Idea for STUNNING in Heroic Level Games

RadeFox

I kinda had this idea sneak up and whack me upside the head with a jar of spaghetti sauce.

Stun is applied after to defenses to character.

If stun is greater then the CON of the character, he is jarred, and loses 1/2 action from his next phase to shake it off.

If the stun taken exceeds his CONx1.5, he is fully stunned, and loses his next full phase to recover.

What do you all think, Herodom? I think whis would still allow for the use of stunning tactics in FH and heroic level campaigns, but still help defend against less powerful (in pts) PC's from getting stunned left and right by KA's.

Hmmm, sounds good. I don't GM low-level games but I think stunning happens a bit more than I'd like in super-hero games, so I would also think it'd be a bigger issue in lower level games. Of course it adds some complexity, but if you're willing to deal with that it's probably a better way, is my gut feel.

I do too. I ran some sample combats and it makes a lot of difference. Being jarred still leaves you some options, at least. A half action only goes so far, but its better then nothing.

As an extra note, I am leaning towards makeing characters who are Jarred operate at 1/2 DCV and OCV during the phase they lose the 1/2 action. They can still operate, just unsteadily.

Im wondering if this has been proposed before? The lack of replies to this thread seem to indicate it may be old crap recycled into the discussion arena.

I doubt if it's been mentioned before, but I suppose it's possible. The stunning rules have been around for a while. It seems like a relatively clean, simple, and effective idea for preventing PCs from getting stunned too much.

But, personally, I don't see the need for it. I like the current stunning rules.

We don't use the stunning rules at all, because it usually means that the first hit decides the fight. If one character hits the other, he can easily land his next hit too, as his enemy is on 1/2 DCV. The only way around that is to be faster. The same speed does not help you, you have to top your enemy...

Good point, I think then for Jarred, I will use 1/2 OCV and normal DCV- Since when your system is rattled a bit, your animal brain will still react mostly instinctively, to keep you out of danger, but it may be harder to focus for anything offensive while your head is clearing. So what we have is thus:

Apply damage after defenses to Stun and Body.

If Stun taken exceeds CON, you are Jarred (1/2 OCV) and lose a 1/2 action on your next phase.

If Stun exceeds CON x 1.5, then you are fully stunned as per the standard rules.

I feel this works real well, having done some small tests. It really will help prevent a firt strike from leaving you a sitting duck and being felled immediately after. Which surely isnt heroic, but it still leaves stunning attacks and weapons a viable choice. :)