A really tough kookie with a twist

Mokko

:help:

Hello,

Our group decided to reset our long term campaign and start over with new characters for various reasons. There is a certain type of character I have always wanted to try and never had change till now: a REALLY tough kookie with a twist.

To make story short and save everyones time I know what I want my character to end up like. My problem is how to build it as best as possible on starting points and then allow characters invulnerability to grow with XP. We get 350 starting points (250 points + 100 disadvantages) and use 5th edition.

HOW TO BUILD FOLLOWING AS BEST AS POSSIBLE ON STARTING POINTS (250 +100) and then allow characters invulnerability to grow with xp?

Player: TOUGH kookie with a twist

STR: A LOT STR

DEX: around 20

Con: around 40-50

BODY: around 30

INT: I dont know.

EGO: perhaps 20-25

PRE: 30-40 is a good number here

COM: uh I dont know

16" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

44" LEAP 0

Cost Power

60 Adaption : Variable Power Pool, 50 base + 10 control cost, (75 Active Points); Character Has No Choice Regarding How Powers Change (-1/2), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only After "Death" (-1/2), Limited Power Only Defensive type powers (-1/2)

37 Almost Impossible to Hurt: Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points)

15 Almost Impossible to Hurt: Hardened Defenses (30 PD/30ED) (15 Active Points)

30 Almost Impossible to Hurt: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%

30 Almost Impossible to Hurt: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%

17 Impossible to Kill: Healing 4 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (65 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

20 Mindless Rage: Mental Defense (25 points total)

33 Mindless Rage: Ego Attack 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

10 Heightened Defenses: Power Defense (10 points)

10 No Internal Organs : Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Normal Defense

50 Perfectly Adapted: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

20 Monstrously Fast: Running +10" (16" total)

35 Monstrous Leap: Leaping +25" (44" forward, 22" upward) (x8 Noncombat)

47 Claws: AP Advantage on STR (47 Active Points)

90 Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (6d6 w/STR), Penetrating (x2; +1) (90 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 504

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

25 +5 with HTH Combat

Skills Cost: 31

Cost Talent

12 Lightning Reflexes: +8 DEX to act first with All Actions

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: around 900

Pts. Disadvantage

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 250

Experience Required to make it all the way to this point: 500-600

Re: A really tough kookie with a twist

With your stats alone (Not counting STR!) and the 60pt adaption pool would put you around 250 pts. Ypou have to be more realistic with your expectations. Now, take all that stuff you wanted and pair it down to what you REALLY want the character to have.

We can go from there.

No' date=' not really. More like Doomsday.[/quote']

Ah, I didn't look that closely at the VPP.

It's not that different than trying to build Hulk as a player character. For Hulk, your best bet would be to start with the published version of Grond and figure out some sort of Aid ability triggered by combat/getting angry to add to it. To make it balance out to 350 he probably can't start with more than a 50 STR. Most of Doomsday's abilities boild down to just a DCU version of the Hulk defined as being tougher than Superman.

I would start with the basics. Physical characteristics need to be kind of high. I wouldn't try to get them as high as you really want them, yet. Try a lower score but with a +X amount to each that only applies when certain things occur, like 'Only when badly injured' (50% health). Then you still have a very high score when it really counts, a decent score for day to day fighting, and a good in character reason for improving your abilities later. You simply adapted.

As far as Mental stats, keep them low, but add +X to Ego and Pre, Defence Only. Then improve them later, with your physical stats. You get more monstrous in appearance as you get more muscle/bone-spurs/etc.

Buy the full range of your Life Support since adapting to any environment is the whole point of the character. Similarly, take the full healing, for the same reason. Keep an adaptation pool, but not as large, and lower the defenses. Improve those later, after getting in a few fights, because your body and mind have adapted to the greater threats that you face.

Get rid of the claws and running, relying on leaping to get where you need to be. Then later on, you can improve those too, if you feel like it.

On the whole, everything can be reduced with an addition that only applies 'When slightly hurt', another that applies 'when hurt', and a third that applies 'when badly hurt'.

The easiest choices for things to reduce until later are the scores that are too high for a 350 pt. campaign.

- CON 40-50: a CON of 30 is plenty for now given your defenses (saves upto 40 pts.)

- BODY 30: 15-20 is plenty given your resistant defenses (saves upto 30 pts.)

- HKA 3d6 (6d6 w/STR), Penetrating x2: this attack is almost overpowered for your 900 pt. version of the character so it can easily be scaled back. a 1.5-2d6 (3-4d6 w/ STR) Penetrating HKA should be good (saves upto 52 pts.)

- 47 APs of Armor Piercing on STR: 47 pts. means you calculated this based on 95 STR. 60 STR should be enough (saves 35 pts.) plus the cost of the AP goes down to 30 (saves 17 pts.). In a typical 350 pt. campaign this will still probably be too powerful.

- +5 with HTH Combat: With your defenses you will likely always be putting these into OCV. 10 should be good (saves 10 pts.)

That will shave about 150 pts. Other areas that are high for a 350 are:

- EGO 20-25 plus 25 pts. Mental Defense: together you will almost be immune to mental powers. I would reduce one or the other, or both.

- 44" leap with x8 non-combat: you could save some pts. here

- 16" running: with 44" of Leaping, you may decide this isn't necessary

- The mental damage shield is nice fluff but you may decide it's not necessary for a starting level character

- You could also lower the Damage Reduction to 25% until later

Since part of the character's theme is adaption, you could put some of your abilities into a multipower, representing the ability to alter his body structure to deal with different threats. For instance:

30 Body Adaptation: Multipower, 30-point reserve

5m Armored Skin: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

5m Insulating Skin: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

1u Ocular Membranes: Force Field (12 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (15 Active Points)

1u Adrenaline Surge: +15 STR (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)