Archeological gold

Basil

Re: Archeological gold

Of course, it's Emperor Heraclius' time. Not ancient Rome, not ancient Israel, not quite the rise of Islam (well, you move into it at the end of his reign, but...), not even classic Byzantine.

Boring.

Or is it? Pulp is for crazy stuff, and sometimes weought to make room for new crazy theories. "Hagarism" sure qualifies. You won't be able to do the scenario with a Muslim player, but what if the treasure points you in the direction of the real Mecca and the hidden secret of Islam's origins?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagarism). Be sure to look at the linked article by Patricia Crone at the end.

Of course' date=' it's Emperor Heraclius' time. Not ancient Rome, not ancient Israel, not quite the rise of Islam (well, you move into it at the end of his reign, but...), not even classic Byzantine.[/quote']

Depends on what you consider "Byzantium" to cover.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagarism). Be sure to look at the linked article by Patricia Crone at the end.

I found this article much more informative.

IOW, as science, :thumbdown Hagarism :thumbdown stinks :thumbdown. And, frankly, as Pulp, it doesn't do it for me. To much of a whiff of bigotry to me.

It's certainly a fiercer attack, but I would still recommend looking at Crone's recent article.

What survives from 20 years of incisive criticism of this intensely silly theory is the realisation that there are things we don't know about the first generation of Islam. As fantasists, I think we can take the raw material and construct an alternative scenario that is sensitive to Quran and the Hadith. There are things that even the Hadith does not know, or "know" about the early life of the Prophet, and vast amounts unknown about the Islamic conquest. There are even some changes in Hadith that strike me as fairly innocent. (About all that I would ask for in a plausible scenario is that Muhammed not be a native of Mecca).

These provide more than enough room for dark doings in Jerusalem in the time of Heraclius and mysterious ruins in the desert linked to the early life of the Prophet.

Play it right and have links going back further' date=' say to the battle of Kadesh and something precious that Ramses lost...[/quote']

And the coins are (part of) what was later paid for it? :eg: I like it---cursed money, with a mysterious/psychic connection to some even more astonishing objects! :thumbup: