Grab vs Mentalism

Kdansky

Re: Grab vs Mentalism

The rules on "what can you do when you are grabbed" are rather fuzzy. What would you do with a Mentalist who gets grabbed? Can he still use his powers? Does he get ECV modifiers like he gets OCV modifiers? Can he use them on the grabber and/or anyone else?

As far as I know, being grabbed does not affect your ECV at all, and certainly does not prevent you using attack powers (although at a penalty for DEX based attacks). He can use them on anyone, but, being grabbed, the grabber might well be able to control his movement in such a way that he can not draw Line Of Sight on a particular target, although that would be a GM call.

The rules on "what can you do when you are grabbed" are rather fuzzy. What would you do with a Mentalist who gets grabbed? Can he still use his powers? Does he get ECV modifiers like he gets OCV modifiers? Can he use them on the grabber and/or anyone else?

Hmm, I feel pretty clear on what you can and cannot do when you are grabbed. Being grabbed would not effect ECV. The grabee could easily attack the grabber, perhaps much to his surprise!

In my mind the Only limit is Line of sight...

AFAIK, Being Grabbed doesn't effect mental combat at all. It may even make it easier if you use some of the optional rules for being in contact with the target of a mental attack. LOS could be an issue but as I recall, knowing the target's location with a targeting sense will do the grabbed mentalist has Touch to work with same as a blinded wrestler. He definitely knows pretty much exactly where his target is in most cases.

Of course the GM can introduce penalties if he feel they make sense. It might be difficult to focus your mental energies while King Constrictor is throttling the life out of you. :)

What about an actual "mental grab" in both directions.

I suppose mentally grabbing someone else is simply TK.

Grabbing someone's mind would be what? Mental Paralysis (Entangle BOECV)?

Or maybe Flash vs Mental sense? (plus the others I suppose...)

Which is why my Super Wrassler Killer Komando has a "Grab" built as Entangle: Blocks vision' date=' yadda yadda....[/quote']

I've thought about this a bit, and, having done a bit of judo, I can say that vision is probably not that important when wrestling. In addition is you KNOW where an opponent is, because you have hands on them, or they on you, you can target a mental power even if you can not see. I think that would probably be a -1 to their ECV.

I've thought about this a bit, and, having done a bit of judo, I can say that vision is probably not that important when wrestling.

That's actually reflected in the rules. I'll have to dig up the reference but I think it's either in the UMA or the Combat handbook.

In addition is you KNOW where an opponent is, because you have hands on them, or they on you, you can target a mental power even if you can not see. I think that would probably be a -1 to their ECV.

At most, IMO. I've always ruled "Line of Sight" wasn't literally limited to sight but any Targeting sense would work for the purpose. I don't know if that's a House Rule or something actually in the RAW though.

At most' date=' IMO. I've always ruled "Line of Sight" wasn't literally limited to sight but any Targeting sense would work for the purpose. I don't know if that's a House Rule or something actually in the RAW though.[/quote']

Yeah. I'll have to look in the book again myself, but IIRC you don't even need to actually be ABLE to sense the target (at the moment) with a Targetting Sense; LoS is more a definition of range; somewhat independent of senses. Maybe badly named.

I've thought about this a bit' date=' and, having done a bit of judo, I can say that vision is probably not that important when wrestling. In addition is you KNOW where an opponent is, because you have hands on them, or they on you, you can target a mental power even if you can not see. I think that would probably be a -1 to their ECV.[/quote']

The Blocks vision is to protect my team mates, No "Hey Atom smasher, come break me out from KK's mighty grip" for You!

If I can't KO a puny Mentalist on my own, well I should just turn in my champion's belt right now....;)