Extremely high Charactaristic used in REQUIRES SKILL ROLL

AggroBoy

Re: Extremely high Charactaristic used in REQUIRES SKILL ROLL

What about the fact that you can build a power objectively' date=' and have different characters better or worse at it depending on their level of skill WITHOUT re-costing the power?[/quote']

So if my power works 1 time in 4 and yours fails 1 time in 10, it is appropriate we pay the same points for a power that is, in all other respects, identical?

By the same logic, should we both get the same limitation for "Only in Utter Darkness" when I have a Darkness power and you have DF: Radiates Bright light"?

So if my power works 1 time in 4 and yours fails 1 time in 10, it is appropriate we pay the same points for a power that is, in all other respects, identical?

By the same logic, should we both get the same limitation for "Only in Utter Darkness" when I have a Darkness power and you have DF: Radiates Bright light"?

As GA mentioned, I've probably spent a lot of points already to make the RSR succeed that much more of the time. I'm not saying it is always appropriate, but I think it is invaluable for the toolkit. Many GMs don't want to make everything under the sun completely subjective; completely dependent on the character. It is very useful to have some pre-built constructs.

Imagine if you bought a supplement full of pre-built weapons or spells or something and then had to re-construct and re-cost half of them every time you built a new character (or re-cost half your powers when your Dex goes up a couple points). Does that leave a warm fuzzy? Not for me! I'd like to be able to build that sort of library, and yes, to allow characters to have various levels of skill and ability with the constructs, and not have to generate tables or custom builds to account for 20 different characters I might build with them.

I'm not saying to turn a blind eye. By all means keep a watch on whether things are being abused. See if there are any big warning signs. But those are usually corner cases, not a, "build everything from the ground up every time," solution. IMO RSR gives that reasonable, middle-of-the-road approach where you can look at the overall character and see any glaring abuses, but still have a great deal of flavor and customizability and just the right amount of separation between character and power to be able to pre-build a wide variety of useful crap.

There is something to be said for making a Skill Roll so high that you potentially spend more points overcoming the Limitation than you got back from the Limitation in the first place. . .

For powers with a lot of limitations it may well cost more than you pay for it, but for powers without a lot of limitations and at higher power levels, it doesn't:

10 point power with -2 in limitations including RSR, the RSR is at -1 so you need to spend 5 points (skill +1) to 'break even' assuming a characteristic that has not been enhanced. For a 60 point power with JUST RSR, you save 20 points and need (skill+6), or 15 points to 'break even' - but by those power levels the chances are it will cost less because the base characteristic will be enhanced AND for some skills you might be inclined to buy them anyway: Stealth is a lot more common than Forgery in most games.

You really have no way of properly measuring the cost/benefit with RSR.

It's simple. RSR lets the GM have more fine-tuning than Activation Roll.

And this GM thinks the tuning is out of whack. Which it was, potentially, but we didn't know the power, so...

-Crissa

You can certainly do things with RSR that you can not do with activation, but RSR is riddled with problems which is why I advocated merging the two and taking the best features of each.