DMA Super Spies

Heckus

Here's a peek at what I've been subjecting my players to for the last year:

DMA: Department of Meta-threat Assessment.

10 things to know about the campaign:

1. The general public does not know of the existence of Metahumans (or "metas").

2. The U.N and several major world powers want to keep it a secret.

3. All 'true metahumans' share a common origin generically referred to as "the Source", but no one has been able to find it (believed to be a place or object).

4. There are organizations that seek to help metahumans peacefully co-exist with normal humans (in secret), but there are also organizations that want to destroy all metahumans.

5. Metahumans vary greatly in power from the very weak ("I can turn my skin blue at will") to "paragons" (PC level, One major power and a few stunts) on up to "Omega-Level metas" (possess multiple power sets and are virtually immortal; the PCs have only personally encountered one to date). Metahumans with permanent obvious mutations are called "Lurkers" and are considered a lower class of meta. [note: humans are NOT the only ones who can have a meta aura]

6. It's recently been discovered that metahumans aren't a just recent phenomena. At various points in the past there were more but they faded into history or were written off as myth (or purposely written out).

7. The DMA was formed during WWII to deal with a surge in "Meta-activity". The founding members called themselves the "Secret Six". Some of them are now dead or retired but 3 are still active.

8. Several different organizations have pieces to the Big Puzzle but differing goals keeps them from working together to solve it.

9. Team: Sagittarius of the DMA (the players) are "special" and NOT just because they are metahuman.

10. Something big is coming and if Team: Sagittarius doesn't put it all together soon the world could end.

[update: regarding #3: A series of Stone Obelisks called "Thule Stones" located around the globe have been discovered to have a connection to the "Source". The Obelisks were named by the Nazi's back in WWII who believed that they linked to an ancient city that held the key to ultimate power.]

In a nut shell:

The PCs are government agents with powers who work for an agency that polices their own kind and tries to maintain their secret. It's somewhere between "MIB" and "Heroes" (the TV show).

The Characters:

The PCs started the campaign as normal humans that didn't know they had powers (waitress, cop, con artist, and AWOL vet). The first adventure opened the door to a hidden world that they had no idea existed. They are still (after a year) dealing with the fact that much of what they took for granted was a government supported lie. Now they are working for an agency that they don't fully trust.

The "One power" rule:

Each player gets to build their character around "one power" theme(Force Field generation, Mind control, i shoot Mind Bullets, my body turns to steel). Any other powers they take have to be an effect of their original power.

• Example: Mitzi the waitress's one power was "the ability to create invisible force shields around herself and others". Initially all she could do was project a Force wall. As the campaign progessed she learned to entrap people in her fields (entangle) or push people away by expanding her field quickly (TK).

• Occasionally it takes more than one power to adequately create your "one power" theme, such as : "Turning your body in to living steel". In these cases consult the DM for restrictions.

• Ramifications: 3 out of 4 PCs have no movement powers at all. 2 PCs only have normal human defenses (4-8 pd non-resistant) which makes guns a real threat. 2 PCs have no damaging attack power outside of carrying a gun.

• Development: A few metahumans have developed secondary minor abilites unrelated to their "one power" (the mind Controlling Con Artist can sense Metahuman auras). This was added as a GM tool to advance the plot but the player agreed to pay points for it.

Other odd rules:

• Invisible powers: Because of the nature of the campaign I decided to make most active powers innately invisible if the PC was a true metahuman. Having ANY power be visible is a huge disadvantage (blows the big secret). This doesn't increase the cost but players can take "visible" on powers that they would ordinarily not be able to (EBs, FFs, entangles, etc..).

• Retarded Aging: At the point that a true metahuman "manifests" his aging either stops or greatly slows. This is a free power.

• Normal CHA Maxima: Although this is technically a supers campaign, all PCs are bound by NCM unless a Super stat is part of their "One Power" (there is a villain named Think-Man whose only power is a 30 INT; he has yet to be captured).

• Mundane Gear: I don't make the PCs pay for mundane gear (normal guns, bullet proof vests, walkie-talkies, etc..) because their gear can change drastically with each mission and they don't always get to choose it. I have on occassion had to limit a few choices but it hasn't been a big deal.

Role of the PCs:

As Agents of the DMA they are charged with investigating and detaining "hazardous meta-threats". As the campaign has progressed they've discovered that there is far more to the "Big Picture" than they were originally shown and they are secretly working to unravel that mystery between missions.

Other Agencies:

DSI - Department of Scientific Investigation (Allies/Enemies): The DSI is another U.S secret agency that handles "super science". While they are both supposed to be on the same side, the 2 agencies do not get along well at all. The DSI would like nothing better than to use Metahumans as lab rats but the DMA won't allow it. It hasn't been proven but the DMA is pretty sure that the DSI is up to something shady.

OOS - Office of Occult Studies (Allies): The OOS is another U.S secret agency that handles "all thing magical in nature". One of the PCs' favorite allies, Maggie Arcane, is a member in high standing. She has helped the PCs one several cases.

The Omega Objective (Enemies): Secretive Agency that seeks to wipe out metahumans as part of their plan for World Domination. "World peace can only be achieved through total control and the suppression of free will".

The Cabal of Azor (Enemies): Metahuman terrorists who are seeking their "chosen ones" who will help them bring about the will of their Nihilistic Fire God.

[this is also one of my blogs and will be expanded on there as I get time to write]

Re: DMA Super Spies

Cast of Characters:

Aegis (Mitzi McGee) was a waitress in a small town cafe. She has a permanent personal force field (invisible) that she can expand to surround others (Force Wall). In her time with DMA she has discovered other tricks like offensive bubbling (entangle) and how to push things around by expanding her bubble (K and minor flight). She recently discovered that her Grandfather was the Diamond Duke, a founding member of the "Secret Six" (predecessor to the DMA).

Golem (Jacob Larkin) is a soldier on the run. After some bad experiences during the War he became a bit of a drifter. He can turn his body into living steel. He has two subplots currently: first, people from several different circles have referred to him as a "Juten" which seems to have special significance and second, he recently found out that the DMA used him doing the War for a secret mission and then scrubbed his memory leading to some of his mental issues.

Law (Officer Carson Law) a cop known for his amazing aim and luck. He gained internet fame when a video surfaced on Gotube of him taking down the infamous Tres Gatos gang. Initially Carson thought he shot "mind bullets" but the DMA science wing showed him that his "bullet" was actually the tip of an invisible telekinetic tentacle. For some reason a few powerful being seem very afraid of Carson, referring to him as a "Royal Executioner" which seems to have special significance.

Order (Al Nickel) was a con man. He later realised that he had the power of Mind Control. Al found out that his Grandfather was also a founding member of the secret Six (Maestro) and has since been shot by one of Granddad's archenemies who mistook Al for an assassin. Al now has a permanent limp. Al is also wanted by the Cabal of Azor as one of their "Chosen". [side note: "Order" is a play on words since he "gives orders". if anything he is the biggest source of Chaos in the game]

Here's a peek at what I've been subjecting my players to for the last year:

DMA: Department of Meta-threat Assessment.

10 things to know about the campaign:

1. The general public does not know of the existence of Metahumans (or "metas").

2. The U.N and several major world powers want to keep it a secret.

3. All 'true metahumans' share a common origin generically referred to as "the Source", but no one has been able to find it (believed to be a place or object).

4. There are organizations that seek to help metahumans peacefully co-exist with normal humans (in secret), but there are also organizations that want to destroy all metahumans.

5. Metahumans vary greatly in power from the very weak ("I can turn my skin blue at will") to "paragons" (PC level, One major power and a few stunts) on up to "Omega-Level metas" (possess multiple power sets and are virtually immortal; the PCs have only personally encountered one to date). Metahumans with permanent obvious mutations are called "Lurkers" and are considered a lower class of meta. [note: humans are NOT the only ones who can have a meta aura]

6. It's recently been discovered that metahumans aren't a just recent phenomena. At various points in the past there were more but they faded into history or were written off as myth (or purposely written out).

7. The DMA was formed during WWII to deal with a surge in "Meta-activity". The founding members called themselves the "Secret Six". Some of them are now dead or retired but 3 are still active.

8. Several different organizations have pieces to the Big Puzzle but differing goals keeps them from working together to solve it.

9. Team: Sagittarius of the DMA (the players) are "special" and NOT just because they are metahuman.

10. Something big is coming and if Team: Sagittarius doesn't put it all together soon the world could end.

[update: regarding #3: A series of Stone Obelisks called "Thule Stones" located around the globe have been discovered to have a connection to the "Source". The Obelisks were named by the Nazi's back in WWII who believed that they linked to an ancient city that held the key to ultimate power.]

In a nut shell:

The PCs are government agents with powers who work for an agency that polices their own kind and tries to maintain their secret. It's somewhere between "MIB" and "Heroes" (the TV show).

The Characters:

The PCs started the campaign as normal humans that didn't know they had powers (waitress, cop, con artist, and AWOL vet). The first adventure opened the door to a hidden world that they had no idea existed. They are still (after a year) dealing with the fact that much of what they took for granted was a government supported lie. Now they are working for an agency that they don't fully trust.

The "One power" rule:

Each player gets to build their character around "one power" theme(Force Field generation, Mind control, i shoot Mind Bullets, my body turns to steel). Any other powers they take have to be an effect of their original power.

• Example: Mitzi the waitress's one power was "the ability to create invisible force shields around herself and others". Initially all she could do was project a Force wall. As the campaign progessed she learned to entrap people in her fields (entangle) or push people away by expanding her field quickly (TK).

• Occasionally it takes more than one power to adequately create your "one power" theme, such as : "Turning your body in to living steel". In these cases consult the DM for restrictions.

• Ramifications: 3 out of 4 PCs have no movement powers at all. 2 PCs only have normal human defenses (4-8 pd non-resistant) which makes guns a real threat. 2 PCs have no damaging attack power outside of carrying a gun.

• Development: A few metahumans have developed secondary minor abilites unrelated to their "one power" (the mind Controlling Con Artist can sense Metahuman auras). This was added as a GM tool to advance the plot but the player agreed to pay points for it.

Other odd rules:

• Invisible powers: Because of the nature of the campaign I decided to make most active powers innately invisible if the PC was a true metahuman. Having ANY power be visible is a huge disadvantage (blows the big secret). This doesn't increase the cost but players can take "visible" on powers that they would ordinarily not be able to (EBs, FFs, entangles, etc..).

• Retarded Aging: At the point that a true metahuman "manifests" his aging either stops or greatly slows. This is a free power.

• Normal CHA Maxima: Although this is technically a supers campaign, all PCs are bound by NCM unless a Super stat is part of their "One Power" (there is a villain named Think-Man whose only power is a 30 INT; he has yet to be captured).

• Mundane Gear: I don't make the PCs pay for mundane gear (normal guns, bullet proof vests, walkie-talkies, etc..) because their gear can change drastically with each mission and they don't always get to choose it. I have on occassion had to limit a few choices but it hasn't been a big deal.

Role of the PCs:

As Agents of the DMA they are charged with investigating and detaining "hazardous meta-threats". As the campaign has progressed they've discovered that there is far more to the "Big Picture" than they were originally shown and they are secretly working to unravel that mystery between missions.

Other Agencies:

DSI - Department of Scientific Investigation (Allies/Enemies): The DSI is another U.S secret agency that handles "super science". While they are both supposed to be on the same side, the 2 agencies do not get along well at all. The DSI would like nothing better than to use Metahumans as lab rats but the DMA won't allow it. It hasn't been proven but the DMA is pretty sure that the DSI is up to something shady.

OOS - Office of Occult Studies (Allies): The OOS is another U.S secret agency that handles "all thing magical in nature". One of the PCs' favorite allies, Maggie Arcane, is a member in high standing. She has helped the PCs one several cases.

The Omega Objective (Enemies): Secretive Agency that seeks to wipe out metahumans as part of their plan for World Domination. "World peace can only be achieved through total control and the suppression of free will".

The Cabal of Azor (Enemies): Metahuman terrorists who are seeking their "chosen ones" who will help them bring about the will of their Nihilistic Fire God.

[this is also one of my blogs and will be expanded on there as I get time to write]

nice going heckus

I have to say this sounds like an awesome idea and I'd love to play in something like this.

What point totals did you use when writing up your heroes? Or did I miss them?

I started them out at a painful 150pts for the first night. I think I restricted how much could be spent on each category (Powers/Stats/Skills) and if they were under budget on powers those points could trickle down to stats, and from stats down to skills.

After the first night, a month of game time passed and they got a 25 pt "DMA training" boost in the form of a list of skills to choose from. Adventure 2 was a live fire training exercise after which more time passed and they got another 25 points that they could spend on anything they wanted which was termed as "personal growth". Both 25 boosts came with Disadvantages that they would not have had prior to joining the agency (a few hunteds and "subject to orders"). After that I reverted to standard EXP with the occasional contact, perk, or skill instead of EXP.

Also, i gave them each a choice: They could know that they had some kind of power but assume they were unique OR they could have no idea and roleplay figuring it out as the first adventure progressed. They all chose the second option. It made for great roleplay.

After about 25 episodes (roughly every other week for the last year) they are up to 263.

This may seem low but the "One power" rule and normal CHA max really balances it out. Also, the enemies are balanced towards them also making fights against "agent" level guys more gritty.

There is has only been one NPC in the game with a SPD higher than 4 (he was a gun totting speedster named Colt) and the average is 3. The fights seem to go much faster. Also, its amazing how many points you save when you don't have to buy a lot of DEX, CON, or SPD.

Major Villains:

Rex Manning III: skilled normal; Billionaire Industrialist (weapons design); Last of the Big Game Hunters. His grandfather worked with Nazi Germany and the mysterious Thule Society. Both dad and grandpa were villains killed by the Secret Six. He was raised from birth to hate Metahumans and is believed to be in league (if not in charge of) the Omega Objective (see above). A surprising twist is that his 10 year old son Rex Manning IV is a Meta with the power to talk to animals.

Iron Wolf: Russian cyborg whose specialty is bringing down metahumans. he always does his homework and has hi-tech traps design specifically for his prey's powers. Always has trained agents for back up. As a member of the former-KGB he usually just gets deported (prisoner swap) when caught only to return later.

Elijah Gibson: A seemingly immortal psychic "Omega-level" meta who can steal another's powers by eating their flesh. Creep factor of 10. The team unwittingly released him on the world while investigating a Thule Stone buried in an old mine in Arkansas. There is also evidence that he may have beaten the PCs to a recently discovered Ancient city on the Moon where he stole an artifact off unknown importance.

Migraine: Former DMA gone rogue who is gathering an army of Metas to take there rightful place as masters over mankind. Jealous over having a relatively weak power, he injected himself with an underdeveloped strain of the meta-boosting drug called "Jump" and has since developed massive psychic powers but was left severely deformed. He leads the "Rejex" a team of Lurkers that hate mankind.