The Versitile Vimes

Mavnn

Having stolen this idea from Mister Vimes, I then asked if he minded me using his name as the distributor/inventor of the drugs in question. Foolishly, he agreed...

So, what I need now is a Mister Vimes for my campaign. Currently I am thinking of making him a member of VIPER, who in my campaign are a serious threat (my players are fairly new to Champions, and so don't have the built up image of VIPER as bumbling incompetant fools that longer term Champs players tend to). The other option is to make him a member of Shadow Law, an even more behind the scenes organisation run by the mind controlling Lord Bison.

Either way, I'm looking for suggestions as to what to make of the character, particularly from Mister Vimes himself, but also from Herodom assembled. Should he be the niceguy no-one realises is the villian? Should he be addicted to his own products, keeping the best and most effective for himself? Should he be the loyal minion of his organisation, or is he looking for the job at the top? Does he care about power at all, or does he just want funding for his research? Was it his diabolical brain who game up with this scheme, or is he just the puppet of evil masters? Does he even know how the drugs are being used?

All these questions and more, answered in future updates to this thread!

I've posted his current character sheet below. As you can see, he needs some more work :). I will update both the text and the attached HD file on a fairly regular basis (every couple of days assuming I get suggestions and ideas).

Mister Vimes

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

10 EGO 0

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 13

Cost Skill

3 Inventor 14-

3 PS: Surgery (INT-based) 14-

3 Paramedics 14-

3 Streetwise 11-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Biochemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 3) SS: Biology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 4) SS: Genetics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 5) SS: Nanotechnology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 6) SS: Psychology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

Skills Cost: 27

Total Character Cost: 40

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Here's my take:

Mister Vimes

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
18 DEX 24
18 CON 16
13 BODY 6
23 INT 13
23 EGO 26
18 PRE 8
12 COM 1
16/26 PD 7
16/26 ED 6
5 SPD 22
7 REC 0
35 END 0
30 STUN 1
6" RUN02" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 133

Cost Power END
24 Impact Reactive Armor: Armor (10 PD / 10 ED) (30 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) (added to Secondary Value)
45 The Persuader: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: , 64 Charges (+1/2) (90 Active Points); OAF (-1) [Notes: Big Scary Hand-Gun]
3u 1) Concrete Blob: Entangle 3d6, 9 DEF (60 Active Points)
3u 2) Dumb Darts: Drain 6d6: INT (60 Active Points)
3u 3) Penetrator: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (vs. PD), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points)
3u 4) Screamer: Flash 15d6 (Mental Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Additional Sense Group: Sight Group) (60 Active Points)
3u 5) Splat Bullets: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. PD) (60 Active Points)
Mr. Vimes' Special Combat Drugs, all slots: , 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+1/2); IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Unlike the Drugs Mr. Vimes sells, this drugs have no side-effects.]
17 1) Juice: +20 STR (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (not added to totals)
26 2) Wire: +10 DEX (45 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (not added to totals)
17 3) Flex: +10 CON (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (not added to totals)
24 4) Celine: +10 EGO (30 Active Points) (not added to totals)
24 5) Spook: +20 PRE (30 Active Points) (not added to totals)
24 6) Scream: +2 SPD (30 Active Points) (not added to totals)
36 7) Jazz: +15 REC (45 Active Points) (not added to totals)
24 8) Boost: +40 END (30 Active Points) (not added to totals)
24 9) Tyson: +20 STUN (30 Active Points) (not added to totals)
24 10) Jenner: Running +10" (30 Active Points) (not added to totals)
Powers Cost: 324

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +1d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +15 STR vs. Grabs
Martial Arts Cost: 15

Cost Skill
10 +1 Overall
3 Computer Programming 14-
3 Criminology 14-
3 Deduction 14-
3 Electronics 14-
3 Inventor 14-
3 Mechanics 14-
3 Oratory 13-
3 Paramedics 14-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 PS: Surgery (INT-based) 14-
3 Security Systems 14-
3 Streetwise 13-
2 Survival (Urban) 14-
3 Tactics 14-
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Biology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 2) SS: Biochemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 3) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 4) SS: Genetics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 5) SS: Medicine (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 6) SS: Nanotechnology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 7) SS: Pharmacology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 8) SS: Psychology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
Skills Cost: 70

Cost Perk
5 Computer Link
50 Follower (x100, 75 Base, 75 Disad)
15 Money (Filthy Rich)
2 Fringe Benefit (License to practice a profession, Passport)
40 Vehicles & Bases (200 Base, 0 Disad)
Perks Cost: 112

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck: 6 PD/6 ED
8 Lightning Reflexes: +5 DEX to act first with All Actions
3 Lightning Calculator
Talents Cost: 23

Total Character Cost: 676

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 476

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

and the hdc is attached

Stats look good, although I'll take a closer look later. But the real thing I wanted ideas for was aims, goals and personality. Give your self some Psych Lims! You know no villian is complete without them...

Megalomania sounds one possible route, with Obsessed with science being the other idea that springs to mind. Maybe alcoholism as a tribute to his namesake (the book character, of course - I'm sure the fine upstanding Mr. Vimes of our boards is a sober individual). Does he actually care for some people he knows (DNPCs)? Is he actually a nice guy being forced into all this by circumstance of blackmail?

On with the ideas!

Michael

Okay... let's try the tragedy angle. Mr. Vimes is tired of seeing the military and the police getting the rough end of the deal. He develops some chemicals that will create super-soldiers. The drugs work fine on himself and his children (metagene anyone?) but are rejected as dangeously addictive with pronounced side effects. Vimes continues his experiments but his funding is pulled. One of his children use the drugs to "make them see that dad was right" and is killed. In his sorrow and anger, Vimes turns to the street to sell his frugs to finance his revenge and to try and perfect his drugs to show the world he was right.

Classic tragedian villain. He can have a daughter and a son that use the Special Vimes Drugs (since they take no side effects) as super agents. He is loyal to his people and sometimes a little blind to the fact that his agents are using him as a supplier of drugs that allow them to commit crimes.

I must admit I was also planning to give the lesser drugs longer term serious side effects to discourage use by the PCs - maybe addictive and/or adding Psych Lims as well.

Hmmm... possibly psych lims linked to the stat boosted - general overconfidence in and relience on the ability boosted...

Michael