Drain vs END Reserve

Dr Divago

Hi all

as noted in another post, my PCs got attacked by some banewolves.

Banewlves got this powerful and fearing attack:

[i]Magic Eating:[/i] Dispel Magic 4d6, any magic power one at time (+¼),
Delayed Return Rate (5 per month; +2), Reduced END (No END, +½).
Total: 150 points

So what's if they attack the cute-halfmage-girl who got this END Reserve?

Sunset Star: Endurance Reserve (80 END, 7 REC) [15 Active Points];
IIF (ring; -¼)

5ER state that drain vs "the END into END reserve treat it like normal END" (so drain end at rate of 2 end for 1 drain point)

but what happened if they drain Reserve's power? of course the ring got a Power Defense of 3 (Active Points/5 of most powerful power bought with this focus) but if 7 points are drained... it lose 40 END and 3 REC?

ps: i think this problem are covered in the FREd's faqs, but unluckily i deleted it when i started using 5ER and i don't found it around...

Re: Drain vs END Reserve

Here's a link the FAQ.

And here's the relevant rulings (from 5e & 5er respectively):

How does a Drain or other Adjustment Power apply to an Endurance Reserve?

A Drain (or other Adjustment Power) bought for use against an Endurance Reserve is typically bought as a Drain END or Drain REC, and only affects that part of the Reserve using the rules on 5E 103. With the GM’s permission, a character could buy a “Drain Endurance Reserve” (or like power) that affected both parts of the Reserve — first the END, and once all the END is gone the REC.

The rules on 5ER 159 note that Adjustment Powers affect an Endurance Reserve’s END or REC at the standard cost for those Characteristics, not the Endurance Reserve cheaper cost. Do the effects of Adjustment Powers used on an Endurance Reserve fade at the same (standard) rate, or at the much cheaper (and thus faster) rate indicated by the cost of Endurance Reserve?

Adjustment Powers used either positively or negatively to Adjust an Endurance Reserve fade at the standard rate. For example, if a Drain END removes 15 Character Points’ worth of END (30 END) from a Reserve, those points return at the rate of 5 Character Points (10 END) per Turn — not the 1-for-10 cost of END in an Endurance Reserve.

Here's a link the FAQ.

And here's the relevant rulings (from 5e & 5er respectively):

Yes i already read this... but...

this does'nt resolve my problem

the faq is about a "drain end" aimed to end reserve, or "drain rec" aimed to end reserve

i got a "drain magic" specifically suited to drain power from magic items and make'em useless for a while; it can drain bonus ocv from magic sword, bonus defense from magic armor, it can revert a magical-hat-who-always-keep-warm to normal fur cap.

But what happen if hit a magic reserve of mana? (end reserve)

1) it drain the power "end reserve" so it drain both END and REC at cheaper cost

(it drain from active points, then reduce END and REC proportionally)

2) it drain END first then REC at cheaper cost

3) it drain END first then REC at normal cost

But what happen if hit a magic reserve of mana? (end reserve)

1) it drain the power "end reserve" so it drain both END and REC at cheaper cost

(it drain from active points, then reduce END and REC proportionally)

2) it drain END first then REC at cheaper cost

3) it drain END first then REC at normal cost

Per the sections of my previous post highlighted in Red the answer would be 3).

In heroic campaigns, End Reserve is indeed mighty powerful if the REC recovers every Phase. It's not so off balancing if the REC recovers at a much slower time frame.

For the same 12 real points, you could have:

Sunset Star: Endurance Reserve (130 END, 7 REC) Reserve: (20 Active Points); IIF (-1/4); REC: (7 Active Points); Slow Recovery 1 Day (-3), IIF (-1/4)

But, it would take 12 sunsets to gain over 80 END instead of 144 seconds. With this one, a lost of 14 END (due to 7 points drained) is two sunsets worth.

In heroic campaigns' date=' End Reserve is indeed mighty powerful if the REC recovers every Phase. It's not so off balancing if the REC recovers at a much slower time frame.[/quote']:-\

i did an error granting a 80 end 6 rec reserve to a player, so in this case _is_ very advantaging ;_;

well, ok, youth's inexperience :)

In heroic campaigns, End Reserve is indeed mighty powerful if the REC recovers every Phase. It's not so off balancing if the REC recovers at a much slower time frame.

According to RAW Endurance Reserves cannot Recover more frequently than once per Turn. Or are you referring to a GM approved pro-rating of the Per Turn REC into a Per Phase one?

from page 158 ■ Character Creation: Powers Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

An Endurance Reserve normally Recovers its REC in END each Turn. You can decrease this return rate with a Limitation; see below. Endurance Reserves cannot Recover more frequently than once per Turn. However, the GM may, if he wishes, pro-rate the return of END over the course of a Turn, so that a character gets a little END back each Segment or Phase, rather than a lump sum of END during every Post-Segment 12 Recovery.