blessed figure), Side Effects (Wearer must seek out death (occasionally, major); +0), Trigger - Resurrection by the amulet (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Unbreakable (Amulet; -1) [Notes: Each and every time the wearer is resurrected the Transform is triggered. Each successive transform eventually turns the wearer into someone who will actively seek out death, up to and including causing death, in order to harvest souls.]

Questions:

1) Is the above build legal?

2) Can it be done better?

Notes:

Yes, the amulet can be removed at any time, but there is an associated Disad relating to the wearer needing to get it back. In short, the wearer is addicted to it and could possibly die while separated.

I'll probably have more questions when y'all tear me apart. This is, by the way, my first attempt at building a cursed item of this sort, so please be gentle.

Re: Cursed Amulet

It looks ok to me.

But it might be easier to make the curse a side effect of the resurrection rather than making it a separate power.

I did it this way because I needed to get the Psych Lim "Wearer Must Seek Out Death" thing in there and I didn't know how else to do that.

'preciate the input.

I'm not clear on slot #5. It transforms someone into a "seeker of souls" with a side effect "seeks out death". OK' date=' just what's the diff?[/quote']

To be perfectly honest that was a bit of "try and come up with a catchy name" crap on my part.

The idea behind the amulet, however, is that it feeds on the souls of the newly departed. That's how it conveys the protection, through the power of the souls it has acquired. By the same token, the amulet nudges the wearer into seeking out death, whether it's as a casual observer or, as the amulet's hold grows stronger, as someone who does the killing.

Like I said, it's my first cursed item of this nature. I'm still workin' out the details :)

To be perfectly honest that was a bit of "try and come up with a catchy name" crap on my part.

The idea behind the amulet, however, is that it feeds on the souls of the newly departed. That's how it conveys the protection, through the power of the souls it has acquired. By the same token, the amulet nudges the wearer into seeking out death, whether it's as a casual observer or, as the amulet's hold grows stronger, as someone who does the killing.

Like I said, it's my first cursed item of this nature. I'm still workin' out the details :)

OK. No harm done. :D

I think you go with what JohnTaber said, call it a side Effect. You can do a Transform as a Side efect even tho you can't usually Transform yourself.