A temporary universal portal

Blackberry

The character I'm imagining has a power somewhere between Gateway from the old X-Men comics and the Portal gun from the video game Portal.

He can create a short-hop teleportation gateway between two spots with only a short distance between (say 20 meters). He must be able to see both ends. He does not necessarily need to actually use the Teleport, i.e. step through the portal, to activate it for others.

The tricky part is that the gateway stays open for a few segments, and anyone can step through it and be at the other portal, be they friend or foe, and from either end to the other end.

It can't just be Usable By Others, as that connotes that the Other in question could select their own Teleport destination. It's not a fixed destination, as it can be set to be anywhere within range and distance when the power is fired off. It's not Usable As Attack, because it must be a willing participant to step through. It's almost like a Universal Focus, without the Focus, that burns out after a few segments. Tunneling? But there could be anything in between the two ends, including 19.9 meters thick of adamantium, air, or vacuum.

I will probably be putting Increased END Cost on it as well.

Any ideas?

Re: A temporary universal portal

Here's one way to do it.

Wormhole Stan

52 Does Whatever A Wormhole Can: Multipower, 105-point reserve, (105 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Side Effects (-1/4)

5u 1) Basic Gate: Teleportation 10", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (105 Active Points) 10

4u 2) Defensive Redirect Gate: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Full Range (+1) (105 Active Points); Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

4u 3) You Can See What I See: Clairsentience (Sight, Hearing, Radio And Smell/Taste Groups), Targeting, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (105 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (-1/2) 4

5u 4) Offensive Redirect Gate: Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2) for up to 70 Active Points of Any Ranged Attack, Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (105 Active Points) 4

5u 5) Acme Gate: Stretching 7", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) (105 Active Points) 5

5u 6) Watch Where You're Going!: Teleportation 8", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1) (104 Active Points) 5

edit

re: The Gate Limitation

Was not an option in HDv3 but an additional (-1/2) Custom Limitation on slot 1) would only save "1" real point.

I'll try my hand at this:

48 Teleportation 10", x4 Increased Mass, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (97 Active Points); Gate (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

See pg. 234 of the 5th ed. rev. for the full description of the Gate Limitation.

I'll try my hand at this:

48 Teleportation 10", x4 Increased Mass, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (97 Active Points); Gate (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

See pg. 234 of the 5th ed. rev. for the full description of the Gate Limitation.

For tele-gates, I use the basic "Usable by Others" alone. Since the gate is only 1 hex in area, there is sort of a natural limit on how many can get through it at the same time.

I do still want that tunnel effect. You do still have to traverse the 10" to the other side of the gate; you just can ignore anything intervening.

Almost sounds more like Desolid, but how to buy limitations that restrict where you can walk while desolid?

Also, with Teleport and Gate, how to buy it so you can move one of the gate ends while it's open?

I do still want that tunnel effect. You do still have to traverse the 10" to the other side of the gate; you just can ignore anything intervening.

Almost sounds more like Desolid, but how to buy limitations that restrict where you can walk while desolid?

Also, with Teleport and Gate, how to buy it so you can move one of the gate ends while it's open?

re: Tunnel vs. Gate

A tunnel effect is completely different than a gate.

A gate is like 'Stargate'. One step through an entrance in one location will take you one step out an exit in another location.

A tunnel is more like the Lazarus episode of Star Trek the original series. For it to really be somewhere 'else' besides the starting point and destination would require Extra Dimensional Movement (EDM) to some form of 'pocket dimension'. That's the only way it could be considered a 'different place'. The first episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine also showed a tunnel effect of the wormhole. But this effect did not appear again except when Cisco wanted to talk to the gate-creators in their own dimension.

re: moving one of the gate ends

That could be done by adding the Mobile Advantage to one of the TPort slots:

4u 1) Basic Gate v2: Teleportation 10", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Mobile (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (105 Active Points); Limited Power Gate (-1/2) 10

re: Tunnel vs. Gate

A tunnel effect is completely different than a gate.

A gate is like 'Stargate'. One step through an entrance in one location will take you one step out an exit in another location.

A tunnel is more like the Lazarus episode of Star Trek the original series. For it to really be somewhere 'else' besides the starting point and destination would require Extra Dimensional Movement (EDM) to some form of 'pocket dimension'. That's the only way it could be considered a 'different place'.

Oh, I don't know. It's not like he's wanting to pop over to some safe place for a while; anyone could reach him by jumping into one of the ends of the Gate. It's not like a similar thing couldn't be done with Tunnelling in most circumstances. I probably wouldn't REQUIRE this to be done with EDM. I'd probably just call it SFX myself, at least if the TP distance were short enough to walk in a single Phase. If it were longer than that, I might require some kind of Delayed Effect or something, but even then I might not sweat it too much.

But 10" isn't far enough to walk in a single phase for many characters if they are in a combat situation, unless they use non-combat movement and leave themselves vulnerable. Plus, if the "gate" at both ends of the "tunnel" stay open until there is no one left inside, then there'd be the increased risk of enemies being able to jump through after them if they had a straggler holding things up. True, it probably wouldn't really come up that often, and I would probably agree with you and just rule it SFX, but it is something to consider.

But 10" isn't far enough to walk in a single phase for many characters if they are in a combat situation' date=' unless they use non-combat movement and leave themselves vulnerable. Plus, if the "gate" at both ends of the "tunnel" stay open until there is no one left inside, then there'd be the increased risk of enemies being able to jump through after them if they had a straggler holding things up. True, it probably wouldn't really come up that often, and I would probably agree with you and just rule it SFX, but it is something to consider.[/quote']

Right. Well, those things do tend to make up for the fact that the character might not be visible or in line for attack for a bit. Just having to double up on the movement powers to get from A to B is a bit of a downside to this mode of travel. Heh. Of course there's circumstances in which it would be more or less favorable than the usual. It probably balances out.

Oh' date=' I don't know. It's not like he's wanting to pop over to some safe place for a while; anyone could reach him by jumping into one of the ends of the Gate.... [/quote']

What if someone Entangles him AFTER he enters one "end of the tunnel" but BEFORE he exits the other "end"?

Where is the character? (He's not at his starting point OR his destination)

What happens when the creator of the tunnel effect stops paying END for it?

etc...

That's the implication of having a "tunnel effect" that can't be reconciled without use of EDM imho.

What if someone Entangles him AFTER he enters one "end of the tunnel" but BEFORE he exits the other "end"?

Where is the character? (He's not at his starting point OR his destination)

What happens when the creator of the tunnel effect stops paying END for it?

etc...

That's the implication of having a "tunnel effect" that can't be reconciled without use of EDM imho.

Well, I'd be inclined myself to a negative result, to the person inside and/or to the user of the power. So I'd be less inclined to make them purchase EDM and more inclined to suggest a Side Effect. Person inside is hurt/stunned and pushed out of the tunnel? User must use End (it keeps draining from him) until everyone is out of the tunnel? The person inside is STUCK in a small pocket dimension (hardly a purposeful and helpful move between dimensions, so I wouldn't think it necessary to charge points for it). Best case, the tunnel seals off in the middle and slowly starts shrinking towards each end, pushing those within out the ends (but slowly enough it doesn't really aid their travel). ;) [EDIT: OR, everyone is dumped back out into the normal world in a place that corresponds to their location in the tunnel. Simple enough.]