Tampering with the STR Chart to change the genre

Balabanto

It occurs to me that in 6th edition, a lot of power creep issues could be solved by putting the Strength Chart and how much it can lift on a sliding scale. That way, you don't need more dice, the campaign and def and body scores for objects becomes subject to the genre rather than a more "realistic" build design.

If you want a STR of 30 to lift 1.6 tons, then it lifts 1.6 tons.

But, if you want a STR of 30 to lift only .5 tons, for instance, everything changes. The way that this would work is something like this.

STR Low Medium High Cosmic

0 0 0 0 0

10 25 KG 100 KG 100KG 100 KG

15 50 KG 200 KG 400 KG 800 KG

20 100 KG 400 KG 1.6 Tons 6.4 Tons

30 400 KG 1.6 Tons 6.4 Tons 25 Tons

And so on. This assumes that the lifting chart delivers an equivalent amount of force applied for all powers and abilities. I.E. in a medium powered (Standard) Champions Campaign, a 12d6 EB delivers the equivalent of 100 Tons of force, the equivalent of a STR 60. Now you don't need to build things realistically, instead you just assign def and body scores based on the type of campaign you're running. In higher level games, you need weaker normals, but there are also optional rules that exist for that. Those are perfectly adjustable.

I think this will eliminate the need to roll ridiculous numbers of dice and bring the system back to a point where people can roll the number of dice that can reasonably fit in one hand.

I only ask that this idea be carefully considered.

Re: Tampering with the STR Chart to change the genre

First, this is not the place to make suggestions or initiate discussions regarding the 6E rules, please do so in the appropriate thread on the 6E Discussion forum.

Second, you will find that I am more likely to listen to your suggestions and ideas if they're not based on suppositions that aren't necessarily shared, like the existence of "power creep" and how many dice are reasonable to roll. ;) As I discussed in my initial post regarding commenting on 6E, don't assume your personal opinions are facts, and you'll come across as a much more reasonable and helpful poster.